× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port forwarding wont save

Matt9378
Aspirant

Port forwarding wont save

Hi, I have a WNDR4300 and i want to port forward various ports. A while ago i forwarded port 80 and that worked fine, but now if i want to port forward any other port it dosn't work. i click add custom service and enter the port i want forwarded and choose the local ip address then click apply. It dosn't show or come up with any errors or messages but just takes me back to the main port forwarding screen and the entry i just made is not there! I have checked that is has the latest firmware but I am wondering if it could be a corrupt firmware version or something. Please help me!

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Port forwarding wont save

So, your post 8, after changing firmware did you factory reset the router, using the small pin-hole reset button?

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 16

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Matt9378,

Welcome to the community!

Sounds like it might be a corrupted firmware. Have you tried resetting the router for 10 seconds? If not please do so and see if it helps.

If the same thing happens, I suggest that you reflash the firmware of the router. Download the latest firmware on the website and upload it.

See this link on how to do firmware upgrade.

Let us know what happens.

Regards,

Message 2 of 16
Matt9378
Aspirant

I have many times reset the router for over 10s but to no avail. 

I'll try the firmware flash now and report back if it works or not.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 16
Matt9378
Aspirant

Nope didnt do anything 😞 It all worked correctly and uploaded and installed but i still cant save the ports.

Im thinking of going to DDWRT.

Message 4 of 16
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you running any applications/plug-ins that might interfere with the way the web browser works with the router e.g. adblocker has been tied with similar issues in the past?

Message 5 of 16
Matt9378
Aspirant

Hmm... Good idea! I'm gonna try to use a different browser with no plugins. 

I'll Report back. 🙂

Thanks

Message 6 of 16
Matt9378
Aspirant

Nope 😞 Tried it on 3 different browsers all with no plugnis and I tried it on 3 different comps.

Thanks

Message 7 of 16
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It is very odd isn’t it? Port forwarding is a pretty fundamental function of the router and the situation you describe would not go un-noticed if it was prevalent. The fact that the issue remains after the re-flash of firmware is also odd.

I suggest that if you wish you make a current backup of your router settings, then flash with an older version of firmware (available by following the ‘Downloads’ link at the top of this page). After flashing firmware make sure you factory reset and then enter settings manually (don't use a saved configuration file), start with the Port Forwarding rules to see if that now works.

Message 8 of 16
Matt9378
Aspirant

Here we go...

I'll Report back.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 16
Matt9378
Aspirant

Ok I rolled back the firmware to 1.0.1.30 from 1.0.2.80 and that worked ok so then i went to reset the settings but...

This shows even after a reboot
Message 10 of 16
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well I would normally think that is a browser issue, maybe a refresh problem or adblocker type issue that we have seen in the past, but you have tried multiple browsers / multiple PCs?

Message 11 of 16
Matt9378
Aspirant

Tried 3 different comps 2 ethernet 1 wifi and i have tried opera(no plugins) firefox(no plugins) chrome(no plugins) chrome(plugins) and all of them have the same result! getting a bit frustrated.

Thanks.

Message 12 of 16
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So, your post 8, after changing firmware did you factory reset the router, using the small pin-hole reset button?

Message 13 of 16
Matt9378
Aspirant

No I havn't tried that. I will but im gonna do it later.

Message 14 of 16
Matt9378
Aspirant

Yep! 🙂 I just reset the router by holding the little red button down and then manualy put in the wan settings and boom it worked!

THX!

Message 15 of 16
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well that’s good. In that case when you are fully happy with your settings I suggest that you save the router configuration to a backup file, then in future if the issue re-appears you could try another factory reset and restore from that backup.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7