Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cant login to openDNS from genie

ulfhedinn
Tutor

Cant login to openDNS from genie

Hello,

I bought this router a few months ago and set everything up including LPC just fine.  It was working for awhile but sometime during then and now it stopped filtering correctly.  When I logged in to troubleshoot I noticed the genie app would not login to OpenDNS, it would give the generic error to make sure you are connected to the internet and try agian.  I have tried from 2 seperate macs and I get the same thing.  From my iphone it just sits and loads, so far over 20 mins, I have tried multiple times.  After a ton of googling I have done the following.

• verified no networks are added to my opendns profile.
  • verfied I CAN login to opendns at https://netgear.opendns.com
  • I also verified the welcome page says everything is working also.  https://www.opendns.com/welcome/
  • I have updated all apps and firmware with the same results.
  • I verified the DNS servers are set to the opendns ones.  
  • Ive tried changing filtering levels and all the other random things from google.  

Why I have to use this crap genie app that is slow and useless and not the UI is beyond me but none the less does anyone have any other ideas?  

Thanks!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
ulfhedinn
Tutor

Re: Cant login to openDNS from genie

I was able to resolve this on my own.  I ended up doing a factory reset to resolve this.  The odd part is I set it up the exact same way as it was previously setup.  Wish I would have figured out what the culprit was.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 14

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ulfhedinn,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 14
ulfhedinn
Tutor

I was able to resolve this on my own.  I ended up doing a factory reset to resolve this.  The odd part is I set it up the exact same way as it was previously setup.  Wish I would have figured out what the culprit was.

Message 3 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ulfhedinn,

Thank you for the update and confirmation.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 14
etmaniac
Aspirant

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue. No longer able to turn on parental controll via Genie, complaining about network connectivity. OpenDNS account active and working, internet is just fine. Without Genie not able to differentiate security levels for clients. Obviously the traffic is still pointed to the openDNS servers and I have ensure that the OpenDNS client is installed on one of our mac's to ensure the proper IP address is used by openDNS.

Any resolutions to the problem? seems to be a software issues with lots of customers raising the issue. BTW, another thing I miss in this newly bought router is time based access per MAC address..

thx

Message 5 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @etmaniac,

Please try the following steps.

1. Try using another device to login to your OpenDNS account via NETGEAR Genie.

2. Make sure you are able to login to your account via https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php.

3. Try uninstalling and re-installing the Genie programs/apps from your devices.

4. If the issue persists, you can perform a factory reset.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 14
etmaniac
Aspirant

Dexter hi

Thanks! That fixed it for me.

Daniel

Message 7 of 14
etmaniac
Aspirant

Dexter hi,

So, interestingly, it worked for a few hours. I have an overall policy "low" for all devices, I added 4 devices with a "moderate" level. that worked for 20 minutes or so.

The internet access then died for 5 minutes, I rebooted the router and once it came back I had the same problem. Not sure why it blocked internet. In the log's there is some complaining about ARP DoS attacks from the ISP Router which is a Casa CMTS... 

Any idea as to why this is happening? Should I have a general low policy with some high, over an overall high with some low? What would be better for the router?

thx

Message 8 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @etmaniac,

That is quite odd. The filtering level combination should not really matter and LPC should not cut off your Internet connection. I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 9 of 14
Xthegreat19
Aspirant

can't log in to genie app iPhone 6

Have tried many times to log on to genie app and have not been able to any advice?

Message 10 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: can't log in to genie app iPhone 6

Hi @Xthegreat19,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of your router?

2. Have you tried the previously suggested steps above?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 11 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: can't log in to genie app iPhone 6

Hi @Xthegreat19,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 12 of 14
dk7800
Aspirant

I have the same issue as the original poster (unable to login to OpenDNS through Genie), with the following additional information:

0. Router model X4S R7800; Firmware V1.0.2.20

1. Before enabling LPC, I had had the router's DNS servers manually set to use OpenDNS servers. I had OpenDNS Home and didn't know that LPC was not compatible.

2. Upon installing Genie and enabling LPC, things worked for a few minutes, but then all internet traffic was blocked.

3. After doing some research, I reset the router's DNS settings to "automatically obtain from ISP". I could then reach the internet from devices.

4. I removed my network from my OpenDNS Home dashboard (because of posts that say you can't have both) and thinking that LPC would be better (more granular settings per device).

5. If I attempt to set my router's DNS servers back to OpenDNS servers, all internet traffic is blocked. So they're left at my ISP's DNS servers.

6. I attempted to use Genie to configure LPC, but the application will not sign into OpenDNS. I can sign in with a browser, however. Why does Genie not work for this?

7. I added a "bypass login" at https://netgear.opendns.com/ but this does not appear in Genie in the login area. The router was rebooted recently.

8. I have tested and now find that no traffic is blocked - definitely not the outcome I was hoping for and wish I never tried LPC or Genie.

What do you recommend, factory reset the router?

Also, how do I switch back from LPC to OpenDNS Home?

Message 13 of 14
ulfhedinn
Tutor

So it happened again, twice since this post.  No changes made at all but parental controls stop working, whenever you try to goto reenable it it just stalls at logging in.  The only fix I have found is to factory reset and reload saved configuration(which never changes).  It seems to happen after frimware upgrades but im not 100% sure.  its pretty annoying though. 

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7