Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BR500 - How do I access an LAN file server and NAS server's files remotely?

dguthrie
Tutor

BR500 - How do I access an LAN file server and NAS server's files remotely?

Setup of BR500 went fine. I am still using the Basic account as we only have 1 Insight compatible device in our group, and only 1 VPN user needed.

VPN Group set up went fine.

SINGLE VPN USER setup went fine and I am able to connect fine.

I am setting this up using a remote Windows computer, but ultimately will be using a Macintosh for 99% of access in the future.

I am able to ping known servers at the other end after connecting the VPN service to the office. How do I access an LAN file server's and NAS server's files and folders at the other end remotely, if I cannot add them as a mapped network drive, or mounted drive using the VPN connection? This is the main purpose of our purpose. I am having great difficulty finding any documentation indicating this process. I need to know how to see and access file server's files and folders remotely for both a Macintosh and Windows computer please.

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 15
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Re: BR500 - How do I access an LAN file server and NAS server's files remotely?

How are you attempting to connect to them? Through IP or hostname? Currently the InsightVPN does not work with hostname resolution and you would need to use the IP address to connect to the resources. 

Message 2 of 15
dguthrie
Tutor

I did try both ways to connect to office computers. I am very familiar with finding the file servers with an IP address, not browsing thru a network.I need to see files and folders of 2 other servers at the office.

I am now experiencing an issue of the VPN group disappearing after I try to logout and then relogin. I cannot access the VPN group now. This is quite frustrating, NOT the easy plug and play as described in Netgear's marketing material at all. I am now trying to set up an iMac to see if things are smoother there. Please send materials, articles, whatever tells me how to fix this issue. I do not want to send the unit back, but it seems to not be ready to use for our needs away from the office. Please advise.

Message 3 of 15
dguthrie
Tutor

Another wall trying to set up this VPN. I now cannot get a macintosh to get past the "Checking Files and Folders" when booting up the application on an iMac. See screenshot attached. iMac is running Yosemite OS version 10.10.5. To be honest, I need this running on a Macintosh more than windows. Every direction I turn to, seems to be one issue after another. Why does it take 2 to 3 days to get support replies?! Frustrating for sure.

Message 4 of 15
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

Are you able to try the older client on the support page to verify it is able to get past the loading screen? Is your iMAC able to be upgraded to the latest macOS Mojave version?

Message 5 of 15
dguthrie
Tutor

Thank you for the quick response.
I am going to do further testing tomorrow on the iMac. The iMac I am working with currently is at it's maximum OS allowed on that device.

I could not locate an older version of the software to test yet. Could you give me a link to the software for OS 10.10.5?

I will be testing on a MacBook Pro running Mojave that will be available to me in the morning. I will keep you posted as to what I find on that machine as well.

Message 6 of 15
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Message 7 of 15
dguthrie
Tutor

MrJoshW,

I have successfully invited and installed the latest InsightVPNClient on the Macintosh Laptop running the latest Mojave. I have launched and logged into the account that will be used on that machine remotely. I was able to see the VPN Group I assigned to the VPN User. All seems correct and connected and I so see data readouts as expected. I tested the logout, log back in, and all seems well and consistant as far as being able to see the VPN group everytime (there is only 1 group available). We are testing this laptop by having the user use their phone and phone service as a hotspot to similate the effect of being out of the office with the laptop, we even disconnected the Cat5 cable they normally use.
When I try to connect to or even ping a known file server in the office, I cannot get connected, no matter what. What am I missing here? I am using IP addressing to try to access the file server(s) and get nothing.
Here are my steps AFTER I am connected to the VPN connection and Group on the Mac:
1. From the finder menu "Go" / Select "Connect to Server"

2. Top line of the window opened I use our file servers IP address and enter: "smb://192.168.20.xxx" and hit "Connect" at the bottom. I would expect to quickly see some sort of choice of drives to mount on that server I am trying to connect, like we do at the office. I get nothing like that at all but a long wait while it tries to connect, but then a messege saying that the IP is not available. I cannot even ping the address of that server either, yet the netgear window says I am connected to the subnet of "  192.168.20.*  ", which is correct and is hour Subnet IP scheme inhouse.

Please advise as to why I cannot get this Laptop to connect to our files servers as if he is in our office. This was the point of the purchase of the BR500. As it states on your sales materials I have in front of me right now.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Message 8 of 15
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Andrew,

There may be a loss of route to the BR500, can you verify if you can ping the BR500 when connecting with the VPN client?

Message 9 of 15
dguthrie
Tutor

Ping of BR500 LAN ip address times out as well. 193.168.20.3. Is this what you wanted me to try?

Message 10 of 15
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

If that is the IP address to VLAN 1 of the BR500 and times out it sounds like the client lost the route to the BR500. Can you post the output of the route table for me by running command netstat -nr. Are you using the 1.0.0.15 client?

Message 11 of 15
dguthrie
Tutor

I am away from the office now. Is there a way to give you that info while out of the office?
Message 12 of 15
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

You would need access to the device you are trying to use in question to get the route tables from the terminal screen. Once you have the output you can send me a private message with the information.

Message 13 of 15
jdrch
Apprentice

I had approximately the same problem. The issue is that Insight VPN assigns clients an IP address in an entirely different subnet from the LAN, resulting in the client being unable to see anything on the LAN. The client is given a 10.* IP address, which isn't helpful if the LAN is 192.168.0.* (or a different subnet). Basically a sloppy implementation by Netgear that makes Insight useless for VPNing into home networks.

The solution to this is to set up OpenVPN using the Netgear Dynamic DNS service (which is literally a resold NoIP service using the same credentials database, so if you have a previous NoIP account you'll either have use that or create a new one. For some reason Netgear doesn't tell users this.) Anyway, OpenVPN assigns IP addresses correctly and will allow you to connect to your home LAN.

The BR500 is a complete joke as an enterprise product. Speaking as an owner. The only reason I use it for the easy OpenVPN implementation. Otherwise it would have been on eBay a few weeks ago already.

Message 14 of 15
dguthrie
Tutor

**UPDATE**

User has had the chance finally to be off-site, approx. 15 miles away, using his home Wifi and logged into the VPN client no problem. (Apparently, his phone connection that we were testing this with was very slow and we were experiencing a serious lag in service in general.) Anyway he WAS able to access both file servers with out any issues what-so-ever and pretty speedy at that he said. Even though the VPN does assign a 10.*.*.* IP address it does map to our subnet of 192.168.20.* correctly for connectivity. User tested an 80 mb file to and from the office servers and they transferred in less than a minute without issue. User, (Owner of company) is content and I am pleased it is working. At this point, I thank you or your assistance on this matter as long as things keep working consistently.

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements