Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Custom ports blocked: Port range conflicts with default service

techvslife
Novice

Custom ports blocked: Port range conflicts with default service

I have a new dual wan FVS336GV2 router, and installed the latest firmware. But I find it I can't configure it the same as my old dual wan router. I run into two problems:

1. When I create a "custom service" (i.e. a custom port) for the firewall, it sometimes allows me to do so, but other times gives the error message "port range conflicts with a default service" (i.e. one of netgear's built in port rules.) But it shows only names (e.g. "finger") and not port numbers, so not entirely sure what it would use. Also, I would just like to set one port range without running into that conflict message--is there any way to delete the built-in netgear "default" ports/services, or at least have it show the exact port number each one uses.

2. My old router allowed one port open rule to bind to both wans. So far, it seems (in failover configuration) that i have to set up the same rule twice on each WAN, one for WAN1 and one for WAN2 (i.e. the "WAN Destination IP address"). Is there any way to get it to use each of the rules for both the primary and the failover WAN?

Thank you.
Message 1 of 3
adit
Mentor

Re: Custom ports blocked: Port range conflicts with default service

No and No. I have recently requested that the list the predefined rules to include the port number and protocol. i.e. HTTP-80-TCP, DNS-53-UDP. I suggest you do the same with Tech Support. You cannot create a custom Service that conflicts with a built-in Service. i.e port 500 UDP (used for IPSec VPN), port 80 HTTP TCP, etc. You have to define rules for each WAN.
Message 2 of 3
techvslife
Novice

Re: Custom ports blocked: Port range conflicts with default service

adit,
Thank you for the quick response. I'll send tech support a message about it. It would be fairly easy for them to correct this, and the current approach doesn't appear to make much sense to me.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements