Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NetGear ProSafe SRX5308 - Help configuring

aanypi
Follower

NetGear ProSafe SRX5308 - Help configuring

I've been trying to configure my SRX5308 without much luck. I should start by stating that the item could be defective as I've had it in storage for a while.

I use Virgin Media broadband and the incoming internet connection is fine. I've tested the Super Hub 3 in both 'router mode' & 'modem mode'. I've also contacted Virgin to ask if there is any reason my 3rd party router applicance would be incompatible with their service. They performed checks, confirmed everything is good & stated there should be no reason why the SRX5308 should not work.

I switched my Virgin Super Hub 3 into modem mode and ran a cable to my SRX5308 WAN port 1. For simplicity, I just ran a cable from the SRX5308 LAN port 1 directly to my laptop for the initial setup.

When I try to log into the SRX5308, I can't view the webpage in Safari at all. It complains about certificate errors and will not show the webpage at all. I can't find a way to override this. I managed to view in Firefox once by overriding the warning until I updated the firmware to the latest version. Once I did that, I couldn't use Firefox again because it complained about spoofed certificates. I can log into the SRX5308 console in Chrome.

Once in, I go to the WAN configuration section. I attempt to configure the connection by asking it to retrieve the ISP & DNS settings automaticallly. This seems to fail. I can confirm there is an orange light on the right of the WAN port. If I enter the ISP settings manually, the orange light turns green. The problem here is that I know my IP and Gateway but not the subnet mask but this info is enough to get a reaction from the router. It does not, however, provide me with an internet connection but the console changes the status from DOWN to UP. Setting the ISP info manually is not really a good option because I don't have a static IP.

I've reset the router to factory default and I've updated the firmware to v4.3.5-3.

Is the fact I receive certificate warnings and have difficulty viewing the webpage to configure the device reason enough to state the device is defective?

Is it that Virgin is incorrect and for some reason the SRX5308 is incompatible with my ISP?

Is there a way I can perform a hardware check to verify if the device is ok? I want to be confident where the issue is so I have the choice to sell the router to replace with something else.

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 3

Re: NetGear ProSafe SRX5308 - Help configuring

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but your device is nothing like those covered in this section, so you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Smart / Plus / Click Switches - NETGEAR Communities

or here:

Discuss Ethernet Switches Plus and Pro Managed

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NetGear ProSafe SRX5308 - Help configuring

@aanypi,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Since the Virgin Super Hub 3 is set to modem mode, are you able to get internet access if you connect a PC/laptop directly to it?  If yes, kindly do the steps below: 

1. Disconnect the PC/laptop from the  Virgin Super Hub 3.  Then, connect the  Virgin Super Hub 3 to the WAN1  port of the SRX5308.

2. Connect the same PC/laptop to the LAN port of the SRX5308. Then login to the web-GUI of the SRX5308.

3. On the web-GUI of the SRX5308, go to Network Configuration > WAN Settings > WAN Mode.

4. Select NAT. 

5. Click Apply. 

6. Go to Network Configuration > WAN Settings > WAN Setup.  

7. Click Edit on WAN1.  The WAN1 IPv4 ISP Settings screen displays.

8. In the section that says Does Your Internet Connection Require a Login?, select No.

9. In the ISP Type section, select Other (PPPoE).  On the Idle Timeout, select Keep Connected. 

10. In the Internet Address and DNS Servers sections, select 'Get Dynamically from ISP' and 'Get Automatically from ISP' respectively.

11. Click Apply.

12. Check if the Internet LED of the corresponding WAN1 port turns green.  Once it turned green, check if you can access the internet through the SRX5308. 

Note: If ever the Internet LED did not lit up green, turn off the SRX5308 and modem.  Make sure the modem is completely turned off.  Then after 5 seconds, turn on first the modem and wait for it to initialize.  Then, turn on the SRX5308.  Observe if the Internet LED of the corresponding WAN port you are using turns green.

If there is still no internet access after doing the steps above, follow the steps below:

1.  Get the same PC/laptop then connect it directly to the Virgin Super Hub 3 that is still set to modem mode.  Make sure that you are able to access the internet.

2. Disconnect the PC/laptop.  Then, connect the Virgin Super Hub 3 to the WAN1 port of the SRX5308.

3. Connect the same PC/laptop to the LAN port of the SRX5308. Then login to the web-GUI of the SRX5308.

4. On the web-GUI of the SRX5308, go to Network Configuration > WAN Settings > WAN Setup.

5. Click Edit on WAN1.  The WAN1 IPv4 ISP Settings screen displays

6. In the WAN IPv4 Settings table, click the Edit button for the WAN interface that you want to configure. The WAN IPv4 ISP Settings screen displays.

7. Click the Advanced option arrow in the upper right of the screen.

8. In the Router's MAC Address section, select "Use this computer's MAC Address."

9. Click Apply.

10. Check if the Internet LED of the corresponding WAN1 port turns green.  Once it turned green, check if you can access the internet through the SRX5308. 

Note: If the Public WAN IP Address is still not registered to the SRX5308 (or the Internet LED of WAN1 is not lit up green), turn off the SRX5308 and modem.  Make sure the modem is completely turned off.  Then after 5 seconds, turn on first the modem and wait for it to initialize.  Then, turn on the SRX5308.  Observe if the Internet LED of the corresponding WAN port you are using turns green.

Hope it helps. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements