× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Plastic Washers

Joliet_tech
Aspirant

Plastic Washers

Why are there plastic washers in the moutning kit?  I thought that the intention was to make sure  that  the switch was grounded through the mounting screws.  Using the washers will prevent this.

I hope someone can enlighten me.

Thanks

Model: GS324TP|NETGEAR® S350 Series 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Plastic Washers

There are zillions of theories when it comes to grounding, and then one more.

The only mandatory grounding is established on the grounding wire of the power connection, which is internally connected to the enclosure.

A metal screw head on a painted surface like a switch enclosure is more a hit-and-miss than providing any reliable grounding. The only reason for the plastic washers is to avoid scratches on the switch front panel, around the screw holes in my understanding.

Message 2 of 4
Joliet_tech
Aspirant

So they would go between the mounting ears and the rack?  Otherwise, i'm not sure that  they would be protecting anything of interest. Who cares if the front of the rack is scratched!   

Thanks.  It is at least  A REASON.  I left them off on this installation.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Joliet_tech wrote:

So they would go between the mounting ears and the rack?

I don't think so. If the aim would be a proper ground segregation (isolation, keeping the switch off from the rack ground) more effort would be required. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements