× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RSTP loop detection and recovery

alteholz
Aspirant

RSTP loop detection and recovery

Hi,

while searching this forum I found several similar questions, but no real answers, so I am trying my luck as well.

I am using a GC728X with firmware 1.0.5.25, B1.0.0.4. When enabling RSTP and there is a loop detected, one port goes into state D-Disabled. I can manually reset the port when the loop breaks up. But is there also a way to automatically enable the port when the loop disappeared?

Best regards

Thorsten

Model: GC728X|Insight Managed 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ Fiber Ports
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RSTP loop detection and recovery

Hi @alteholz 

Welcome to Community!

There is diferent between RSTP and L2 Loop Protection, this is two different feature.

RSTP is used in scenario that all switches support spanning-tree in the network, L2 Loop Protection is used for connect one non-support spanning-tree device(like: Hub).

For RSTP: it will not D-disable port when detect there is loop in the topology, only change port status to Discard, and will recover automatically if the Loop is broken.

For L2 Loop Protection: it will D-disable port when detect there is loop in the topology, and if you want to Recover it automatically, you can set the 'Recovery Timer' to a specific value(by default: it's 0, mean not recover automatic).

And on GC728X switch, it will eanble RSTP and disable L2 Loop Protection feature by default. We don't suggest eanble these two protocol meanwhile, as it's conflict. 

So please check the configuration of 'Switching->STP' page and 'Switching-L2 Loop Protection' page on your switch, suggest enable RSTP and disable L2 Loop Protection.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

EricZ

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @alteholz 

Welcome to Community!

There is diferent between RSTP and L2 Loop Protection, this is two different feature.

RSTP is used in scenario that all switches support spanning-tree in the network, L2 Loop Protection is used for connect one non-support spanning-tree device(like: Hub).

For RSTP: it will not D-disable port when detect there is loop in the topology, only change port status to Discard, and will recover automatically if the Loop is broken.

For L2 Loop Protection: it will D-disable port when detect there is loop in the topology, and if you want to Recover it automatically, you can set the 'Recovery Timer' to a specific value(by default: it's 0, mean not recover automatic).

And on GC728X switch, it will eanble RSTP and disable L2 Loop Protection feature by default. We don't suggest eanble these two protocol meanwhile, as it's conflict. 

So please check the configuration of 'Switching->STP' page and 'Switching-L2 Loop Protection' page on your switch, suggest enable RSTP and disable L2 Loop Protection.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

EricZ

Message 2 of 3
alteholz
Aspirant

Hi @Retired_Member,

thanks a lot for your answer. Now everything is clear!

Best regards

Thorsten

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements