× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switches vlan not passing dhcp

Jeremyse
Tutor

Switches vlan not passing dhcp

I’m having a difficult time configuring VLAN routing or some semblance of it on my network. Currently I have a:

GC728X  - core switch

GC728 XP- leaf switch

GC510 PP -access Switch NW

GC108P- access Switch SE

WAC540 Qty 9

BR500

Cisco RV-345

Currently I have the Cisco RV 345 connected to my main switch which is the GC728X on port one. The BR 500 is connected on port two. I’ve set up a lag port on 27 and 28 on both the GC728X and the GC728 XP using 10 Gb fiber SFP’s. The other access switches as I’ve name them are connected to the core switch. I’ve been trying to create VLANs that pass DHCP traffic to my APs for several SSIDs I have created specifically staff and guest SSIDs.

The management VLAN, VLAN1 is 10.0.0.0/20

the Cisco RV 345 which also provides DHCP now has an IP address of 10.0.0.1

the BR 500 has an IP address of 10.0.0.2

the course which has an IP address of 10.0.0.3

the leaf switch has an IP address of 10.0.0.4

and so on and so forth

the WAC 540 start at 10.0.0.200 through 209

Using the insight app and the web portal I have configured VLAN 10 for guest traffic with an IP subnet of 10.10.0.0/20 and its internal traffic for staff with an IP subnet of 10.20.0.0/20. I have also created SSID for guest and one for staff. I then set the PVID for those SSIDs to the appropriate VLAN. When I when I joined those wireless networks I do not get an IP in those ranges rather 169.254.X.X .

Neither the Apple or the web portal is very descriptive when it comes to creating the VLANs. I’ve done this a couple different ways so let me walk you through what I’ve done on the guest VLAN. I created walks me through the wizard it asked several questions. I will be utilizing the web portal steps for this VLAN.

Once I click add it brings up a window titled create VLAN/network set up. It states this set up will create network VLANs which support both wired and wireless devices. I click continue and it says warning this VLAN will not be sent to business routers with no truck or access port members I click okay to continue and it brings up a window to create the network name, provide a description, network type, the VLAN name, and VLAN ID. 

I populate the information for VLAN name I put guest for VLAN ID I put 10 and then click next. The next screen is the port member screen. Since this should be trunked I trunk ports 1,2, and the lag ports on the core switch, and ports one through nine on the leaf switch which correspond to the WAC 540s and I trunk port to on the BR 500 which is connected to port two on the core switch. The WAC540s have port one trunked by default. Priority is set to zero and I’m not currently using radius so I then click next which takes me to the wireless configuration screen. Since I already have my S SID’s set up I click skip.

The next screen is the IP configuration which has one of three options, DHCP, static, or none, I’ve tried each if I select DHCP it states DHCP client will be enabled on devices. I don’t know what devices unless you’re talking about my switches which really isn’t something I care about since at least in the management VLAN the IPs are already set. If I click static brings up a window to allow me to assign static IP’s to those devices if I click none, I get a warning message that states if none, no VLAN IP routing configuration is applied obviously not what I wanted to do.

So in this instance I select static, I sent my subnet mask two 255.255.240.0 and then I provide an IP address for each switch listed that mirrors the IP’s on VLAN1 so for my core switch VIP on VLAN one is 10.0.0.3 and the IP on VLAN 10 is 10.10.0.3

after clicking next to brings me to a screen to dictate my BR device or bridge device this is the BR 500 VLAN ID is set to 10 gateway IP address I set to 10.10.0.1 the point to the Cisco RV 345 subnet mask set 255.255.240.0 and DHCP server is disabled. Clicking next takes me to the network sharing to select one or more networks to exchange traffic with in this instance I do not wish to share traffic with any other VLANs so I click next which brings me to the summary page where I can select back or confirm. I choose the latter and as its populating going through all the steps I see red exes but then it comes up with successful network set up has successfully completed. However, in the notifications under warning I see the following warnings unable to apply the VLAN member configuration for device leaf switch. Which tells me very little information other than the fact that the ports on my leaf switch more than likely are not configured properly for the VLAN.

Being undeterred I went ahead and assigned this VLAN to the appropriate SSID the test and the result is as expected from previous efforts.

Confused as to what I’m missing here I’ve done a factory reset on all the devices thinking that the ROM was corrupted, but I still cannot seem to get things to function the way I want them to. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Model: GC728XP|Insight Managed 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ Fiber Ports
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Switches vlan not passing dhcp

@Jeremyse,

Please make sure that all of the uplinks are assigned as T or Tagged on their designated VLAN in order for you to pass through those VLANs on your SSIDs. 

You may try to test it first by connecting your PC to one of the ports of the 2nd switch and let it request an IP to your VLAN by using dynamic settings. If it did work, then that's the time that you will try to configure your AP.

May you be able to share your network topology and also screenshots?

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Switches vlan not passing dhcp

@Jeremyse,

Please make sure that all of the uplinks are assigned as T or Tagged on their designated VLAN in order for you to pass through those VLANs on your SSIDs. 

You may try to test it first by connecting your PC to one of the ports of the 2nd switch and let it request an IP to your VLAN by using dynamic settings. If it did work, then that's the time that you will try to configure your AP.

May you be able to share your network topology and also screenshots?

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements