× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What does a Static DNS entry do on a managed switch

Richard_li
Apprentice

What does a Static DNS entry do on a managed switch

So I have read the manual, but if someon could explain in a non-network guys terminology it would help me out a great deal. As stated above I have a GC752X Inisght managed switch. Page 59 in the manual explains how to setup Static Entries to the Dynamic Host Mapping Table. So in the realm of DHCP, dynamic and static are opposing terms and yet here it is saying you add a static entry to the dynamic table. What purpose does this function server? My environment is as follows....

SB8200 Modem, running LACP on both ports

Cisco ASA 5515x, acting as a router and firewall.

Netgear GC752X 52-port switch

Server 2016 Domain, 2 domain controllers running DNS

Both also running DHCP, newer feature of Server 2016 is failover DHCP in case one is not available.

Netgear X10 R9000 in Access Point mode for WiFi

So I have functioning DNS via Windows Server 2016. I entered both DNS servers in the section of the Web GUI for the switch under "DNS>DNS Configuration"

I can set entries under "DNS>HostConfiguration" for Host Name = IPv4/IPv6 Address

What do these things do? Can I use this for DNS redirection of sorts? I do have some random internal websites with different suffixes, maybe I can enter them here?

Model: GC752X|Insight Managed 52-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ 10G Fiber Ports
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: What does a Static DNS entry do on a managed switch

Well, the only DNS query happening is for the "web.ddns.net" - from here you hit some NAT or port forwarding to a LAN IP and no more DNS query will happen on the LAN.

The only noteable exception might be if you run some load balancer or application proxy which can work internally on internal FQDNs.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

On  System > Management > DNS > Host Configuration  you can put up FQDN host names to IP address, just like the A (IPv4) resp. AAAA (IPv6) records on a DNS server do - of course just to the standard non-secure DNS.

On the  System > Management > DNS > DNS Configuration ... DNS Default Name field, enter the default DNS domain name to be include in DNS queries where only a hostname is provided.

Message 2 of 7
Richard_li
Apprentice

@schumaku 

Thanks man!

so please forgive me, I'm not a networking guy so much as a more infrastructure systems guy, meaning I do more on the VMWare and server side of things not so much switching and routing.

My example I'm about to give is really REALLY exact, this switch is something I put in my lab to replace an ancient Cisco 2960 mostly for the 10Gb connections.

I run some internal websites, and I use them with my local domain name "web.domain.local". I used Dynamic DNS service to map it externally to "web.ddns.net", and I have a 1to1 NAT and ACL on my firewall to translate it to my internal web server being "10.50.18.x". When I open up a browser, and go to "web.ddns.net" it routes out to the interwebs, then back into my network. Obviously I'm trying to eliminate some hops if I can.

I entered in the HostName and IP under "DNS Host Configuration" but how do I tell my network machines to look here for DNS? Just add it to the DHCP server as one of the DNS servers? I had tried that but Windows Server says it doesn't see that this server is running DNS as a service or something like that. And as far as I can tell nothing is looking to it anyway even when I add it regardless of that error. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong here?

Model: GC752X|Insight Managed 52-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ 10G Fiber Ports
Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Well, the only DNS query happening is for the "web.ddns.net" - from here you hit some NAT or port forwarding to a LAN IP and no more DNS query will happen on the LAN.

The only noteable exception might be if you run some load balancer or application proxy which can work internally on internal FQDNs.

Message 4 of 7
Richard_li
Apprentice

ok, so it seems I wont be able to get the NetGear switch to do what I'm looking for, but in case anyone else has something like this in mind, I just set the DNS on the switch to use my PiHole server, and adjusted the PiHole Server host file with the internal entries and all is well. tested that my external is still working as expected using the DDNS.net address.

Thanks @schumaku for the help earlier, I be slowly learning netowrk crap!

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

AFAIK the switch DNS server settings apply only to the switch management CPU operations.

Message 6 of 7
Richard_li
Apprentice

I believe that is the case, since everything I have tried doesn't seem to get any sort of resolution to occur on the switch.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements