× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BPDU Guard, loop protection and more traffic management features on M4100

andrearp
Follower

BPDU Guard, loop protection and more traffic management features on M4100

Hi, I'm having doubts regarding the BPDU Filtering and Guard feature on the Switch. CLI Manual provides just the commands, there's not much in the Software Admin Guide, which does explain some features.

AFAIK, I have a few usefult features in HP/Cisco Switches which probably have a counterpart in M4100 and higher. So here I'm comparing how the commands are entered on the HP and Cisco, and trying to find out how to reach the same result on the M4100.

I'm a starting to have  a few M4100s around (uhmm.. maybe 50?) and I need to better "translate" some feature configs I'm used to.

ON THE CISCO: if you enable BPDU Guard, it is enabled on the switch globally, ONLY on ALL the ports that have  PortFast  Enabled. An errdisable-timeout interval allows to set a recovery timer should a port become disabled for this, to be used together with set errdisable-timeout enable bpdu-guard.

THEN ON THE M4100: I see bpduguard is a global command; but does it affect all ports anyway? Or only on those configured in a specific mode (they can be access, trunk... )? Is it possible to control which ports are affected?? I could not find any errdisable timer in the M4100 manual, nor a clear reference to the affected ports. Is there a way to mitigate the effect?

ON THE HP: the command is per-port and allows to enter the port range to be affected by entering spanning-tree [portlist] bpdu-protection; to my understanding, this has the same effect as the global BPDU guard on PortFast enabled ports on the Cisco: ports get disabled if they receive BPDUs; then the HP, as the Cisco, has command to set auto-recovery for these ports, which is spanning-tree [portlist] bpdu-protection-timeout

THEN how can I do this on the M4100?

Then there's a command in the M4100 which is BPDU flooding, which is not clear what should be used for.

And, finally, I have doubts regarding loop protection. This feature exists in many switches, including HP and Cisco, but on the HP in particular is works separately from STP/MSTP, and should be configured as a different feature, usually on access (printers, pc and so on) ports. What is the recommendation for M4100 series switches?

Model: M4100-26G-PoE (GSM7226LP)|ProSAFE 26-port Gigabit Fully Managed L2 Switch with PoE
Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: BPDU Guard, loop protection and more traffic management features on M4100

Hi andrearp,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I inquired about your concern and found out that a higher tier of NETGEAR Support was able to help you when you have contacted NETGEAR Support. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements