× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing Port MAC addresses

wfrederi
Aspirant

Changing Port MAC addresses

I am using a GSM7328S switch and an XSM7224S switch. Both switches appear to have the same MAC address configured for each port (in GUI via Switching->Ports->Port Description). Is there a way to change the port MAC addresses to make them unique for each port?

Model: XSM7224S|ProSAFE 24-port Managed 10G Stackable fiber Switch
Message 1 of 5
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: Changing Port MAC addresses

Hi,

I don't think that you can on a Netgear switch, officially. I would suggest that you contact support and ask them if there is a way to do that.

Cheers

Message 2 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi wfrederi,

Welcome to the community!

MAC Address is a unique identifier assigned to network interfaces. There is no way that these 2 switches have the same mac address on each port. We cannot modify these information on our switches.

Regards,

Message 3 of 5
wfrederi
Aspirant

I'm not saying that the MAC address is the same between the switches. I'm saying each port on the switches is the same MAC address in the Port Description table (e.g. Port 1 MAC Address is 12:34:56:78:90:ab, Port 2 MAC Address is 12:34:56:78:90:ab, Port 3 MAC Address is 12:34:56:78:90:ab, etc. - obviously, these aren't the actual MAC addresses; the point is that they are all the same). Having the same MAC address on each port complicates things for the RSTP protocol. If there is, however, no way to change these addresses (or to somehow make the RSTP protocol traffic to identify a different source MAC address for each port), then I guess that's that.
Message 4 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@wfrederi,

By default, the one showing is the MAC address of the switch itself. Once you connect a device to it, it will automatically learn the MAC address and it will show it on the specific port. Unfortunately, there is no way that we can modify it. Were you having problems on enabling RSTP?

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements