× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Config backup solution - M4300/M4100?

Config backup solution - M4300/M4100?

I'm crowdsourcing a config backup solution for our array of M4300/M4100 switches. I was hoping there would be an "archive" function similar to Cisco, but no such luck (feature request? :)).

I know NMS is available, but I have extremely negative opinions about it. Namely, that it relies on Flash, and that the config backups only work over telnet, which is not an option - in this day and age, it's unacceptable to run telnet on an enterprise network.

Message 1 of 3
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Config backup solution - M4300/M4100?

Thank you for your message. Stay tuned, NMS300 is getting ready for HTTPS web interface (management)  as well as for SSH (jobs like backup/restore).  NMS300 remains your best option for managing M4100, M4200, M4300 etc. 

The new version of NMS300 should come within four weeks, please keep in touch until then.

Flash is only used for graphics, counters etc. in the web interface, you can block Flash as you see fit when using NMS300.

Regards,

Message 2 of 3

Re: Config backup solution - M4300/M4100?

Laurent,

Thanks for your response! It's disappointing that Netgear is not moving away from Flash like virtually everyone else has - especially since its support in Chrome and Firefox is diminished to the point of being non-functional. I had NMS running in our environment a year ago but it was slow and borderline unusable because of the Flash issue - which is a shame, because when it works, it works well.

Glad to hear NMS will be updated, though given its limitations I may have to custom build something just for TFTP config backups. Our environment runs a standard config, so it's not a deal breaker to not have backups, but it does make recovering from an outage a lot swifter. 🙂

Thanks anyway!

TTT

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements