× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Details on LLDP-MED TLVs?

msi
Luminary
Luminary

Details on LLDP-MED TLVs?

Hi

I've been using your M4300 switches for some months now and I've tried reading up on PoE+ and LLDP-MED which in part is used to negotiate power delivery between ad powered device (PD) and a the switch, the power sourcing equipment (PSE).

Since some ports are located in pretty "untrustworthy" environments, I've always opted to limite the amount of LLDP information send from switches by some ports.

I've read about the options '(no) lldp med transmit-tlv' ex-pd and ex-pse.

Do I read correctly that ex-pse is what is needed on the switch to be enabled for a powered device to request additional wattage from the Switch? - And what does ex-pd actually do?

The CLI documentation only mentions these TLVs but doesn't go into much more detail about that they do, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance.

Model: GSM4328PB | M4300-28G-PoE+24x1G PoE+ Stackable Managed Switch with 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ (1000WPSU), GSM4352PB | M4300-52G-PoE+48x1G PoE+ Stackable Managed Switch with 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ (1000WPSU)
Message 1 of 3
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Details on LLDP-MED TLVs?

Sadly no reply so far.

It likely is about what other vendors call Power over MDI which is a way for a powered device (PD) to tell the power sourcing equipment (PSE) over particular LLDP-MED TLV what power level it needs and the PSE can tell the PD the other way what it is capable of.

Likely ex-pse is what should be enabled on the switch side if you want PoE+ devices to properly negotiate power levels with the PoE+ switch. I doubt that ex-pd is likely only interesting to switches that can be powered over PoE themselves like the GSM5212P in the M4100 line where such a switch can ask for more PoE power when it needs to draw more when additional devices get attached to as it can do PoE passthrough up to a certain level while being powered over PoE(+).

I'd appreciate if someone from Netgear could comment on this to confirm or reject what I found based on guessing and comparing with other vendors who have a bit more documentation on that topic.

Message 2 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Details on LLDP-MED TLVs?

Hi @msi ,

Welcome to the community!

Yes, on Switch GUI, please go to 'System'-->'LLDP'-->'LLDP-MED'-->'Interface Configuration' page, and the TLV 'Extended MDI-PSE' is used for supply power to PD via LLDP, then you need enable this config on the port that connet to PD.

Meanwhile, please make sure your PD also support PoE by LLDP.

Hope it helps!

Regards,                                                                                                                                  EricZ                                                                                                                     

NETGEAR employee

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements