× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does M4300 support DHCP Reservation or DHCP Static mapping?

JACK-THINK
Guide

Does M4300 support DHCP Reservation or DHCP Static mapping?

I have a database which contains MAC and IP mappings. I want the built-in DHCP server to assign the designated IP address to the client with the specific MAC address in strict conformity with the database automatically. This function is called "DHCP-Static Mapping" on Cisco switches and it should behave like

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2sb/12_2sba/feature/guide/sbhcpsm.html

. How can I configure the M4300 to load the database? Thanks a lot.

Plus, I have also tried "System-Services-DHCP Pool Configuration". And it turns out that I have to create ONE "manual_pool" for EACH MAC-IP mapping. It's REALLY tedious and boring. Is there any convenient way to load an external text-based database? Thanks a lot.

Model: XSM4324S|M4300-12X12F - Stackable Managed Switch with 24x10G including 12x10GBASE-T and 12xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Does M4300 support DHCP Reservation or DHCP Static mapping?

Hi @JACK-THINK 

Welcome to Commuity!

Currently, M4300 not support this function. For DHCP Reservation, just as you said, only support one "manual_pool" for EACH MAC-IP mapping.

Regards,

Eric

Message 2 of 6
JACK-THINK
Guide

@Retired_Member 

Thanks a lot for your reply.

As the core of LAN, L3 switch really needs DHCP reservation, which is indispensable. It would be great if the your developers can add this feature I stated above to M4300.

Model: XSM4324S|M4300-12X12F - Stackable Managed Switch with 24x10G including 12x10GBASE-T and 12xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@JACK-THINK 

One more question, how many DHCP-Static mapping table in your network? I will ask developer to estimate the feasibility for this feature.

Message 4 of 6
JACK-THINK
Guide

@Retired_Member 

Thanks for your reply.

I use M4300-12X12F as an Access and Core Switch, only 20 clients are attached to it now. According to the datasheet of M4300(DHCP Server: 2K leases IPv4: 256 pools IPv6: 16 pools), the switch is capable of holding much more MAC-IP mappings than 20. I think it's appropriate to make the number of mappings equal to the number of physical ports on the switch at least.

Thanks a lot.

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@JACK-THINK 

Ok, got it.

Thanks for your detailed information.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements