× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware image too large

Squrppi
Aspirant

Firmware image too large

I acquired a second-hand "GS724T V3H1" managed switch. Updating the firmware fails. Any ideas?

Before taking the unit into use, I pushed the "Factory Defaults" button.

The switch itself seems to work fine, so my issue is only with outdated firmware.

I'm stuck at Boot Version 5.0.3.2 and Software Version 4.2.1.9. I downloaded GS716Tv2_GS724Tv3_V5.4.2.30.zip from GS724Tv3 support page and followed the instructions to upload the .stk file. Dual Image Status shows Image1 Ver 4.2.1.9 and Image2 Ver 5.4.2.30. Active is image1.

Uploading the new .stk goes fine. The memory log shows this message after upload:

"<12> Mar 08 19:52:29 192.168.0.61-1 SIM[2177158732]: transfer.c(3088) 1 %% Image size is more than max size"

The file size is 4 234 019 bytes

After reboot, unsurprisingly, I'm still at 4.2.1.9.

I did re-download the zip, and re-upload the .stk file from the new zip. Same results.

Model: GS724Tv3|24 ports ProSafe Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Firmware image too large

@Squrppi,

Welcome to the community! 

Have you also tried a different firmware such as v5.0.2.22 (you can download it here)?

Since the current firmware of the switch is v4.2.1.9, please refer to this guide instead. Also, you'll need to activate image2 first and confirm that it is the next-active image before rebooting.

Regards, 

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Squrppi,

Welcome to the community! 

Have you also tried a different firmware such as v5.0.2.22 (you can download it here)?

Since the current firmware of the switch is v4.2.1.9, please refer to this guide instead. Also, you'll need to activate image2 first and confirm that it is the next-active image before rebooting.

Regards, 

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Squrppi
Aspirant

Thanks! Using an intermediate 5.0.x firmware fixed the issue. Now I'm at 5.4.2.30. The only issue was that I had to use the firmware you linked.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements