× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS324TP IP issues

ggoupille
Aspirant

GS324TP IP issues

Good evening guys,

I’m stumped so here I am. I’m kind of tech savvy but this is foreign to me. I have a new construction home with many cat6 cable runs all going back to the basement where I installed a data rack. The data rack consists of a modem from the ISP, an ASUS router (RT-AX86U), and a NETGEAR switch (GS324TP).

I have a couple access points spread out in a line essentially in the basement. One on one end of the house, the other is on the opposite side, and the router is in the middle located where the switch and data rack is. The house is very large.

My access points seem to be working but I’m unsure how to actually test them other than just stream stuff. These are connected to the switch directly via Ethernet. The router is also connected to the switch and the router is also connected to the ISP.

There is wifi pretty much everywhere in the house so I don’t think coverage is an issue. The issue I’m having is when I plug my PC into the switch, it will show that I’m not connected to the internet and something about having an issue with the IP. I connected my TV to the switch via an Ethernet cable and that seems to be working fine but my PC will not connect to the internet. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. I know how to run commands and that stuff but pretty limited. I'm not even sure if this is router-based problems or switch-based problems but I'm sure it's an easy fix. 

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS324TP IP issues

Assuming you have a flat L2 network (all link LED up) and a flat L3 network on top, no VLANs, no other routing different from the router doing the many2one NAT and serving the DHCP for the broadcast domain, all cables under in the required max length of 100 meters including patch cores - nothing difficult in the game here. Some MAC security could limit the DHCP so there won't be any IP config on the PC adapter for whatever reason. Try to explain what is configured or intended.

Message 2 of 4
ggoupille
Aspirant

The network is super basic. No VLANs and all cables are 100ft or less of CAT6. Just a home network. 2 access points and the router for wifi, and the rest is going to tvs and computers for hard wired internet/data. The wifi is working fine. The hard-wire to the tv is working fine. It's just the computers wont connect to the internet. I figured a managed switch would act like an unmanaged switch because it was a gift to me, so I just plugged it in hoping it would work. I've been on the web interface trying to do some research. I can post screenshots if needed. 

Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ggoupille 

First, check your PC’s networking configuration after connecting to the switch. Its wired networking may be configured with a static IP address. Make sure it is configured for DHCP and its WiFi is disabled. Restart the PC and try again. If it still does not work, reset the switch to the factory defaults and make sure its firmware is current. Also, the quality of cables varies and there may be some strong interference. Run a test with the switch close to the router and the PC close to the switch to make sure the cable is not the issue.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements