× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4300-8X8F (XSM4316S) SFP+ compatibility

danielator
Aspirant

M4300-8X8F (XSM4316S) SFP+ compatibility

Hello,

I plan to use a M4300-8X8F (XSM4316S) with SFP modules from Embrionix (https://www.embrionix.com/product/subfamily/sdi-to-ip)

First, on this model, is it allowed to use SFP module not from NeatGear ?

Is it able to provide 1.5W power to the SFP module ?

What kind of SFP is allowed : MSA or nonMSA ?

Thanks

Daniel

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: M4300-8X8F (XSM4316S) SFP+ compatibility

Hi danielator

Welcome to the Community!

Let me answer your questions, sequentially:

• Yes, M4300 series models, including our great half-width M4300-8X8F 16-port 10G switch with 8x10GBASE-T and 8xSFP+, can accept third-party SFP+ modules (SFP+ ports are not locked). Let me nuance that: we strive to offer maximum compatibility with standard based, high quality third-party modules, but we don't claim universal support. Our M4300 documentation specifies NETGEAR-only compatible modules. There are thousands of modules on the market, and NETGEAR designs and tests its switch products for use with genuine NETGEAR Modules only. The use of third-party modules may result in reduced network performance and reliability, such as packet loss and connectivity issues. While the use of third-party Modules does not affect the NETGEAR switch's warranty, NETGEAR may not provide technical support for networking problems it determines are caused by third-party Modules only.

• Yes, it is able to provide 1.5W power to the SFP/SFP+ modules.

• Only MSA standard SFP+ modules are meant to be allowed by our hardware and software.

Finally, I've looked at Gateway SDI-TO-IP SFP+ (emSFP) modules from Embrionix. We didn't test these modules. In reading the application note about MSA SFP & SFP+, I would strongly advise for SFP+ MSA Datacom SFF-8431 compliance. But still cannot attest we can successfully connect these modules. 

Feel free to explain more about your experience with these modules, such as: which switches did you test previously etc..

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: M4300-8X8F (XSM4316S) SFP+ compatibility

Hi danielator

Welcome to the Community!

Let me answer your questions, sequentially:

• Yes, M4300 series models, including our great half-width M4300-8X8F 16-port 10G switch with 8x10GBASE-T and 8xSFP+, can accept third-party SFP+ modules (SFP+ ports are not locked). Let me nuance that: we strive to offer maximum compatibility with standard based, high quality third-party modules, but we don't claim universal support. Our M4300 documentation specifies NETGEAR-only compatible modules. There are thousands of modules on the market, and NETGEAR designs and tests its switch products for use with genuine NETGEAR Modules only. The use of third-party modules may result in reduced network performance and reliability, such as packet loss and connectivity issues. While the use of third-party Modules does not affect the NETGEAR switch's warranty, NETGEAR may not provide technical support for networking problems it determines are caused by third-party Modules only.

• Yes, it is able to provide 1.5W power to the SFP/SFP+ modules.

• Only MSA standard SFP+ modules are meant to be allowed by our hardware and software.

Finally, I've looked at Gateway SDI-TO-IP SFP+ (emSFP) modules from Embrionix. We didn't test these modules. In reading the application note about MSA SFP & SFP+, I would strongly advise for SFP+ MSA Datacom SFF-8431 compliance. But still cannot attest we can successfully connect these modules. 

Feel free to explain more about your experience with these modules, such as: which switches did you test previously etc..

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
danielator
Aspirant

Re : M4300-8X8F (XSM4316S) SFP+ compatibility

Hi Laurent,

Thank you for your answer.

I will post a reply after purchasing the switch and tried the MSA modules from Embrionix

Best regards

daniel

Message 3 of 4
sark
Aspirant

Re : M4300-8X8F (XSM4316S) SFP+ compatibility

FYI for those looking for a cheaper solution to the Netgear AXM761 modules.

I successfully connected an M4300 8x8 to an Intel SFP X520-DA2 server NIC using a SFP direct attached coax cable inserted into the card and the M4300; along with a 10Gtek for Netgear AXM761, 10Gb/s Transceiver module inserted in the M4300, and a 10Gtek for Intel E10GSFPSR, 10Gb/s SFP+ inserted into the Intel SFP x520-DA2 NIC, residing in a DELL R510 2008 R2 server, connected together using a Cable Matters 10Gb 40Gb Multimode OM3 Duplex 50/120 OFNP Fiber Patch Cable LC to LC - 1m.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements