× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SFP module help

jameswiltshire
Aspirant

SFP module help

Hi,

I need to connect a fibre into our switch which will link to another switch on a different site. Our switch is a M4100-50G-POE+ but i don`t know the other switch as it is in a shared companies server room. 

I`ve been told i would need a single mode sfp i`ve decided to go for a AGM723F SFP Transceiver 1000BASE-LX. I don`t know much about SFP transcievers so i would like to check if this is compatible with our switch and the fibre mode?

Many thanks

James

Model: M4100-50G-POE+ (GSM7248P)|ProSafe 50 ports gigabits fully managed L2 switch with PoE+
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: SFP module help

The AGM732F can drive up to 10 km single mode fiber (on the standard 1310 nm wavelength*) - and it's compatible with your switch AFAIK.

*you might want to double check this, nowadays WDM (wave division multiplex, as DWDM or CWDM) can span 1490..1625 nm sharing the very same fiber link for many concurrent connections (with multiple "colours"), and SFP modules with the non-standard wavelength are available in the market, too.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The AGM732F can drive up to 10 km single mode fiber (on the standard 1310 nm wavelength*) - and it's compatible with your switch AFAIK.

*you might want to double check this, nowadays WDM (wave division multiplex, as DWDM or CWDM) can span 1490..1625 nm sharing the very same fiber link for many concurrent connections (with multiple "colours"), and SFP modules with the non-standard wavelength are available in the market, too.  

Message 2 of 3
jameswiltshire
Aspirant

That's great, thanks. The fibre is between two building, ~ 0.5km apart, so this will be fine. Just wanted someone to double check i`m buying the correct sfp. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements