× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Set port speed

l27
Guide
Guide

Set port speed

This is on a m4300-28g. It's not listed in the model dropdown...

How do you set the port speed using the web interface? I disable autonegoiation, and tried entering 100TX, 100Mbps, 100 and it won't let me save anything. I get this error.

Error! Failed to Set 'Speed' with '100TX'

Message 1 of 4
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Set port speed

Hi l27

Interesting, thank you for your question!

I went to M4300 Web User Manual in section Configure Port Settings starting page 253 and observed same symptom with my M4300-8X8F here.

To make sure, I connected a M4100 Fast Ethernet switch to one 10GBASE-T port and tried default setting (Auto-Negotiation Enable and Speed Auto). I have a successful connection without configuration here.

Why do you need to force the speed to 100Mpbs? What is your Fast Ethernet device?

Anyway, maybe it will help you: for that particular port, please try to also configure Duplex Mode (Half or Full) depending on your 100Mbps device -

• please set Auto-negotiation to:    Disable
  • please set Speed to:                      100
  • Please set Duplex Mode to:          Full            (or Half if your Fast Ethernet device is half-duplex only)

It works well on my M4300-8X8F here, the setting is applied and my port is up. Can you try on your M4300-28G?

If it works, it will indicate Duplex Mode must be fixed as well when no auto-neg and we'll go through more testing with our QA team before updating our documentation. 

Let us know!

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
l27
Guide
Guide

Thanks that worked. Not sure why I didn't think to simply put 100! I did skim through the manual but must have missed it.

I'm testing application performance across a WAN link and I want to limit a 500Mbps connection to 100Mbps. This is the easiest way for me to do it because I cannot login to the CPE and set the port to 100Mbps. The ISP said thier port is set to auto detect so it should work fine.

Is there a way to rate limit a port? I would like to test at 450Mbps or really anything under 500Mbps. On my firewall I can implement policy based speed limits, it's basically a proxy. I know this might be asking a little much from a switch.

Thanks,

John

Message 3 of 4
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

I'm glad it worked for you.

Yes sure, M4300's are NETGEAR top of the line switches, you can ask much more to these big switches.

We have lot of different ways of limiting or shaping or managing the traffic on a specific interface or on a VLAN.

In your case, I would advise a very simple ACL on that port, with Rate Limit Conform Data Rate specified @ 102400Kbps and with Rate Limit Burst Size @ 128Kbytes. M4300 can do egress and ingress filtering, so on this port you can attach one ACL called "CPE-in" for inbound traffic from your CPE, and one other ACL called "CPE-out" for outbound traffic to the CPE.

You can use standard MAC ACL or Advanced IP ACL, it will be basically permit ip any any for instance with Advanced IP ACLs. You can refer to the Web User Manual starting page 594 for IP ACLs.

This is what I would do (global configuration mode), for instance for your port 1/0/10 and assuming you want symetric 100Mpbs: 

ip access-list cpe_in
permit ip any any rate-limit 102400 128
exit

ip access-list cpe_out
permit ip any any rate-limit 102400 128
exit

interface 1/0/10
ip access-group cpe_in in 1
ip access-group cpe_out out 1
exit 

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,