× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Auto start on power on - Auto off with power off

Johnr3524
Follower

Auto start on power on - Auto off with power off

I'm interested in using my MR1100 from AT&T in my car.  I would like some advice, as I was hoping to do one of two things:

In mycase, I expect the unit to be plugged into a switched (by key) USB port for power and thus, (unless removed from the car) not reliant on the internal battery.

Either-

1.  Have the unit power on and provide wifi service when requested by a previously "known" device.  Such that a laptop, phone, or tablet that had previosuly connected to the device could, by attempting to connect again, awaken the device out of sleep and turn it on automatically.

2. Have the unit turn on when power is applied to the USB C port through the cable and then sleep/ turn off when power is removed (key on power on or key off, power off). 

Either of these solutions would work, but Ican't seem to find anything in the manual or elsewhere supporting this functionality.  Any ideas?  

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 2
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Re: Auto start on power on - Auto off with power off

Hello Johnr3524,

The MR1100 will happily turn on automatically when power is supplied to the USB-C connector.  Personally, I find this behavior really annoying when I'm trying to charge it at home and I don't want it's Wifi conflicting with my home Wifi.

BUT, it will not turn off automatically.  It will run until the battery goes dead.

BUT, you can run it without the battery which should do what you are looking for.  You could also leave the battery in but set the Standby time to go to sleep when no clients are connected.  I not sure if turning power back on will wake it up or not.  You might have to press the multifunction button to wake it up.

-Jonathan

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7