× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Chromecast cannot connect to Nighthawk M1

YankeeDude
Guide

Chromecast cannot connect to Nighthawk M1

New installation of Chromecast (generation 3) cannot connect to Nighthawk M1 (Firmware: NTG9X50C_12.06.03.00).

QUESTION: How do I disable Access Point/AP isolation in the Nighthawk M1?

My answers to questions posted to another user of Nighthawk M1 / Chromecast issue which was not resolved.

Was this working before?
Answer: New Chromecast installation

What is the error message when trying to connect?

Answer: Cannot connect to network.

According to Chromecast help:

1) Disable Access Point/AP isolation, also known as Client isolation or guest mode, on your router
* Your Wi-Fi network configuration prevents devices from communicating with Chromecast. In order to resolve this issue, you will need to disable AP (access point) isolation, also known as client isolation, on your router. Please refer to your router documentation to learn how to disable AP isolation.

2) Enable UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) also known as Multicast on your router
* UPnP (Universal Plug and Play), also known as multicast, allows for the discovery of UPnP enabled devices on the same Wi-Fi network.
* You will need to enable UPnP in your router settings. Please refer to your router manufacturer's documentation to learn how to enable UPnP on your router

Are we just having issue with Chromecast not online?

Answer: I cannot successfully connect Chromecast unit to my Nighthawk M1.

Are other wireless devices online?

Answer: yes
Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
YankeeDude
Guide

Re: Chromecast cannot connect to Nighthawk M1

Problem solved. Smiley Happy And it was so much simpler than I could have imagined. After trying "just about everything" I finally did what should have been the obvious FIRST thing to do: perform a factory reset of Chromecast.

Summary: the problem lies entirely with Google Chromecast.

After configuring Chromecast to a specific Wi-Fi network, the unit is "locked" to that network. Of course this is a feature that helps when restarting Chromecast. However, when changing networks, it is a problem.

Solution: FORGET NETWORK before trying to connect to a new network. Or perform a FACTORY RESET.

SOLUTION LINKS – GOOGLE CHROMECAST HELP:

Change the Wi-Fi network of Chromecast

• How to factory reset your Chromecast

VIDEO EXPLANATION - YOUTUBE

• Google Chromecast 3rd Gen: How to Factory Reset

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @YankeeDude

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

To check router security settings: 

Open web browser > enter http://m.home or http://192.168.1.1 > enter username and password > go to Security > Access control. 

To disable / enable UPnP: 

Please check device User Manual

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/MR1100/MR1100_UM_EN.pdf

Turn UPnP Off or On From the NETGEAR Mobile App (page 52) 

Turn UPnP Off or On From a Web Browser (page 53) 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 7
YankeeDude
Guide

Thanks for the Blanca.

I forgot to write that I've understood and changed UPnP accordingly.

My difficulty is "Disable Access Point/AP isolation", (client isolation or guest mode).
Message 3 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @YankeeDude

You can check Access control feature of the router to see if there is any restriction. To do that, please do these steps:  

Open web browser > enter http://m.home or http://192.168.1.1 > enter username and password > go to Security > Access control. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 4 of 7
YankeeDude
Guide

My Chromecast can still not connect to my Nighthawk.

Are we sure that "Access control" is the same thing as "Access Point"?

I've already seen this feature in the Netgear app. However, I don't see any references to disable Access Point here.

To demonstrate my troubleshooting I've included a screendump ("Access_control.PNG"). Here in the Netgear app, there is no mention of "Disable Access Point/AP isolation", or client isolation or guest mode.

[Since I cannot attach more than one file, I've divided my reply into a second post which follows). 

Message 5 of 7
YankeeDude
Guide

Continued.

However, in the Netgear app, under "Advanded Settings > Cellular" there is an APN setting (see "Cellular-APN.PNG"). APN means Access Point Name according to Wikipedia.

Since I am using my Netgear Nighthawk M1 with Internet access via 4G (my operator is "3 SE"), this is automatically configured with no input from the user.

Note: it is not possible to delete this active APN.

PS: Please understand that I have successfully troubleshooted the Chromecast unit using my Huawei E5172A 4G router (same SIM card). I purchased the Netgear Nighthawk M1 to replace it. Thus, it is with the M1 that I can NOT connect the Chromecast unit.

Message 6 of 7
YankeeDude
Guide

Problem solved. Smiley Happy And it was so much simpler than I could have imagined. After trying "just about everything" I finally did what should have been the obvious FIRST thing to do: perform a factory reset of Chromecast.

Summary: the problem lies entirely with Google Chromecast.

After configuring Chromecast to a specific Wi-Fi network, the unit is "locked" to that network. Of course this is a feature that helps when restarting Chromecast. However, when changing networks, it is a problem.

Solution: FORGET NETWORK before trying to connect to a new network. Or perform a FACTORY RESET.

SOLUTION LINKS – GOOGLE CHROMECAST HELP:

Change the Wi-Fi network of Chromecast

• How to factory reset your Chromecast

VIDEO EXPLANATION - YOUTUBE

• Google Chromecast 3rd Gen: How to Factory Reset

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements