× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear M1 reboot issue Resolved!

Q8cracker
Guide

i found the real problem that relates to router reboot "randomly reboot" was from your country network band ,

Tut: 1- go to admin page
2- sign in
3- go to settings
4- go to advanced settings
5- go to Cellular and scroll down
6- select your network manually
7- now in Cellular page the Band region is Automatic by Default Change it to "LTE ALL"
8- reboot your router
9- nothing ;D

have a nice day 🙂

bye
Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 1 of 32
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Netgear M1 reboot issue Resolved!

Thanks for posting this work around.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 32
Teewee4134
Guide

Great Help

keeping finger cross no more reboot

Message 3 of 32
Teewee4134
Guide

Disappointment. It still reboots

I can't even update my Mac OS X

Once download start, within 2-3 mins it reboots....

very frustrating.... 

Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 4 of 32
Byrddd
Tutor

Hey, have you happended to found out what was wrong with your device? Mine started doing the same thing any large download causes reboot

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 5 of 32
Teewee4134
Guide

I still waiting and hoping there would be a new update.
My issue not yet solved
Message 6 of 32
Byrddd
Tutor

Thanks for the reply! It’s crazy they haven’t fixed the problem yet..have you tried just using 1 WiFi instead of dual band?
Message 7 of 32
Teewee4134
Guide

Yes, I have but same issue
Message 8 of 32
UK-based
Luminary

This might not apply to everyone with the reboot issues, but it may help some of you.

I'm using my M1 as my main home router but having the flexibility to disconnect it from my network when I want internet access on my travels. For use at home I wanted to remove the battery and power it solely from the supplied 2A mains charger.I have an Ethernet connection from the M1 to an unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switch, to which I have 2 access points attached for extending my Wi-Fi coverage throughout the house (the Wi-Fi coverage from the M1 isn't very extensive). I also have an external Poynting XPOL-A0001 omni 2x2 antenna attached to the M1 via a couple of short SMA to TS-9 pigtail adapter leads, in order to achieve a strong (5 bar) signal into the M1.

However, the M1 constantly rebooted, and the reboots were often triggered by some activity like starting a file download. If I put the battery back in and kept the charger connected, it didn't reboot, but this wasn't ideal because it meant removing the charger when the battery was 100% charged and then replacing it before the battery got too low!

I read other threads suggesting replacing the mains charger with a more powerful one, so I purchased a good quality charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 technology - this is backwards compatible with the Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 enabled chip in the M1 and is able to supply 2.4A. I also replaced the charging cable with a high quality one from the same manufacturer. Since doing this, the M1 interface reports that the session has only been disconnected once in 5 days, and this might be the mobile network provider that caused the session to be disconnected rather than the M1.

When I check the M1 browser interface Settings > Diagnostics under the Device heading I can see that the "Battery Charge Status" is indicated as "QuickCharge", so it has clearly recognised this technology in the charger. Obviously, supplying the higher amperage of 2.4A does raise the temperature of the unit, which can also be seen in the Settings > Diagnostics: Device section. My M1 was reaching 41degC when performing heavy downloads, dropping to around 36degC when idle. In order to reduce this, I removed the battery compartment cover and raised the M1 off the surface a few centimeters to allow a flow of air into the battery compartment. I also placed a old CPU heat sink on the top of the unit (with a bit of cling film between to avoid damaging the screen). The heat sink is probably "overkill" but I managed to drop the temperature range by about 5degC (31-36degC), which I guess should be acceptable.

So if you too are using the M1 as a static router in your home, this might be a solution for you. However, please be aware that you will be doing this at your own risk. I've no idea how using a different charger from the one suplied would affect warranty, or for that matter the lifespan of the M1. There are many poor quality mains chargers on the market that can damage equipment. It's up to you to do the research to make sure you have a reliable brand.

Good luck!

Message 9 of 32
Gbear1984
Tutor

Hi All,

Not sure it helps anyone, but here is my feedback. I have tried the above settings and I have definitely gotten some improvement. I definitely regret updating the firmware as it was perfectly fine.

I have actually bring down the screen brightness as well, just so that i can bring down the temperature. From that i got longer usage. 

But what i suspect here is that if the temperature keeps going beyong 41 deg, it will reboot and not allow you to start till it cools down. but what i did was just taking out the battery and inserted in back again.

Any idea, where or how i can get hold of the older firmwares? i really want to flash it manually as I could see from my admin page that i can upload firmware and restore it.

Thanks!

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 10 of 32
winger13
Guide

I ran my tests which shot the temperature to 50 degrees Celcius and the Nighthawk continued functioning (no reboots)

Message 11 of 32
winger13
Guide

Hope this helps someone.

Basically, the issue is that the 2.0A rated charging block that came with my US-based AT&T Nighthawk MR1100 does not provide sufficient power to a battery-less device.

===============================
I ran several tests, with one channel running (2.4 ghz radio turned on, 5ghz radio turned off). Once I stream a video (like Youtube) onto just one connected device, the Nighthawk does not play more than 6 seconds before rebooting (often in less time).  If the Nighthawk does not reboot in within the 6 seconds while streaming,  I simply turn on the device's LCD screen (set to 50% brightness) to trip the Nighthawk reboot.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 OEM 2.0A "Adaptive Quick Charge" charging block (model  Samsung EP-TA20JWE)  sitting around - which works with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 Technology.

When using this Samsung OEM charging block to power the Nighthawk in the same setup as above, I have not experienced any Nighthawk reboots in about 30 minutes of testing.  For good measure, during the video streaming, I added the following (all concurrent):

- turn on the Nighthawk's LCD screen on in full brightness

- powered on both the 5ghz AND 2.4ghz radios (one device connected on 2.4ghz, two devices connected on 5ghz)

- ran speed tests

Notes:

When logged in, under the Settings|Diagnostics page, I see that the:

o charging is detected as "QuickCharge"

o the temperature shoots from about 33 degrees Celcius (when Nighthawk is realively idle) to 50 degrees Celcius during my testing

One question I do have is how does this Samsung 2.0A charger differ from the NIghthawk's included 2.0A charger ?  An amp is an amp is an amp, so why does using the Netgear-provided 2.0A charger result in the reboots but using the Samsung OEM 2.0A charger work  perfectly?

Message 12 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Runnning without a battery requires a charger compatible with Quick Charge 2.0 and that provides 2.4A of output. The charger included with the hotspot doesn't meet those requirements.

Message 13 of 32
UK-based
Luminary

Here's why the Samsung 2A mains charger may be overcoming M1 reboots...

In various threads on this forum, including this one, I've explained that my M1 was continuously rebooting when I ran it without a battery. I solved the problem by buying this charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, which is backwards compatible with the Quick Charge 2.0 technology used in the M1. I thought that the additional amperage provided by this charger (2.4A instead of the 2A charger included with the M1) was the reason for the booting resolution. However, after having read this very informative article, I have a better understanding.

@winger13- you wrote that your Samsung EP-TA20JWE mains charger "works with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 Technology". It seems that the Samsung Adaptive Quick Charge is similar to Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 but it's not identical. From what I understand, Samsung have designed some of their phones and other devices to work with both their own Adaptive Quick Charge technology and also Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 technology. But the chargers themselves differ slightly. Some Samsung phones have apparently incorporated Qualcomm Quick Charge chips but in doing so they have to pay a licence fee to use the Qualcomm technology.

USB-C (3.1) is very different from the earlier USB 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 versions. The USB-C standard allows chargers to output higher voltages than the earlier 5V restriction: USB-C supports voltages between 5V-20V and currents up to 5A (USB 3.0 was restricted to 0.9A). Both the Samsung Adaptive Quick Charge and Qualcomm Quick Charge technologies make use of voltages higher than 5V to speed up the charging process. The standard 2A charger currently supplied with the M1 only outputs 5V, so this equates to 10 watts (2 x 5) but there will be cabling and other system losses, reducing this power output. However, the Samsung EP-TA20JWE mains charger can output up to 2A at 9V when operating in adaptive quick charge mode, equating to 18 watts. It's this extra 8 watts of power that is probably preventing your M1 from rebooting when running without a battery, and there are lower power losses at higher voltages.

Although the Anker charger I linked above, with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 technology is rated at 2.4A, the Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 standard only supports a maximum current of 2A and it doesn't support the wide range of voltages specified by the USB-C standard, which would allow the full 2.4A (or higher) to be used. Quick Charge 2.0 supports fixed voltages of 5V, 9V, and 12V at amperages of 1.67A and 2A, and a maximum wattage of 18W. The Samsung Adaptive Quick Charge technology doesn't appear to support the higher 12V level but the amperages are the same.

The Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 technology (not supported by the current M1) goes one step further, allowing variable voltages (instead of the QC 2.0 fixed voltages) between 3.6V and 20V and amperages up to 4.6A. However, the maximum wattage is still restricted to 18W, so the full 2.4A of the above linked Anker charger can only be used at a maximum voltage of 7.5V (2.4 x 7.5 = 18).

When a quick charge compatible device is connected to a quick charger, there is some data communication between the device and the charger to establish the appropriate voltage and current at different stages of the charging process. The fact that your Samsung charger stops the M1 rebooting must mean that the necessary communication between M1 and charger is taking place.

N.B. The above stated voltages and currents are from the linked article. However, I've seen that on other sites the specifications are quoted differently, so please bear this in mind.

Message 14 of 32
Chien35
Tutor

For reducing the heat I believe mini fan can do better than heatsink by open the battery cover and blow it to the battery and this will reducing the heat of the device as well.

Message 15 of 32
winger13
Guide

@mdgm-ntgr
@UK-based

Thanks guys, for the responses and the details, and and had a couple of reads already, but I will need to re-read in details a few more times before things sink in.  And UK-based, thanks for the reference document - I skimmed it and that will need more time as well LOL.

In the meantime, absent any Netgear technical specifications that I can find which specifies acceptable levels of USB input voltage and power, is there any chance using the Samsung EP-TA20JWE block charger will damage the Nighthawk ? 

My concern is that using my Samsung charger (2A at 9V, 18 watts) ) means the Blackhawk will receive 80% more voltage (4 volts) and 80% more  power (8 watts) over the included Netgear charger (2A at 5 volts, 10 watts)  - this seems a bit excessive. Note this is just my opinion based on a gut feel because I am not an engineer by any means, also I am willing to purchase a correct charging block, if necessary.

Also, with only the battery in the device, will the Nighthawk be drawing 18 watts from the battery at peak ? 

If yes, something seems way off - specifically on reported run times.  I saw a review somewhere recently that a Nighthawk ran a little over 19 hours streaming videos (Youtube?) most of the time with a few breaks.  The W-10A battery is rated at 19.78Wh.  If this device is drawing 18 watts, this means the battery will only last:  19.78Wh / 18watts = 1.1 hours.  What is wrong with my thinking here?

Message 16 of 32
winger13
Guide

In my use case, I am removing the battery when using the 'more powerful' Samsung wall charger.

But yes, I would feel more comfortable using some sort of fan in this setup as I saw device temperatures reach 50C during my large load, battery-less testing, which seems hot.  I also just found the following product temperature guidelines on this Nighthawk :

From section  Battery Tips in the M1 User Manual (page 27) - http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/MR1100/MR1100_UM_EN.pdf

Charge batteries in a room-temperature environment, which is generally between 68°F and 79° F (20°Cand 26°C). Charging might be temporarily disabled if the battery temperature exceeds 113°F (60°C).If the battery temperature is hot, but less than 113°F (60°C), the battery charges, but at a slower rate than usual.

From section  Environmental Specifications  Table 4. Recommended operating and storage temperatures  in the M1 User Manual (page 87) - http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/MR1100/MR1100_UM_EN.pdf

Operating temperature:   0°C to 35°C (32 F to 95°F)

@Chien35wrote:

For reducing the heat I believe mini fan can do better than heatsink by open the battery cover and blow it to the battery and this will reducing the heat of the device as well.

Message 17 of 32
UK-based
Luminary

@winger13: the concept of fast charging relies on a negotiated higher voltage in devices that have the appropriate technology built into them to support the fast charger they are attached to, whether that be Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 or Samsung's Adaptive Fast Charging technology. The MR1100 has a Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 chip built into it, which negotiates the higher voltage supply from a similarly equipped charger. The fact that your MR1100 runs reliably without the battery when using the Samsung charger must mean that it is also capable of working at the higher voltage and greater power throughput from that charger. The MR1100 is designed to support fast charging so don't worry - as mentioned previously, I've been running my MR1100 reliably on an Anker charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 for months now, without any problems. QC 3.0 can supply even higher voltages than QC 2.0 but it doesn't because the MR1100 is only seen to be capable of handling the QC 2.0 specs. The appropriate voltage "negotiation" is explained briefly in this blog post. And here's a more general article about quick chargers.

Message 18 of 32
UK-based
Luminary

The second link didn't survive for some reason, so I'll try again:

"And here's a more general article about quick chargers."

Message 19 of 32
Joe43089
Aspirant

So do you think a IPad charger block would work?
Message 20 of 32
UK-based
Luminary

Tha Apple site indicates that the iPad charger is 5.2V at 2.4A. The power output is stated as 12W. This extra power may be sufficient to stop the M1 rebooting when running without a battery but I believe a charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 compatibility would be preferable.

Message 21 of 32
winger13
Guide

What max and steady-state internal temperatures are you seeing in your M1 when plugged into the wall ?   And, what (if any) approach are you taking for cooling the device?

@UK-basedwrote:

@winger13: the concept of fast charging relies on a negotiated higher voltage in devices that have the appropriate technology built into them... so don't worry - as mentioned previously, I've been running my MR1100 reliably on an Anker charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 for months now, without any problems. ....

Message 22 of 32
UK-based
Luminary

@winger13: When I started running the M1 without battery using my upgraded charger the temperature range rose to between 36degC and 41degC, rising to the latter with more networking activity. I removed the battery cover and raised the M1 a few centimeters off the surface to allow air flow around the battery compartment. I also carefully placed an old CPU heat sink on top of the M1 with some cling film between to avoid damage to the LCD screen. This approach dropped the M1's temperature range by 5degC (31degC - 36degC). As you wrote in your message 18 above, the recommended operating temperature range is up to 35degC, so I'm only 1 degree over. You could use a fan but I didn't want the constant noise - my M1's in a living area.

Message 23 of 32
Joe43089
Aspirant

Quick charge 3.0 18w will let unit run just on AC power?
Message 24 of 32
UK-based
Luminary

My M1 has been running reliably without a battery on just a Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 charger for months now. Quick Charge 3.0 chargers should be backwards compatible with the Quick Charge 2.0 chip in the M1 - mine certainly is.

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7