Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to Launch Vulnerability Scan?

Bogey4
Aspirant

Just wondering if anybody has any new updates on this issue. I am approximately 11 days in to a 30 day free trial and my Netgear Armor portal indicates no vulnerability scans performed to date. I have installed the local version on my laptop and phone. I can run the vulnerability scan locally on these 2 devices and the status appears in the detail view on the Netgear Armor portal. There is no evidence of any other vulnerability scan being performed. I don’t see this status changing any time soon. I am trying to make an informed decision about buying this product when the trial ends. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 26 of 34
StevenOrbi
Tutor

I believe that the vulnerability scan won’t run against Windows PCs running bitdefender. The software on the router does run scans against other devices like AV receivers, streaming devices, security cameras etc. I found that a reboot of my router kicked off the vulnerability scan and afterwards it runs about every 7 days.

So it seemed the initial install didn’t reboot router and the reboot set the normal schedule in motion.

The scan definitely identifies problems on several devices which I have since patched. Also the product picks up malicious urls that any device tries to access.

I think for the price the product is useful and worth having.
Message 27 of 34
Bogey4
Aspirant

Thank you for the feedback. I just tried a reboot through the Nighthawk app but don’t see anything yet. I will give it a day and then try a hard reboot. Thanks again.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 28 of 34
Bogey4
Aspirant

I wanted to update everyone on issues discovered during my trial subscription to Netgear Armor. As previously reported, the main problem has been that I just can’t get the program to perform a vulnerability scan. This is in contrast to Bitfender Total Security I installed on my Windows laptop. Vulnerability scans performed through this application work just fine. This program and mobile apps designed for iOS and android mobile devices are offered as part of the trial subscription. I have installed both the Windows and android applications. I have had some issues with the android application but am reasonably impressed with the Windows application. I have attempted multiple router reboots but nothing seems to trigger a vulnerability scan through Netgear Armor. I tried contacting Bitdefender support and they simply opened a trouble ticket with Netgear. The Netgear rep I spoke with said they were aware of the problem and are planning a future firmware update that would allow a user to force a vulnerability scan. I asked if the issue was unique to my model and was not provided a definitive answer. I would be curious to get some feedback from the community on this as my router is about 5 years old. I originally questioned this when I entered into the trial because I did not see my specific model number on the list of supported deviices. I asked the rep about this and she said the device was supported but admitted that there may be differences based on the age of the router contributing to the problem. I will advise if I learn more.

Message 29 of 34
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

HI @Bogey4 . To the best of my knowledge, unless Bitdefender Total Security is installed on a specific Windows PC or a MAC, vulnerability scans on those devices will NOT run; and that's the very reason I chose NOT to buy a subscription to Armor once my trial ran out. I am NOT a fan on Bitdefender, both on Windows and MACs, more so on the latter. So for me, the cons of having Bitdefender Total Security installed on Windows/MAC PCs ouweighs the benefit of having the Armor security features right at the router level.

One thing that I don't understand in this whole scheme of things behind the Armor implementation. If Armor, once installed on the router, allegedly protects ALL and EVERRY devices connected to the network, why then should I need to have BDTS installed on devices connected to my network? Other smart WiFi-connected defices do not have operating systems; and yet, again allegedly, they are FULLY protected by virtue of the router carrying its ARMOR. So why then are computers PENALIZED, such that they cannot benefit from VULNERABILITY SCAN unless they install BDTS that will play havoc with their devices?

So @DexterJB , if you're listening, just know that I really wanted to like this product; so please help me understand how user can benefit from ARMOR installed at the router level, and have EVERY device connected to the network fully protected by ARMOR; without having to install Bitdefender Total Security ON ANY device. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 30 of 34
Marvin7xx
Initiate

I agree completely. So wanted to like Amour but it’s expensive and incomplete. Like you I didn’t understand why still need to install bdts.

Then I got an advert for bf box. And asked the question. Got this reply. “If you use the Box 2, you will still need to install the antivirus on your Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android devices so that you are protected from infected thumb drives, infected CDs or be protected when you are outside of the Box network.”

Same problem. I hoped the netgear router running armour would do away with need for box but seems neither solution ticks all the boxes shame
Message 31 of 34
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Message 32 of 34
Bogey4
Aspirant

I wanted to give everyone an update. I am on day 29 of my trial subscription to Netgear Armor. Last night the first vulnerability scan was performed. I am not sure what triggered it. I was waiting for a possible firmware update but nothing has yet been released. It will be interesting to see if the periodic scans will now be performed on a regular basis.
Message 33 of 34
leelawjr
Aspirant

I have a ROKU box that's always on. This is only the 2nd day I started bitdefender, but if it's supposed to scan a device when it connects, why does it not show it's been scanned? A scan on demand or being able to set day & time for weekly scan would be more practical. I can't work around a device's schedule. It should operate from mine! That's what devices are for after all. Very VERY poor design. So if the 1st scan never gets completed, it doesn't get added to the queue & will never be scanned? Am I understanding that correctly? You also need to offer a user pdf that explains how to use it. This is shear laziness on Netgear's part.
Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7