Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mixture of PLP1200 & PLP2000

Majidlodhi
Star

Mixture of PLP1200 & PLP2000

If I have a mixture of PLP1200 and PLP2000 the whole network will run at the lowest speed or each adapter will run at full speed?
Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet, PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Mixture of PLP1200 & PLP2000

@Majidlodhi wrote:
If I have a mixture of PLP1200 and PLP2000 the whole network will run at the lowest speed or each adapter will run at full speed?

Netgear states in the KB Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network: "HomePlug AV 200 Mbps, 500 Mbps, 1000 Mbps, 1200Mbps and 2000 Mbps coexist and are interoperable with each other, but at the speed of the slowest plugs." However, In my opinion this information is not correct. 

The communication data stream between the faster powerline adapters is always using the fastest possible "link" speed, between different variants it will done at the slower device link speed. This applies to all HomePlug AV (HPAV) and HomePlug AV2 (HPAV2) devices. 

In a mixed network, each HPAV and HPAV2 adapter connects to every other adapter at the highest possible speed. It does so independently of the other adapters in the network. In a network consisting of two 1200 Mbps adapter and two 2000 Mbps adapters, for example, the 1200 Mbps adapter will connect to the 1200 Mbps adapters at a speed of 1200 Mbps. At the same time, the 2000 Mbps adapters connect to each other at the full 2000 Mbps. 

This applies to HPAV and HPAV2 devices from different vendors by the way.

Note: HPAV/HPAV2 is not compatible with the newer G.hn standard devices.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Mixture of PLP1200 & PLP2000

@Majidlodhi wrote:

Netgear states in the KB Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network: "HomePlug AV 200 Mbps, 500 Mbps, 1000 Mbps, 1200Mbps and 2000 Mbps coexist and are interoperable with each other, but at the speed of the slowest plugs." However, In my opinion this information is not correct. 

The communication data stream between the faster powerline adapters is always using the fastest possible "link" speed, between different variants it will done at the slower device link speed. This applies to all HomePlug AV (HPAV) and HomePlug AV2 (HPAV2) devices. 

In a mixed network, each HPAV and HPAV2 adapter connects to every other adapter at the highest possible speed. It does so independently of the other adapters in the network. In a network consisting of two 1200 Mbps adapter and two 2000 Mbps adapters, for example, the 1200 Mbps adapter will connect to the 1200 Mbps adapters at a speed of 1200 Mbps. At the same time, the 2000 Mbps adapters connect to each other at the full 2000 Mbps. 

This applies to HPAV and HPAV2 devices from different vendors by the way.

Note: HPAV/HPAV2 is not compatible with the newer G.hn standard devices.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements