Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Insight, Feature Request/Issue Resolution

Netgear Insight, Feature Request/Issue Resolution

As part of the beta test group for the WAC540, I was unable to really evaluate the product as much as I wanted due to lack of a switch that could power it up and when I ordered a GC510PP to replace my GS110TP, it was backordered for over a month through my channel partner.  Either way, finally got it up and running and then the Beta site goes down.  I migrated it to my own Insight account and then configured wifi.

So far, the issue I'm having is the Facebook Wifi Captive Portal.  Devices can connect to the SSID but not get any IP Address,  All other SSIDs work as well as DHCP, so it makes me wonder where the failure is.

As far as a request, Business Central has the capability for scheduling wireless active hours and off-hours, but Insight (as far as I can see) does not.  For my business clients, that is a key feature.  Any chance to get that integrated?

Message 1 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@ComputerMikes wrote:

As part of the beta test group for the WAC540, I was unable to really evaluate the product as much as I wanted due to lack of a switch that could power it up and when I ordered a GC510PP to replace my GS110TP, it was backordered for over a month through my channel partner.

The specs say 802.3af so the GS110TP should be sufficient (permitting there is enough power available for all PoE devices).

Curious if there is no Netgear "standard" 12V DC 1A or the like power input port as an alternate power source?

@ComputerMikes wrote:

So far, the issue I'm having is the Facebook Wifi Captive Portal.  Devices can connect to the SSID but not get any IP Address,  All other SSIDs work as well as DHCP, so it makes me wonder where the failure is.

Hit and miss feature. Have seen some random failures recently with the FB Captive Portal access on other WAC models the last weeks. Disputable if a business today can afford for requiring it's WiFi visitors to have a Facebook account - but that's another story.

Go to the local Web UI, confirm the "it's Insight managed" pop-up, head to Monitoring -> Logs -> Download detailed logs ... put the file to any cloud share, and sent the link with that information to @RaghuHR

@ComputerMikes wrote:

As far as a request, Business Central has the capability for scheduling wireless active hours and off-hours, but Insight (as far as I can see) does not.  For my business clients, that is a key feature.  Any chance to get that integrated?

Haven't seen this request very often, I guess one or two here in the community. Amazing, all my business clients and friends operate the wireless 24*7, never got such a demand. Worth to have it added @skazi - considering both the GC switches and the Insight WAC have local controls, this should not be that difficult - expect during boot time, before the time is properly set, or if there is a problem with setting the correct date and time - lack of a hardware clock.

Aside, the probably better place for this discussion would be the NETGEAR Insight Network Management community section.

Regards,

-Kurt 

PS. Just an Insight and Insight Pro user and ambassador, not working on behalf of Netgear.

Message 2 of 11
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @ComputerMikes 

Could you please share the type of wireless clients that you have used? Is it iPhones or Android phones?

Have you configured different VLAN for that SSID, if yes, please ensure  DHCP server running for that respective VLAN in back-end.

Please send the detailed logs to debug further.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 3 of 11

@schumaku wrote:

@ComputerMikes wrote:

As part of the beta test group for the WAC540, I was unable to really evaluate the product as much as I wanted due to lack of a switch that could power it up and when I ordered a GC510PP to replace my GS110TP, it was backordered for over a month through my channel partner.

The specs say 802.3af so the GS110TP should be sufficient (permitting there is enough power available for all PoE devices).

Curious if there is no Netgear "standard" 12V DC 1A or the like power input port as an alternate power source?

@ComputerMikes wrote:

Hit and miss feature. Have seen some random failures recently with the FB Captive Portal access on other WAC models the last weeks. Disputable if a business today can afford for requiring it's WiFi visitors to have a Facebook account - but that's another story.

Go to the local Web UI, confirm the "it's Insight managed" pop-up, head to Monitoring -> Logs -> Download detailed logs ... put the file to any cloud share, and sent the link with that information to @RaghuHR

@ComputerMikes wrote:

Haven't seen this request very often, I guess one or two here in the community. Amazing, all my business clients and friends operate the wireless 24*7, never got such a demand. Worth to have it added @skazi - considering both the GC switches and the Insight WAC have local controls, this should not be that difficult - expect during boot time, before the time is properly set, or if there is a problem with setting the correct date and time - lack of a hardware clock.

Aside, the probably better place for this discussion would be the NETGEAR Insight Network Management community section.

Regards,

-Kurt 

PS. Just an Insight and Insight Pro user and ambassador, not working on behalf of Netgear.

The specs say af, but the GS110TP was only powering the WAC540.  No other PoE devices.  No matter what I did, the 540 wouldn't allow me to sign in and was complaining there wasn't enough power. So, I figured, might as well invest into another switch to learn.  I put the 540 in place of a WAC730, so there was no additional power available.

Kurt, in the area I service, it's mostly a vacation and travel area.  It's a really good feature to make use of for restaurants and businesses that operate a guest wifi because they can restrict the wifi to just business hours.  The time we spent with Software and Engineering two years ago to get the Facebook Wifi implemented and I still have yet to see it actually work. We lost a huge account across the nation from it and had to go back to Meraki because of it for their puposes.

Go to the local Web UI, confirm the "it's Insight managed" pop-up, head to Monitoring -> Logs -> Download detailed logs ... put the file to any cloud share, and sent the link with that information to @RaghuHR.

I've tried it via Insight and tried it on standalone.  This morning while I was going through some things in standalone mode, I noticed that the settings for the radios for MIMO were off by default. I never saw anything for those settings in Insight...?  As far as the logs, I cleared them and then tried to connect to the Captive Portal SSID.  I will upload them here in a minute.

Message 4 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Hey I get your point! In my opinion WiFi scheduling must be per SSID - infrastructure, IoT, back office has to continue working when guests are off. The PoE schedule on the switch would kill down the AP completely, the global radio schedule is pretty much for the aluminium hat people 8-)
Message 5 of 11

@RaghuHR wrote:

Hi @ComputerMikes 

Could you please share the type of wireless clients that you have used? Is it iPhones or Android phones?

Have you configured different VLAN for that SSID, if yes, please ensure  DHCP server running for that respective VLAN in back-end.

Please send the detailed logs to debug further.

Thanks,

Raghu

I have tried both.  Even tried a laptop.

I'm using a different VLAN and it is tagged all the way back to the BR500 I'm using.

Message 6 of 11

@schumaku wrote:
Hey I get your point! In my opinion WiFi scheduling must be per SSID - infrastructure, IoT, back office has to continue working when guests are off. The PoE schedule on the switch would kill down the AP completely, the global radio schedule is pretty much for the aluminium hat people 8-)

Exactly!  the WAC730 has it built in, but you could only set one range of time per day, so if the business operated overnight, you couldn't continue it past midnight.  Business Central allows you to at least activate any 30 minute incriments you want per SSID. 🙂

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@ComputerMikes wrote:

The specs say af, but the GS110TP was only powering the WAC540.  No other PoE devices.  No matter what I did, the 540 wouldn't allow me to sign in and was complaining there wasn't enough power..

So either there is something borked on the GS110TP, there is an interop issue with the new WAC540, or the WAC540 has some systematic issues with PoE if af isn't sufficient. Beta units can be different - but this is something Netgear must look into urgently. Again @RaghuHR please, or whoever is in charge.

@ComputerMikes wrote:

I've tried it via Insight and tried it on standalone.  This morning while I was going through some things in standalone mode, I noticed that the settings for the radios for MIMO were off by default. I never saw anything for those settings in Insight...?

There are a bunch of advanced WiFi settings on the WAC505/510 added recently to the local management (and available while Insight managed) - with not optimal defaults indeed. Complained some months ago when we spotted these for the first time wit some firmware updates, can't see why 802.11h, MU-MIMO, ... are not Insight manageable on a site or global level. Disputable if MU-MIMO enabled makes any sense on a larger scale with many random clients - but then it's mandatory on on the coming-up 802.1ax.

@ComputerMikes wrote:

I will upload them here in a minute.

Send a PM with a reference link to @RaghuHR - don't post it here in the public, as it can contain critical insights.

Would be nice if @ChristineT or a moderator would move this thread to the Insight community section, I think we're on the right path, this doesn't require @johngm in the loop.

Message 8 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@ComputerMikes wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

Exactly!  the WAC730 has it built in, ... per SSID. 🙂

Very similar, the WAC505/510 have it built-in - per SSID - but only available in standalone management mode. Convinced the WAC540 should have it, too.

Message 9 of 11
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @ComputerMikes 

From the logs we could see

1. You have created three SSID with different vlan (1, 9 and 10).
  2. The SSID configured with vlan 10, is having FB captive portal enabled, in which the clients are not getting IP address.
  3. Since the captive portal is enabled in that SSID, AP is trying to get the IP from back-end for brvlan10 interface. From the logs we are able to see that the AP sending the dhcp discover but it is not getting any response from dhcp server. So clients are also not able to get IP address.

Please check why DHCP server is not responding.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 10 of 11

@RaghuHR wrote:

Hi @ComputerMikes 

1. Since the captive portal is enabled in that SSID, AP is trying to get the IP from back-end for brvlan10 interface. From the logs we are able to see that the AP sending the dhcp discover but it is not getting any response from dhcp server. So clients are also not able to get IP address.

Please check why DHCP server is not responding.

Thanks,

Raghu

So after doing a bit of figuring (Insight management of the GC510PP is not as straight-forward as in standalone mode when it comes to tagging/untagging ports) I was able to find out that each VLAN has to have the uplink port set as a trunk individually.  I'm totally NOT used to that and never have seen it done that way.

Now, my phone, an android, is getting an IP address, but it not getting prompted for capture portal for signin.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements