× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CPU FAN Clip ReadyNas Pro 6

linelius
Tutor

CPU FAN Clip ReadyNas Pro 6

CPU Fan gave in last week so ordered a NoiseBlocker replacement. A bit of careless handling and I snapped the plastic clip-on ring that holds the Fan on the heatsink when removing the old fan.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement part? Not particularly keen on going down the ’superglue route’
Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6310v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: CPU FAN Clip ReadyNas Pro 6

@linelius wrote:
CPU Fan gave in last week so ordered a NoiseBlocker replacement. A bit of careless handling and I snapped the plastic clip-on ring that holds the Fan on the heatsink when removing the old fan.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement part? Not particularly keen on going down the ’superglue route’

No idea on the replacing the heat sink.

I do have two comments on the fan choice though - the original was 15mm, and as far as I can see all the NoiseBlocker fans are 25mm.  It might not fit without bending the chassis metal a bit.

Also, the original had a CFM spec of 48.7, and static pressure of 5.35.  NoiseBlocker doesn't have a fan that meets that spec.  So keep a close eye on the cooling performance.  FWIW, a Dynatron DF128015BU meets the factory specs (but also would have about the same noise level as the stock fan).

Message 2 of 8
linelius
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, although not to the question I asked about the mounting clip...

Noiseblocker PC-P is 15mm, and I did find the performance quite close...

http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/products/noiseblocker-it-fans/nb-blacksilent-pro-series/80x80x15mm...

I will certainly keep an eye on the cooling performance, but for now I actually see better cooling than with the stock fan. Altough that one was 'limping' towards the end..

Again, anybody actually able to help me with a suggestion on how to sort the broken fan mounting bracket?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@linelius wrote:

Noiseblocker PC-P is 15mm, and I did find the performance quite close...

http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/products/noiseblocker-it-fans/nb-blacksilent-pro-series/80x80x15mm...

Thx, I missed that one.  CFM looks good, the static pressure seems lower than stock.  Good to hear that it is performing well.

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

If you do go with glue, superglue is a poor choice.  A glue that slightly disolves and fuses the plastic would be best, but I'm not sure what type of plastic it is.  There are some general purpose ones that work on many different types of plastic.  Barring that, a quality epoxy would be better than superglue.

Netgear has never sold parts, and the part does not seem to be one that has a generic equivalent.  I'm afraid a broken NAS is about the only place you could pick one up.  I have no Pro6 parts.  All the "broken" one's I've bought were able to be fixed.

Message 5 of 8
linelius
Tutor

Would an Akasa AK-CCE-7102EP cooler work to replace the stock fitted? For max CPU 73W. Looks similar bar the pins that I would need to swap for the spring/screw...

http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/cpu.product.tpl&no=181&type=CPU%20Cooler&type_sub=Sta...

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Do you think it will fit in the chassis? Airflow and static pressure are both below the specs of the stock fan.  Still it might provide enough cooling.

Maybe try epoxy on the broken fan clip, as that would at least give you an interim solution.

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

It certainly does look like it would fit.  You need to make sure there is enough room between the sidewall and fan, too; not that it "just fits".  Too  small a gap will maess with the static pressure.  If you try it, please share y9our results (and maybe a retailer of the part, too).

Another option i thought of is instead of trying to repair the clip, just use some silicone glue to hold the fan in place on the side where the clip is broken.  It holds well, but is easy to remove when you want to.  Using a electronics grade one would be best (no acetic acid to mess with anything), but if you make sure you don't drip any on the board and leave the side panel open until the vinegar smell is gone, the standard stuff should work.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements