× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does ReadyNAS Ultra 2 support Seagate ST4000VN008 ?

zigdapig
Aspirant

Does ReadyNAS Ultra 2 support Seagate ST4000VN008 ?

RNDU2000 / Windows 7

In the supported hardware list for ReadyNAS Ultra 2, I can see that it supports :

SeagateNAS HDD ST4000VN000

4 TB

Can I then assume that it will also work with a slightly different series (IronWolf) of the same Seagate drive ?

SeagateNAS HDD ST4000VN0084 TB

Has anyone used a Readynas Utlra 2 with the IronWolf editions of Seagate ?

Model: ReadyNASRNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Does ReadyNAS Ultra 2 support Seagate ST4000VN008 ?

Hello zigdapig,

The HCL of legacy units has not received an update for quite a while, until now I am also waiting for a list of NOT compatible disks instead of compatible disks. We always recommend to use the ones in the HCL, however, there are some users who are able to use disks that are not listed.

About using disks that are not compatible, I hope other members would chime in and share their views.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Netgear stopped updating the HCL for legacy ReadyNAS some time ago.  

I think it's safe to assume that the newer Ironwolf will also work.  

Note that larger drives are gradually shifting to alternative mounting holes, which would reduce the number of screws you can use to mount the drive.  But (for now at least) that only applies to drives that are >= 6 TB. 

Message 2 of 4
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello zigdapig,

The HCL of legacy units has not received an update for quite a while, until now I am also waiting for a list of NOT compatible disks instead of compatible disks. We always recommend to use the ones in the HCL, however, there are some users who are able to use disks that are not listed.

About using disks that are not compatible, I hope other members would chime in and share their views.

Regards,

Message 3 of 4
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello zigdapig,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements