× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS212 : disk full, but stored data is much less than capacity

hnrkndr
Aspirant

NAS212 : disk full, but stored data is much less than capacity

Hi!

Newbie question about capacity of NAS212 with 2x 4TB, RAID1:

Approaching 100% full disks, I have removed data (moved files back to the PC) from the NAS This cleared hundreds of GB, but after a few minutes, the NAS was choking full again.

The sum of stored files is waaay less than the anticipated capacity. I don`t understand what is going on. Which settings or actions do you recommend to re-gain more storage space?  

Your time is much appreciated!!

P.S.:

1. I have run a scrub and balance, but not yet the de-fregment tool (disk is too full to complete?)

2. I am going to purchase a 2nd hand RN214 4x3TG for immediate storage expansion, but I would still like to understand the above posted problem. 

3. I could post the system log, if that helps?

01.jpg02.jpg

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: NAS212 : disk full, but stored data is much less than capacity

It might be simplest to delete the volume, recreate it and the shares, and then move everything back.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It might be simplest to delete the volume, recreate it and the shares, and then move everything back.

Message 2 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

How much is in home folders?  The GUI doesn't show usage there.  Do you have any ISCSI targets?

Message 3 of 10
hnrkndr
Aspirant

Ohhhh! On the home drive, I found are hundred of folders with thousands of copies of previously deleted desktop files!!!

Thanks for pointing me at this discovery 😉

The NAS seems to make timestamped copies of every file that once was placed on the desktop. 

FYI, I use the PC desktop daily in my workflow as a temporary holding bay for up/downloaded files. 

With 5 minutes of deleting some of these old temp files, I have gained substantial free space. 

Thanks for your help 🙂

04.jpg

FYI, I do not use the "home" folders" for deliberate data storage at all; instead I have all my storage arranged in named shares.

Message 4 of 10
hnrkndr
Aspirant

I learned from the software manual that iSCSI targets have something to do with LUNs / LUN group on the ReadyNAS. Or something with 'iSCSI-Attached Device' 

I do not have any LUNs set up on my NAS.

No attached devices either as far as I know.

Regards

Henrik

05.jpg

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@hnrkndr wrote:

The NAS seems to make timestamped copies of every file that once was placed on the desktop. 

You must have ReadyCloud backup (or perhaps some other backup with the NAS as the destination) set up on the PC.

Message 6 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

I've had a suggestion in for some time to show usage of home folders.  But since Netgear has completely ignored it thus far, I doubt it'll ever be implemented.

Can you set your backup software to remove backups after some time?  And creating a "Temp" folder on your desktop that's excluded from backup can also help here.  If excluding something on the desktop isn't an option, put Temp somewhere else with a shortcut on the desktop.

Message 7 of 10
hnrkndr
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply @Sandshark .

I can follow what you are suggesting 🙂

The strange thing is that I have not set up any backup scheme - The NAS seems to just backup all desktop files without being instructed.

NAS backup.jpg

I do not have any other backup software running.

I have ploughed through the NAS manual and this forum..... I still cannot find out what settings control the NAS doing this desktop mirroring.  

Does any of you Pros would kindly point me in the right direction, please?

Instead of logging in as "admin", do I need to set up myself a dummy "User" account with some restrictions?

Thanks again for your time!

NAS.jpg

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@hnrkndr wrote:

I still cannot find out what settings control the NAS doing this desktop mirroring.  

It's not being controlled by the NAS, it's being controlled by the ReadyCloud app on the PC.

https://kb.netgear.com/29776/How-do-I-back-up-data-from-a-Windows-PC-to-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-system-usin...

Message 9 of 10
hnrkndr
Aspirant

Hi all

...just sharing an observation that answers my own question in my earlier post: "I still cannot find out what settings control the NAS doing this desktop mirroring."

I incidentally found out that Windows File History was active - it sent local data onto my NAS for backup of versions. I was not aware of this at all. In total over 3 years this PC setting dumped nearly 3TB onto the NAS!!!  I have turned this feature off.

Case solved - Thanks to all pros who got involved - Much appreciated!

Windows history.jpg

So 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements