× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pro Pioneer Edition RAIDiator 4.2.30 Future Proofing

winger13
Guide

Pro Pioneer Edition RAIDiator 4.2.30 Future Proofing

OK OK, I have a dinosaur.   I purchased this many years ago to serve as our family vault for pictures and videos, and important files.  Have not upgraded the OS or really touched it from a maintenance/upgrade perspective in years and was checking in to make sure I get input from the community on what is needed to future proof this setup.

I have seen two things that concerned me recently -

1) Last year when I purchased a Windows 10 machine, I discovered I could no longer access shares on the NAS due to SMB1 support no longer set by default (workaround was to enable SMB1)

2) Recently, all my various  browsers could no longer access the NAS' front end ( using https://ipaddress/admin ) due to TLS1.2 being default on the browsers. (workaround was setting tls-deprecated to true)

First, are there OS upgrades to my NAS which will permanently fix the two items above?

Second, is my expectations that this NAS will be functional (assuming hardware does not burn out) 30 years down the road?  I mean, this machine is only turned on when needed, which is less than 3 hours per month at the max (sometimes it is turned only a few mins per month to perform picture transfers).  I have replaced a couple of bad drives (it was used more often in the past) and expanded the capacity at least twice and replaced a bad power supply - but these are manageable.  What is not manageable is if the OS get so outdated it will not play with current Window OS, protocols, etc.

What things would I need to do to keep this machine running and accessible by future OS's?  Is Netgear going to continue updating the OS?

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Pro Pioneer Edition RAIDiator 4.2.30 Future Proofing

BTW, do you have a backup strategy for your NAS?  RAID isn't enough to keep the data safe.

@winger13 wrote:

1) Last year when I purchased a Windows 10 machine, I discovered I could no longer access shares on the NAS due to SMB1 support no longer set by default (workaround was to enable SMB1)

2) Recently, all my various  browsers could no longer access the NAS' front end ( using https://ipaddress/admin ) due to TLS1.2 being default on the browsers. (workaround was setting tls-deprecated to true)

First, are there OS upgrades to my NAS which will permanently fix the two items above?

It is possible to convert the NAS to run OS-6 firmware (currently 6.10.8).  That would resolve both issues.  But you would need to add some memory to the Pro (2 GB total is enough), and the process is destructive (disks are reformatted), so data would need to be restored from the backup.  We can give you more information on this if you like.  Note the NVX ReadyNAS can't be converted, but all the Pro models can be.

You could also install a third-party add-on to resolve (2) with your current fimware.

BTW, 4.2.31 was the final software for your NAS so you are one firmware update behind.

@winger13 wrote:

Is Netgear going to continue updating the OS?

No.  The NAS became end-of-life in several years ago, and Netgear said at the time that 4.2.31 would be the final firmware.

Although Netgear is still providing updates to OS-6, most people here have concluded that they are exiting the NAS business.  The most recent ReadyNAS platform was launched in 2017.

@winger13 wrote:

Second, is my expectations that this NAS will be functional (assuming hardware does not burn out) 30 years down the road? 

I've found my various ReadyNAS to be very reliable (the oldest being about 14 years old, and still functioning).  But I don't expect them to run indefinitely.  The system boards are custom, and if one fails it cannot be replaced with a new one. Flash memory in particular has a limited life.  Even though the NAS isn't used much, every time you power it on there is some chance of failure.

Thirty years from now, your NAS would be over 40 years old.  MS-DOS was the current technology 40 years ago - launched in 1981.  I certainly wouldn't want to be running that today.  Or Windows 3.1 (launched about 30 years ago - 1992).  If I did want to run it, transferring data would be a challenge.  The PC I was using in 1992 didn't have ethernet and the only practical way to copy data was on floppy disks (CD-ROMs weren't mainstream yet).  Printers were connected via parallel ports that no longer exist on modern PCs.

So apart from the likelihood of hardware failure, you are making big assumptions about future technology.  I doubt SATA drives will be around 30 years from now.  Similarly, I expect backwards compatibility to USB 2 will be dropped at some point.  Not sure how long ethernet will be out there for consumer electronics - most consumer laptops (and many business laptops) have dropped their ethernet ports, which is a pretty big hint. 

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Pro Pioneer Edition RAIDiator 4.2.30 Future Proofing

A processor upgrade will go a long way in boosting the performance of your NAS, especially under OS6.  A Core 2 Duo E7500 is a good choice, and dirt cheap on eBay these days.  You will need to update the motherboard BIOS before you go above an E6600, but there is a package that makes that easy under OS4.2.x.

My understanding is that there are some very early Pro models that cannot be updated to those processors, and I'm not 100% sure just how to identify them.  But if you do the BIOS update (or already have) and it reports FLAME6-MB V2.0 (in bios_ver.log in the downloaded logs), then I believe it's compatible.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements