× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN10400 - multiple failed disks or failed NAS hardware?

Doug6392
Guide

RN10400 - multiple failed disks or failed NAS hardware?

Using latest firmware and 4 WD Red 4TB HDDs in RAID5 configuration. NAS fell on its side (vacuuming accident) and overnight registered 2 failed disks and a dead drive. Am currently doing HD diagnostic on disks reported failed. Did factory default and one of 2 remaining disks reported failed. NAS is well out of warranty; before I invest in new HDDs, does this sound like the disks or the NAS failed? Thanks.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Doug6392
Guide

Re: RN10400 - multiple failed disks or failed NAS hardware?

@Doug6392 wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@Doug6392 wrote:
Tried rebooting with a known good HDD, and it rebooted into a legacy boot mode.

Was this drive formatted?  If it was, then the NAS might be fine.

Try the fast write-zero test in lifeguard - that will remove the partitions.  Then put it back in the NAS and power it up, and see if you get a different result.

Impressive, @StephenB ! I did as you suggested, and instead of booting into Legacy Mode, the NAS appears to be booting normally. I will go ahead and run the other tests as suggested (keeping my fingers crossed!) and post the result.

Thanks very much.

Final (hopefully!) update: after running through the tests suggest by @Sandshark it appears that all drive bays are functioning properly. I added another old but still serviceable HDD (on which I first performed the quick erase as suggested by @StephenB ), and on bootup the NAS is working to expand the existing JBOD. I can now go ahead with some confidence to begin to replace the failed HDDs. Thankfully, the last time I had a NAS hardware failure (2015, when I upgraded to my current NAS) I also learned the hard way that a NAS isn't a backup, so I have a complete backup of all the data lost in my sad vacuuming accident. 🙂

Many thanks again for your prompt and capable assistance.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Doug6392 wrote:

Using latest firmware and 4 WD Red 4TB HDDs in RAID5 configuration. NAS fell on its side (vacuuming accident) and overnight registered 2 failed disks and a dead drive. Am currently doing HD diagnostic on disks reported failed. Did factory default and one of 2 remaining disks reported failed. NAS is well out of warranty; before I invest in new HDDs, does this sound like the disks or the NAS failed? Thanks.

Sounds like the disks to me, but there could also be damage to the NAS.

You could test the disks in a Windows PC with WD's Lifeguard software.  You can connect them either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock.

Message 2 of 10
Doug6392
Guide

Thanks. That's what I'm using to test the drives (in a dock), although it's painfully slow. I'm also running a memory test on the NAS at the same time; it should be finished first: I understand that if it doesn't finish in about 4 hours, then I may have my answer. (Hopefully they're not both borked! 😉 )

Message 3 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Unfortunatly, the SATA backplane is also at risk, depending on what side of the NAS hit the ground.  Here is your best test:

Using a known good drive (one of the old ones you've tested, or any you might have around), install just that drive and create a JBOD volume on it.  (This will, of course, erase any data on the drive, but I think you realize your volume is alreay toast.)  Then test it by adding a few files and accessing them.  Or use a speed test program.  Then power down, swap drive to the next bay, power up, and test again (you won't have to re-create the volume).  Repeat for bays 3 and 4.  Check the log for any signs of a problem (esp. mentions of ATA errors), and check the drive SMART, too.

It's not a comprehensive test, but any backplane damage isn't likely to propagate, so it's pretty good at finding anything.

Message 4 of 10
Doug6392
Guide

@Sandshark wrote:

Unfortunatly, the SATA backplane is also at risk, depending on what side of the NAS hit the ground.  Here is your best test:

Using a known good drive (one of the old ones you've tested, or any you might have around), install just that drive and create a JBOD volume on it.  (This will, of course, erase any data on the drive, but I think you realize your volume is alreay toast.)  Then test it by adding a few files and accessing them.  Or use a speed test program.  Then power down, swap drive to the next bay, power up, and test again (you won't have to re-create the volume).  Repeat for bays 3 and 4.  Check the log for any signs of a problem (esp. mentions of ATA errors), and check the drive SMART, too.

It's not a comprehensive test, but any backplane damage isn't likely to propagate, so it's pretty good at finding anything.

Thanks for what sounds like a great suggestion. Might be a day or 2 before I can try it but I will post the result as an update.

Message 5 of 10
Doug6392
Guide

@Doug6392 wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

Thanks for what sounds like a great suggestion. Might be a day or 2 before I can try it but I will post the result as an update.

I tested all 4 HDDs using WD software - all failed the extended testing. I also let the memory test run on the RN104 for over 12 hours, at which point I powered the unit down. Tried rebooting with a known good HDD, and it rebooted into a legacy boot mode. I suspect that the NAS and all 4 HDDs are toast, and given that I was trying to vacuum the exhaust ports and intake area when the NAS fell onto its side, I am forced to dispute the adage that "cleanliness is next to godliness..." It now looks like I will cancel the order for new HDDs, and see how much of a replacement NAS I can afford. Unfortunately the RN104 is long end-of-life, and I'm not sure I can justify the cost of the new ones. Might be QNAP - their few-years-old models are similar in capabilities, and still affordable.

Tech's great when it works; otherwise, an expensive hobby!

Thanks for the help and very useful suggestions.

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Doug6392 wrote:

Try the fast write-zero test in lifeguard - that will remove the partitions.  Then put it back in the NAS and power it up, and see if you get a different result.

Message 7 of 10
Doug6392
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@Doug6392 wrote:

Impressive, @StephenB ! I did as you suggested, and instead of booting into Legacy Mode, the NAS appears to be booting normally. I will go ahead and run the other tests as suggested (keeping my fingers crossed!) and post the result.

Thanks very much.

Message 8 of 10
Doug6392
Guide

@Doug6392 wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@Doug6392 wrote:

Thanks very much.

Final (hopefully!) update: after running through the tests suggest by @Sandshark it appears that all drive bays are functioning properly. I added another old but still serviceable HDD (on which I first performed the quick erase as suggested by @StephenB ), and on bootup the NAS is working to expand the existing JBOD. I can now go ahead with some confidence to begin to replace the failed HDDs. Thankfully, the last time I had a NAS hardware failure (2015, when I upgraded to my current NAS) I also learned the hard way that a NAS isn't a backup, so I have a complete backup of all the data lost in my sad vacuuming accident. 🙂

Many thanks again for your prompt and capable assistance.

Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Well, I think that's probably your best case scenario.  If the NAS had been off, the drives may have had a better chance of survival, especially if the floor is carpeted.  But spinning platters aren't normally going to take that.

"Sad vacuuming accident" is not a phrase I thought I'd ever hear.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements