× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 locks up out of memory

pgaylord
Aspirant

RN214 locks up out of memory

I have been having problems for months where my RN214 completely locks up.  You can't ping it.  When you momentarily press the power button, the display doesn't even come alive, though the power button is illuminated.  If you hold the power button down, nothing happens (was hoping to force a reboot).  The only thing I can do to bring it back to life is to pull the power cord out of the back of it and plug it back in.  Then it boots normally and works again for a week or two -- just to repeat the same process.  I dug through the logs and one thinig I found consistently in systemd-journal.log and kernel.log is right before the crash, I get this error message:

Dec 11 21:54:59 ReadyNAS-02 kernel: Out of memory: Kill process 3173 (smbd) score 7 or sacrifice child
Dec 11 21:54:59 ReadyNAS-02 kernel: Killed process 3173 (smbd) total-vm:104008kB, anon-rss:11124kB, file-rss:13500kB
Dec 11 21:58:48 ReadyNAS-02 systemd[1]: systemd-journald-audit.socket: Cannot add dependency job, ignoring: Unit systemd-journald-audit.socket is masked.
Dec 11 21:59:01 ReadyNAS-02 systemd[1]: Started Radar Update.

I am running firmware 6.10.2, and this problem has occurred for at least the last two firmware versions.

Any help is appreciated!

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 10
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN214 locks up out of memory

@pgaylord

Welcome to the Community!

How many apps are installed and running? Have you run memory test?

You will have to access the Boot menu and run Memory test to check.  Kindly send the logs as well so we can check.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 10
pgaylord
Aspirant

My apologies.  Your reply got lost in my inbox and I didn't see it until today.

I ran the memory test.  It ran for at least four hours.  In the end, it said "test passed".  I wasn't able to attach the logs because the forum only accepts files with a ". jpg,gif,png,pdf" extension, and the logs are are rolled up in a ZIP file.  Is there any particular file from the set of logs you're interested in seeing?  Then I can just post the text from it.  Otherwise, if there's a location I can upload the ZIP file to, I'll do that.

I really appreciate the help!

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@pgaylord wrote:

I ran the memory test.  It ran for at least four hours.  In the end, it said "test passed".  I wasn't able to attach the logs because the forum only accepts files with a ". jpg,gif,png,pdf" extension, and the logs are are rolled up in a ZIP file.  Is there any particular file from the set of logs you're interested in seeing?  Then I can just post the text from it.  Otherwise, if there's a location I can upload the ZIP file to, I'll do that.

The mods want the full log zip (which shouldn't be posted publicly).

You upload the zip into cloud storage (google drive, dropbox, etc), and then send the mods a private message (PM) that has a link to the logs.  Maybe also put in a link to this thread.  You send a PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

Message 4 of 10
mdgm
Virtuoso

Out of Memory (OOM) errors suggest trying to run too much on the system (e.g. too many services/apps or doing too much using services/apps) or a memory leak (bug with a service/app leading to abnormally high memory usage). The system can encounter multiple OOM errors leading up to crashing as it force shuts down processes trying to free up enough memory. What you want to see is what was using memory when the first OOM was encountered as this gives the first clue as to what may have cause the problem.
Message 5 of 10
pgaylord
Aspirant

That does make sense.  In my case, I do not have any apps installed.  I am only using this as a NAS device serving a single share via SMB.  From what I can tell from the logs, it's the SMB process that is causing the OOM condition.

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

If there are services in system->setting that you aren't using (or can live without), then you could try turning those off.

Message 7 of 10
mdgm
Virtuoso

Well NETGEAR should be able to confirm if SMB is the problem from reviewing the logs.

The logs should show a list of processes running and their memory usage at the time the first OOM occurred. That the smbd process was the first process to be killed doesn't necessarily mean that smbd memory usage was the symptom of the problem.

Message 8 of 10
pgaylord
Aspirant

Good point.  I hadn't looked there.  I will turn off AFP, NFS, Ready DLNA, and UPnP.  I'm not using them.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@pgaylord wrote:

I will turn off AFP, NFS, ReadyDLNA, and UPnP.  I'm not using them.

That of course will reduce the memory footprint. 

Though it's still worth figuring out what happened.  If you can't figure it out from the log zip, then I suggest sending one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) a private message with a downloadable link to the log zip, and ask them to analyze.  Don't post that link publicly.  You can send a PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements