× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS 102 no longer accessable

BenRedd
Aspirant

Ready NAS 102 no longer accessable

Hello,

I have a Ready NAS 102 version 6.4.1.  It seems maybe the OS is out of date because even though is powered on, I can ping it, my network and computer sees it, it will no longer let me in to get to my data.  At this point I just want to take the removable drives out and save off the data. However, I think the OS has some type of security preventing me to do this.  How can I get to my data?  Does NetGear offer a service to get the data saved off?  

Message 1 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready NAS 102 no longer accessable

@BenRedd wrote:

I have a Ready NAS 102 version 6.4.1.  It seems maybe the OS is out of date 

Dec 2015 firmware, so yes - very out of date.  Current firmware is 6.10.9.  Did you ever update it?

@BenRedd wrote:

I have a Ready NAS 102 version 6.4.1.  It seems maybe the OS is out of date because even though is powered on, I can ping it, my network and computer sees it, it will no longer let me in to get to my data.  

What status is RAIDar giving you?

You want RAIDar 6.5

1. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

What happens if you browse to https://nas-ip-address/admin? (using the real NAS IP address of course).  Do you get a username/password prompt?

What happens if you enter \\nas-ip-address in the File Explorer address bar?  Make sure you use the correct slash (\\, not //).

Message 2 of 27
Sandshark
Sensei

There is no protection on the drives unless you set it up as an encrypted volume.  But it's a Linux MDADM RAID with a Linux BTRFS file system on top, neither of which can be read by Windows natively.  There are some beta drivers out there that purport to add that capability to Windows, but I've not tried them.

Message 3 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

There is no protection on the drives unless you set it up as an encrypted volume.  But it's a Linux MDADM RAID with a Linux BTRFS file system on top, neither of which can be read by Windows natively.  There are some beta drivers out there that purport to add that capability to Windows, but I've not tried them.

I think we need to first confirm the NAS status as best we can.  It's quite possible that the problem is disk-related.

Message 4 of 27
BenRedd
Aspirant

Hello thanks for the reply.  If I try to browse the drive <IP>/admin or just <IP>, I get the "This site can't be reached " form my windows bowser.  I used t be able to get is a couple of months ago.  The unit is powered on and lights green.  The Icon shows up in my Network connections in the File manager.  However, when you click on it it no longer show's you the file folders or any content.  This is a mirrored dual RAID and my gut is is is the NAS SW and drive data is OK.  I just need to get to it...

Message 5 of 27
BenRedd
Aspirant

OK I am not well versed in any LINUX applications.  What steps then can I use to get the data?  Can I pop the dicks out and insert them in another **bleep** dock and run some program to get copy my files onto another disk?

Message 6 of 27
BenRedd
Aspirant

If I try to browse the drive <IP>/admin or just <IP>, I get the "This site can't be reached " form my windows bowser.  I used t be able to get is a couple of months ago.  The unit is powered on and lights green.  The Icon shows up in my Network connections in the File manager.  However, when you click on it it no longer show's you the file folders or any content.  This is a mirrored dual RAID....SO How cna I check?  Should I update eh firmware?

Message 7 of 27
StephenB
Guru

,@BenRedd wrote:

The Icon shows up in my Network connections in the File manager.  However, when you click on it it no longer show's you the file folders or any content.  

But what happens if you enter \\nas-ip-address in the file manager address bar (instead of clicking on the icon)?  Be careful to use the correct slash - //nas-ip-address will open your browser.

Also, what status is RAIDar 6.5 giving you?

It'd be helpful to see a screenshot of what it says.

Message 8 of 27
BenRedd
Aspirant

If I try to browse the drive <IP>/admin or just <IP>, I get the "This site can't be reached " form my windows bowser.  I used t be able to get is a couple of months ago.  The unit is powered on and lights green.  The Icon shows up in my Network connections in the File manager.  However, when you click on it it no longer show's you the file folders or any content.

Thus I cannot see any status via my computer.

Message 9 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@BenRedd wrote:

If I try to browse the drive <IP>/admin or just <IP>, I get the "This site can't be reached " form my windows bowser. 

Let me try again.

First download RAIDar 6.5 from this page and install it on your PC:

Scroll down the web page until you see this section:

RAIDar.png

After you install RAIDar on your Windows PC, run it, and see if it finds your NAS.  If it does, you'll see a page that looks like this:

raidar2.png

It'd be useful to see exactly what your page says, so posting a screen shot would be helpful.

Second, open explorer and enter \\nas-ip-address in the address bar as shown below. DO NOT CLICK ON THE ICON.  Make sure you start with \\

explorer.png

When I do that, I get a list of shares. I've removed most of their names in the screen shot above.  It'd be helpful to know if you see a list of shares, or if something else happens.

Message 10 of 27
BenRedd
Aspirant

ok thanks.  I had to load java first but I got the 6.5 to run.  I get a screen that shows the NAS is healthy but if I browse the data if still gives me no data. I still cannot browse the admin page via //IP.

BenRedd_0-1684669253060.png

Message 11 of 27
BenRedd
Aspirant

If I try to click on Diagnostics it asked me for the user name and password which I have correct and tells me it is wrong.  Can you factory reset password without erasing the disk data?

Message 12 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@BenRedd wrote:

ok thanks.  I had to load java first but I got the 6.5 to run.  I get a screen that shows the NAS is healthy but if I browse the data if still gives me no data.

Looks like the NAS is running 6.5.2 firmware, so a bit newer than 6.4.1.

@BenRedd wrote:

I still cannot browse the admin page via //IP.

Did you try the second step I suggested?  That is, entering \\192.168.1.14 into the file explorer address bar?

//192.168.1.14 will open your browser, so you do need to enter \\192.168.1.14

Message 13 of 27
BenRedd
Aspirant

yes. many many times.  It states the page is not available.  Any other ideas?  Thank you so much for your help BTW.

Message 14 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@BenRedd wrote:

yes. many many times.  It states the page is not available.  Any other ideas?  Thank you so much for your help BTW.

Are you SURE you are using \\ as I instructed?

If it opens up your browser, then you are using //

Message 15 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@BenRedd wrote:

If I try to click on Diagnostics it asked me for the user name and password which I have correct and tells me it is wrong.  

The username for the diagnostics has to be admin

Is that what you are using?

Message 16 of 27
BenRedd
Aspirant

If I type \\<IP> in File Explorer I get this error:

BenRedd_0-1684755754919.png

If I type \\<IP> into a browser I get "page cannot be found" from browser.

If I type // <!P> into a browser I get "page cannot be found" from browser.

Message 17 of 27
BenRedd
Aspirant

yes and I never changed the default password. 

BenRedd_0-1684756085236.png

Interestingly the SW you had me download at least gets me to the NAS but jst cannot get in.  The Browser does not anymore.

Message 18 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@BenRedd wrote:

I never changed the default password. 

That might be why the diagnostic mode isn't working.

@BenRedd wrote:

The Browser does not anymore.

I am still confused on what you are seeing with file explorer when you enter the IP address (prepended with \\) in the address bar.

It sounds like the system is opening the browser. which suggests you are using the wrong slash.

BTW, have you tried just rebooting the NAS?

Message 19 of 27
BenRedd
Aspirant

I mentioned in the reply prior that if I type the \\ <IP> in the File Explorer the browser does not open but I get this error:

BenRedd_0-1684802330820.png

Yes, I rebooted the NAS.  I also tried keeping off for a few days and power on again.  No change.  Any other thoughts?

Message 20 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@BenRedd wrote:

I mentioned in the reply prior that if I type the \\ <IP> in the File Explorer the browser does not open but I get this error:

Thx.  FWIW, you said you got a "This site can't be reached" message, which is not something I've seen with file explorer.

I wasn't sure if you meant "internet browser" or "file browser" in your earlier reply.

@BenRedd wrote:

Any other thoughts?

I suggest testing the disks in a Windows PC (using either SATA or a USB adapter/dock to connect them).  Vendor tools are best (Seatools for Seagate, WD's dashboard utility for WD).  Power down the NAS before removing them, and label them by slot so you know where they go.

With the disks removed, you might also power up and NAS and confirm that you see a "no disks" status in RAIDar.

You could also try resetting the admin password back to the default password, and see if that gives you access to the admin web ui.  You do that using the "OS reinstall" option in the boot menu.  See pages 20-21 here:

Be careful not to do the factory default procedure, as that will reformat the disks and destroy the data.

Do you have a backup of the data?

Message 21 of 27
Sandshark
Sensei

Except that you get the user name and password prompt, this sounds very much like you have made changes in your network configuration but the NAS still has a static address for the old configuration.  Is your PC's IP address in the 192.168.1.xxx range?  The OS re-install suggested by @StephenB would also remedy this.

Message 22 of 27
BenRedd
Aspirant

OK thank you!.  I will try these things after the Holiday.

Message 23 of 27
BenRedd
Aspirant

Hello again.  So I finally had time to try all these suggestions.  Suggestion using a disk doc did not work.  The computer saw the USB disk drive connection and showed me the device.  But it never opened a folder or anything in the file manager to allows me to see files. This unit works with other disks I own (Sisun All in 1 HDD Docking).

I tried doing a OS Re-Install. I followed the instructions and it appeared to do something.  But then the power button went into fast flashing after awhile and never stopped.  I let it sit that way for quite while and then power cycled.  Now I just get a slow flashing as if it was in the boot mode.  Been that way for 30+ minutes.  So far nothing has helped.  

I do not have a backup and need the data off the disk.  Does anyone know of a paid service that can restore the data for me of a NAS 102?  NetGear is not offering that option.

Message 24 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@BenRedd wrote:

So I finally had time to try all these suggestions.  Suggestion using a disk doc did not work.  The computer saw the USB disk drive connection and showed me the device.  But it never opened a folder or anything in the file manager to allows me to see files.

The suggestion was to connect the disk to a Windows PC so you could run the vendor diags - Seatools for Seagate, Dashboard, for Western Digital.  Windows doesn't recognize the file format, so you cannot offload data that way.  But those tools will find the disks, and let you test them.

@BenRedd wrote:

Does anyone know of a paid service that can restore the data for me of a NAS 102?  NetGear is not offering that option.

Since you can connect disks to your PC, I suggest purchasing ReclaiMe  You'd need the $200 version.

You can download and see if it can find your files prior to purchase.  You can run this with only one disk since you are using RAID-1.

Note you will also need enough storage to offload the data.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements