× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 tray/caddy

vestry
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 tray/caddy

Does anyone know where I can get a tray/caddy for a RN104? I saw the links in a similar post some months back but they lead to items that are out of stock with an unknown availability date which isn't helpful. Does anyone have a spare they no longer need?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: ReadyNAS 104 tray/caddy

Hi @vestry, for a few bucks you could pick this one, dismantle it, use one caddy and sell back the other parts or keep them as spare. The caddies are the same as in RN104.

Kind regards

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Netgear-ReadyNas-Duo-RN102-Network-Attached-Storage-NAS-Seagate-Barracuda-2...

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Note that older desktop ReadyNAS trays will also work in the OS-6 NAS (though the new trays won't fit the old NAS).  So you could get an older tray (either stand-alone as getting an old used NAS).  The older trays with the round latches tend to stick, so you'd be better off getting the older ones with the square latches.

Why do you need another tray?

Message 3 of 10
vestry
Aspirant

Many thanks for the suggestion and that these trays are compatible, but this seems expensive (to me!) for just a single tray. It seems strange that Netgear makes these things but doesn't seem to stock parts. 

Message 4 of 10
vestry
Aspirant

Thanks - yes, but I don't seem to be able to find a tray with a square latch (or, in fact, a round one) at the moment. I need one because the 104 I got only came with 3 trays. I'm guessing when the old NAS units die the owners don't bother to sell off the parts.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@vestry wrote:

I need one because the 104 I got only came with 3 trays. I'm guessing when the old NAS units die the owners don't bother to sell off the parts.

More likely the previous owner sold one of the trays separately.  Since Netgear doesn't sell the trays separately they can be hard to come by.

All I can suggest is using bigger disks for now (so you have sufficient space), and keep looking for another tray.

Did your NAS also come with the screws needed to attach disks to the trays?  The diskless inserts won't work with disks that don't have the side center mounting hole.

Message 6 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, buying a whole NAS for the trays is a bit expensive.  But since they tend to go for $20 and up separately, you could try and sell off the ones you don't need and maybe even make a profit.

Unfortunately, many used NAS are sold off without the caddies.  The prior owners are too lazy to remove the drives from them before destroying the drives and don't realize how much this should devalue the NAS.  Unaware buyers don't realize how difficult they are to get, so don't take that devaluation into account when purchasing.

Message 7 of 10
vestry
Aspirant

Thanks for all the comments, folks. Isn't is strange Netgear don't sell spares, though? 

My existing trays are screwless fittings.

Larger disks may be the way round this (for now), but that leads to a different question: this blurb (https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/connected-storage/RN104.aspx) says up to 32TB storage for a 104. Is that to mean 4 x 8TB? Is there a limit of 8TB per slot? I see disks being marked as compatible with the 104 that are up to 16TB (https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List).

Message 8 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

The listed capacity of a ReadyNAS is based on the max size drive available when it came to market.  It's now bigger for your older 104 since larger drives are available.  There is no known limit for drive size in an OS6 NAS that's likely to be reached in your NAS's lifetime.  But the limited CPU and memory of a 104 could make it start to get bogged down with drives that are too large.

As for not selling caddies, it's not that unusual Netgear doesn't sell them directly, as they have no direct sales channel.  I don't know if they don't offer them to their resellers, or if the resellers just don't see a reason to stock them.

Message 9 of 10
vestry
Aspirant

OK, that's helpful, thank you. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements