× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 - can't connect SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION

Evil_Underlord
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 - can't connect SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION

ReadyNAS NV+ (I believe v2)

Firmware 4.1.6

Raidar 4.3.0

Connected via cable to router

Laptop with WiFI, Windows 10

This all previously worked fine, and I don't touch it very often.

More recently, I can no longer connect via Windows File Manager.

Trying to connect to the NAS local IP address via browser gives me an "SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION" error suggesting that browsers no longer support TLS 1.0 and 1.3.

I haven't tried connecting directly to the NAS, since I need to find an ethernet adapter for my laptop to do so.

The NAS still works fine - I use it primarily to play music - and Raidar finds it fine, but I can't connect to it.  Any thoughts on how to do so without a direct cable connection from my laptop?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v2 - can't connect SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION

@Evil_Underlord wrote:

Firmware 4.1.6

Although it might have a v2 label on it somewhere, it is a v1 NAS (using a sparc CPU).

V2 ReadyNAS run 5.3.x firmware, not 4.1.x

@Evil_Underlord wrote:

Trying to connect to the NAS local IP address via browser gives me an "SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION" error suggesting that browsers no longer support TLS 1.0

They do support TLS 1.2 and TLS 1.3, but dropped support for TLS 1.0.  Unfortunately, that is what the NAS uses.  You can find info on what to do about this here:

Basically, you can 

• use internet explorer
  • use Edge in IE mode
  • use an old version of firefox

Once in, you can modify virtual.conf to let you access the NAS using http (unencrypted, so not using TLS at all).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Evil_Underlord wrote:

Firmware 4.1.6

Although it might have a v2 label on it somewhere, it is a v1 NAS (using a sparc CPU).

V2 ReadyNAS run 5.3.x firmware, not 4.1.x

@Evil_Underlord wrote:

Trying to connect to the NAS local IP address via browser gives me an "SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION" error suggesting that browsers no longer support TLS 1.0

They do support TLS 1.2 and TLS 1.3, but dropped support for TLS 1.0.  Unfortunately, that is what the NAS uses.  You can find info on what to do about this here:

Basically, you can 

• use internet explorer
  • use Edge in IE mode
  • use an old version of firefox

Once in, you can modify virtual.conf to let you access the NAS using http (unencrypted, so not using TLS at all).

Message 2 of 4
Evil_Underlord
Aspirant

Thanks, this is great. I haven't gotten Edge/IE to work yet, but at worst, I can find my adapter, connect directly to the NAS, and fix the SSH access for the future.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Evil_Underlord wrote:

I can find my adapter, connect directly to the NAS, and fix the SSH access for the future.

Direct connect won't help.  This has nothing to do with wifi or ethernet.

If you do have ssh enabled (linux command line, it is not https), you can still use that, and make the virtual.conf change I posted in the other link with vi.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements