× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 2100 v1 motherboard replacement

ExactSys
Aspirant

Readynas 2100 v1 motherboard replacement

Is there anywhere i can purchase a replacement motherboard for the readynas 2100 v1?

I have two which are completely bricked and i was wondeirng if there is a known place i can buy a replacement. Any numbers on the board return nothing on google/ebay etc. All i can see is they are made by foxconn (no surprise there!).

If there is a place, can the v2 motherboard be installed instead of the v1 board so i can run OS6 on it?

Just for background, they were attempted to be upgraded to OS6 by a colleague of mine before realising these are 32bit and cannot take the upgrade. No data was lost as these are just spares in the office however we would like them up and running again now.

RAIDar does not detect the device with or without disks in it. USB boot does not work, USB light does not come on no matter which port is used. Tried multiple USB devices formatted every which way possible and still no USB light. Factory reset does not work, after booting with reset pin in and choosing HDD LED number 2 for factory reset then hitting reset button again, i can hear it boot but nothing happens even if i leave it for hours. RAIDar will not pick it up even if i change my device to the same subnet as the NAS used to be on and even if i try change it to the same as the NAS default IP. Took motherboard battery out as a last resort to see if it would reset anything, but no luck.

Due to the above, my only option is buy a new NAS or find a replacement motherboard. NETGEAR say they do not have spare motherboards for the NAS devices.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS RNRX4000|ReadyNAS 2100 Chassis only
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas 2100 v1 motherboard replacement

USB Boot Recovery is needed to fix this.

Most likely either the USB keys you’ve tried are incompatible or you aren’t creating the USB Boot Recovery key correctly or both.

You also need to make sure that you follow the correct procedure to boot off USB.

Message 2 of 10
ExactSys
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

I have followed the documents for creating a USB boot recovery key. Also i tried holding down the backup button for 15 seconds when booting up. Waited an hour nothing had happened, blue light still flashing away on the front and fans spinning loudly. I have held that button in for a good couple of minutes on boot still the same.

I was under the impression the USB light should at least light up when a USB key is in there regardless of what's actually on it. Either way it does not illuminate at any time (apart from start up in the light sequence so i know the light works!).

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@ExactSys wrote:

Also i tried holding down the backup button for 15 seconds when booting up.

The instructions say to hold down the reset button on rackmount units, not the backup button.  https://kb.netgear.com/30267/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool

Message 4 of 10
ExactSys
Aspirant

I tried that also, if you hold down the reset button on boot it lights up all the lights on the front and you can toggle through them which equate to a different boot. In the documentation none of those are 'USB boot'. I have tried factory default on this option, hear it reboot but after an hour nothing has happened. I thought perhaps to USB boot for the factory restore you hold the reset button down for 15 seconds or more on boot and then just leave it with all lights on. Once again after half hour of nothing happening i concluded it had not worked.

Message 5 of 10
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @ExactSys

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately there's no available replacement parts or board for the ReadyNAS System, Your best chance is to come upon a refurbished ReadyNAS 2100.

Regarding the USB Boot Recovery, how many USB keys have you tried using (You might need to try more)? For Rackmount models Reset button should be held before powering up the NAS.

If your USB drive has LED indicators once it is lit you should release the Reset button, NAS shutting down will inidicate that the recovery is succesful. Try powering off the NAS completely then holding the reset button before bringing back power.

USB Recovery guide

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 6 of 10
ExactSys
Aspirant

Hi @Marc_V

Out of interest if this OS6 non compatible NAS was attempted to be upgraded to OS6, what recovery media should I be using, as I have been uisng the 4.2 one. I think i may have tried OS6 as a long shot the other week but cannot confirm that.

I've tried 3 USB sticks, I'll bring in more from home and try them all! As the three i used did not light up the nas USB light or the USB light.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

OS-6 conversion needs to use some specialized firmware, you don't just use the USB recovery tools for that.   It also won't work on a 2100v1, because OS-6 requires a 64 bit architecture, and the 2100v1 is only 32 bit.

So you should be using the OS 4.2 USB recovery tools.  If you did attempt to convert to OS-6, then your problem now might be self-inflicted.  It might be very hard to undo the damage.

Message 8 of 10
ExactSys
Aspirant

@StephenB

Yes, as described above, a colleague of mine tried upgrading them, not knowing the v1 being 32bit cannot run 64bit OS6. That is the whole problem here, it is bricked due to the that process. I am running OS6 on a v2 absolutely fine.

The problem, which i will try with more USB sticks, is that the USB recovery tool (4.2) is not working as the NAS is not seeing the USB stick completely. I will bring in more USB sticks and try them all and see if i can get one working.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 10
egecko
Aspirant

@ExactSys wrote:

@StephenB

Yes, as described above, a colleague of mine tried upgrading them, not knowing the v1 being 32bit cannot run 64bit OS6. That is the whole problem here, it is bricked due to the that process. I am running OS6 on a v2 absolutely fine.

The problem, which i will try with more USB sticks, is that the USB recovery tool (4.2) is not working as the NAS is not seeing the USB stick completely. I will bring in more USB sticks and try them all and see if i can get one working.

Thanks.

Any update on getting it to work again?

Thanks.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements