× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Self encrypting drives RN214

Drraglenn
Aspirant

Self encrypting drives RN214

WD hus 726t6tale6l4. I’ve had two of these drives on my RN214 for several years and they have worked flawlessly. This drive is listed on the READYNAS 214 compatibility list. I recently decided to add another of these drives to my NAS. 1st replacement drive would not be recognized - assumed it was bad so exchanged.
2nd drive was recognized by NAS but when trying to setup xraid volume got a volume creation error. Removed the new drive and volume creation is progressing as normal - not completed as yet.
New drive was also not recognized on win10 pc usb dock nor by WD drive tools.
Maybe I got two bad drives? Seems unusual. OR could it be the self encryption feature of the new drive? I don’t recall if this was a feature of my two earlier identical drives.
Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Self encrypting drives RN214

True self-encrypting drives (SED) need support by the BIOS or another intermediate level, allowing to transparently or interactively unlock the storage blocks before these will be accessible.

Message 2 of 4
Drraglenn
Aspirant

Thanks. I guess that’s my problem. Maybe Netgear should update the compatibility list :).
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

According to the Data Sheet: Ultrastar DC HC310 the previously installed WD HUS726T6TALE6L4 isn't an SED.

if the new ones are e.g. WD HUS726T6TALE6L1 this is an SED model, Self Encrypting Drive, TCG-Enterprise and Sanitize Crypto, Scramble / Erase.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements