× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readynasduo RND2000 V2

corkscrew22
Aspirant

readynasduo RND2000 V2

Hi my readynasduo has two 1 x TB hdd fitted and was working perfectly. I had a sudden power outage and now it will not start up. It just has a flashing blue light.

I tried the factory reset by pushing and holding the reset button while powering on. Now the blue light flashes much slower and one of the two  green LED's is on (the other is not on).

What to do?

Model: RND2000v2 (ReadyNAS Duo v2)|READYNAS DUO v2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@corkscrew22 wrote:

I do have a UPS which as a power strip connected to it, which in turn I connect my sensitive network equipment to the NAS being one of them, I guess because the NAS shares the UPS i cannot take advantage of the NAS ups feature.

If the UPS has a usb connector, you can connect it to the NAS usb port, and see if it is detected.  The NAS isn't controlling the UPS, instead it is monitoring it, and choosing when it should shut itself down.  So it will not interfere with your other equipment being protected by it.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Let's start by determining if you really have a Duo V2, because AFAIK, all the LEDs on a V2 are blue.  Does it say "Duo V2" on the front panel?  If it does not, regardless of what may be on one of the stickers on the unit, it's a V1.

It sounds like you are in the boot menu and it's waiting for you to make a selection via the backup button.  But you need to be sure which unit type you have, because the instructions are a bit different for each.

Also, install RAIDar on a PC/Mac and find out what status it's reporting.  Then power off, remove the drives (marking them so they go back in the right places) and try again.  Come back with those results and we can try and help you interpret them.

Message 2 of 12
corkscrew22
Aspirant

Hi

first some info I forgot to put in first post.

• The unit will not power down with the power button I have to pull the cord.
  • I am running Linux mint and access the NAS using NFS and web interface.
  • At the time of first post no network access at all

To answer your question re model there is no ID on the front only a large sticker on the bottom stating its a readynasduo RND2000 V2.

I have managed to succesfully perfom factory reset now this time i let go of the buttons immediatley afterthe second set of 2 green lights blinking.

so the sequence was

• after reset 2 green lights after 8 secs, then 2 green lights after 28 secs.
  • followed by slow blinking blue light with rapid flashing of disk activity light. After 15mins or so the blue light went solid.
  • Then with rapid flashing of disk activity light still going hdd 1 light went solid green, hdd 2 light rapid green flashing 
  • after about 1 hour the lights all went to normal i was able to shut it down and restart normally again.

So now  I have a few questions remaining

1. How can I tell conclusvely what model this is? I have searched through all the web interface pages system info etc but can find nothing. The firmware version is Radiator 4.1.14 does this tell us?
  2. Do you have any idea what might of gone wrong with the power outage ? obviousley I have lost acces to my data (although I see the disk space is still used) but the shares I set up have gone

Regards

Model: RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 3 of 12
corkscrew22
Aspirant

Selection_217.png

Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@corkscrew22 wrote:

To answer your question re model there is no ID on the front 

There is.  @Sandshark is talking about this:Duo.png

The circled part says "ReadyNAS Duo" on the original v1, but it says "ReadyNAS Duo v2" on the v2 model.  However, we can also tell from the firmware - The v1 runs 4.1.x, and the v2 runs 5.3.x.  So you have the original Duo (called a v1 here). The "v2" label on the back means it is "hardware revision v2 of the Duo v1".  Very confusing branding on Netgear's part, and I'm sure support has been very unhappy about that for a very long time.

BTW, the firmware isn't the final release, that was 4.1.16.

@corkscrew22 wrote: Do you have any idea what might of gone wrong with the power outage ? obviousley I have lost acces to my data (although I see the disk space is still used) but the shares I set up have gone

Generally speaking, the problem is caused by lost writes (which were cached, but never written to the disk).  That can lead to a corrupted volume that can't be mounted.  I always recommend connecting a UPS to the NAS to prevent this - the UPS ensures that the NAS can shut down cleanly when the power fails.  FWIW, I once lost a volume on my own Duo due to an unexpected power loss.  That triggered my investment in UPS.

I think there was a good chance we could have recovered the data if you hadn't done the reset, but it's hard to say for sure.  RAID Recovery software (perhaps R-linux for Windows) might still be able to find it.  But if you want to try that, then power down the NAS, as the more disk writes that happen, the more unlikely recovery is.

If you did a factory default (and it sounds like you did), then the disk space isn't used, and the data is gone. The disks are formatted as part of the process. There is some space usage that shows up in Frontview, but that isn't real - it's reserved by the NAS.  If I recall correctly, it will show about 20 GB of used space after setup completes.  Your setup screen is showing 0% used.

Message 5 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

That is a Duo V1.  Netgear originally used a "v1" or "v2" on the stickers to indicate minor board version differences on the Duo and NV+.  They then created an entirely different line and re-used the "V2" designation -- creating a lot of confusion.  The "real" V2 hardware and OS are entirely different from the V1, and they are in no way interchangeable.

So, you have likely been following the wrong instructions for using your NAS.  But the screen grab you posted is of what appears to be a completely healthy Duo V1 with a volume just created.  Did you re-install the firmware (which retains the volume), or do a factory reset (which wipes the drives)?

Message 6 of 12
corkscrew22
Aspirant

thanks that clears up the version issue and thanks for the tip on the firmware maybe I will update but read on....

The NAS is not allowing share access I dont understand what has gone wrong below are the steps I followed.

Prior to this power outage everything worked perfectly I was using the NAS as storage for TV shows , videos and music. I could access all from my raspberry pi using kodi, also access with my nvidia shield using kodie to stream from the NAS. Both used NFS to access the NAS with no issue at all. My desktop PC running Linux Mint 20.1 I used to transfer files to the NAS from the file manager.

Tha NAS shares were mounted by way of fstab in the desktop and the Raspbery Pi.

Now the NAS shares will not mount at all and i repeated the exact same steps before the power outage.

The steps I have taken are as followsFactory reset
Access NAS via web interface deleted the default shares
Manually set up a share using NFS (screen shots attached of the NFS settings)
edit fstab on desktop to the same as when it was working previousley

nas1.pngnas2.pngnas3.pngnas4.png

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Did you have any user accounts set up on the NAS before?  I'm wondering if you previously set the owner/group and perhaps some other info in advanced options. 

Did you try using showmount on the clients (as root)?

# showmount -e nas-ip-address

If you are using the NAS name in the mounts, you might try using the IP address instead. 

Message 8 of 12
corkscrew22
Aspirant

I would of thought that a factory reset would of deleted any users or permisssions. I am using ip to mount the share

fstab entry using ip address
192.168.2.9:/TV /media/NASduo/NASTV nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.mount-timeout=10s,

I havent changed anything and bizarrley it just started working again....so fingers crossed below are my nfs settings

nas5.pngnas6.png

Should i upgrade the firmware?

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@corkscrew22 wrote:

I would of thought that a factory reset would of deleted any users or permisssions.

It reformats the disks, and then reinstalls the OS, so everything goes back to the defaults.

@corkscrew22 wrote:

Should i upgrade the firmware?

I would - I don't think there are any bug fixes, but there were some security updates that it would be good to have.

@corkscrew22 wrote:

192.168.2.9:/TV /media/NASduo/NASTV nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.mount-timeout=10s,

I havent changed anything and bizarrley it just started working again

It's conceivable that the 10s timeout might have kicked in.  

Do you have spindown enabled?

Was the NAS under heavier load when you first tried the mount (perhaps still resyncing)

Message 10 of 12
corkscrew22
Aspirant

No I did not have spin down enabled to be honest i did not know it existed, i also found the options to power down at set times so i can set it up to power down during the night. In my part of the world power outages are common place.

I do have a UPS which as a power strip connected to it, which in turn I connect my sensitive network equipment to the NAS being one of them, I guess because the NAS shares the UPS i cannot take advantage of the NAS ups feature.

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@corkscrew22 wrote:

If the UPS has a usb connector, you can connect it to the NAS usb port, and see if it is detected.  The NAS isn't controlling the UPS, instead it is monitoring it, and choosing when it should shut itself down.  So it will not interfere with your other equipment being protected by it.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements