× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 2286 views
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Reply
Highlighted
Guide

Enable Remote Mgmt Error

I am trying to enable Remote Management from the Nighthawk app and I'm receiving an error that says:

 

"Some error occurred while enabling/disabling remote managemnt" 

 

I've rebooted, updated firmware etc. The Nighthawk app will not allow me to enable remote management.

 

 

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 28
Highlighted

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error


@krb454 wrote:

I am trying to enable Remote Management from the Nighthawk app and I'm receiving an error that says:

 


Have you enabled Remote Management on the R8000P?

 

There is support for the R8000P, including a manual and firmware, somewhere at the end of this link:

 

>>>> R8000P | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

 

See the section Set Up Remote Management.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 28
Highlighted
Guide

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error

If you are referring to the Remote Management setting through the web interface. Yes.It is enabled.

Message 3 of 28
Highlighted

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error

I am referring to the bit in my message.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 28
Highlighted
Guide

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error

Yes - remote management is enabled through the web interface as outlined in the documentation that you sent. It has been enabled all along. The issue I am having is enabling Remote Management through the Nighthawk mobile app. 

Message 5 of 28
Highlighted

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error


@krb454 wrote:

I am having is enabling Remote Management through the Nighthawk mobile app. 


Which one?

 

Android? iThing?

 

You don't enable remote management on the app. You enable it on the device and then connect with remote management on the app.

 

What are you doing and where does it go wrong?

 

Where do you see this error?

 

"Some error occurred while enabling/disabling remote management" 

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 28
Highlighted
Guide

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error

iPhone.

Nighthawk app - open app while connected to router lan.

 

Click Home icon top left >> Settings >> Remote Management  >> Enable Remote Management 

 

When I attempt to toggle that switch on - a few seconds later I get the non-descript error message I posted originally:

 

"Some error occurred while enabling/disabling remote management" 

 

 

Message 7 of 28
Highlighted

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error


@krb454 wrote:

iPhone.

Nighthawk app - open app while connected to router lan.

 

Click Home icon top left >> Settings >> Remote Management  >> Enable Remote Management 

 


 

Why are you trying to do that?

 

You have already enabled Remote Management through the graphical user interface (GUI).

 

You won't see remote management on the router LAN. You are not "remote".

 

To connect with remote management, use your login details for mynetgear, the ones you used when setting up Remote Management through the GUI.

 

Do not login with use the details for local access to the GUI.

 

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 28
Highlighted
Guide

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error

Thanks but I don't think you get it. I want to be able to access my router remotely from the Nighthawk iPhone app. I have multiple Nighthawk routers that I can do this from (same model) - for some reason isn't working on this one. You don't seem to grasp what  I'm asking - so hopefully someone else can.

Message 9 of 28
Highlighted

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error


@krb454 wrote:

Thanks but I don't think you get it.

 


Spot on there.

 


@krb454 wrote:

I have multiple Nighthawk routers that I can do this from (same model) - for some reason isn't working on this one.


 

Perhaps you could provide any other essential information that you have previously kept secret. People can provide answers only if they know exactly what is going on at your end.

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 10 of 28
Highlighted
Guide

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error

No secrets. I thought I spelled it all out - especially in post number 7. I know I'm not the only one having the same issue as it seems there are others that have posted similar threads. Copying my response from post 7 again:

 

iPhone.

Nighthawk app - open app while connected to router lan.

 

Click Home icon top left >> Settings >> Remote Management  >> Enable Remote Management 

 

When I attempt to toggle that switch on - a few seconds later I get the non-descript error message I posted originally:

 

"Some error occurred while enabling/disabling remote management" 

Message 11 of 28
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error

Hey Kudos,

You get it resolved?

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 12 of 28
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error

Were you able to resolve this issue?

 

I am having the exact same issue with the Orbi SRR60.  Remote management is enabled in the web browser, iPhone app give the same error you cite.  

 

A friend of mine recently got an Orbi setup and his remote managment wokrs via the app.  He said he didn't have to do anything, it just worked. 

 

 

 

 

Message 13 of 28
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error


@su66s wrote:

I am having the exact same issue with the Orbi SRR60.  Remote management is enabled in the web browser, ...


The App based Remote administration does not require the Remote Management enabled (which does expose the Web UI to the Internet) in the Web UI.


Message 14 of 28
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error

Thank you confirming.  That appears to be the consensus in all the threads I've come accross.

 

So, what this the reason the mobile app cannot Enable Remote Management?  Nobody seems to be able to explain the fix for this. 

Message 15 of 28
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error


@su66s wrote:

So, what this the reason the mobile app cannot Enable Remote Management?  Nobody seems to be able to explain the fix for this. 


Your Orbi system with the SRR60 does operate in router or access point mode?

 

Leaving the problem Netgear had with the remote management cloud infrastructure few days ago, some ISP or 3rd party DNS "filters" can cause issues by blocking domains required for these features.  

Message 16 of 28
Highlighted

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error


@su66s wrote:

 

So, what this the reason the mobile app cannot Enable Remote Management?  Nobody seems to be able to explain the fix for this. 


You have joined in on a conversation about a Nighthawk router. You own an Orbi router.

 

It is not, as claimed in your earlier message, "the exact same issue".

 

Oh, and contrary to what you have been told already, the manual for the Orbi system insists that you do, indeed, have to use the browser graphical user interface (GUI) to enable remote management. I assume that you have read the bit in the manual Set Up Remote Management.

 

If you need more help, you might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device:


Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

If you think about it logically, using an app to enable remote management is a security risk. It wouldn't be easy, but an outsider who has no access to your local network could, in theory, hack into your system and take over your network without you knowing about it. After all, these things come out of the box with the same default password for the GUI.

 

I cannot see why the person who first raised this issue expects to use an app to enable remote management. Access yes, but never enable.

 

As the Orbi manual says: "You can use the genie app to remotely access your router and change its settings."

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 17 of 28
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error

 @schumaku

 SRR is in Router model, SRC is satellite. 

Message 18 of 28
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error

@michaelkenward 

Seems you take issue with my post, critisizing me over semantics.  Suppose I'm not welcome here and will have to look elsewhere for help in the future. 

Message 19 of 28
Highlighted

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error


@su66s wrote:

 @schumaku

 SRR is in Router model, SRC is satellite. 


To avoid any confusion, SRR is indeed a router. SRS usually means satellite. SRC is the one and only Orbi Pro Ceiling Satellite, SRC60.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 20 of 28
Highlighted

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error


@su66s wrote:

@michaelkenward 

Seems you take issue with my post, critisizing me over semantics.  Suppose I'm not welcome here and will have to look elsewhere for help in the future. 


Not at all. But it is important to get these things right for the benefit of everyone.

 

For example, we really don't want people wasting time trying to find the bit in an app where they can "enable" remote access. It doesn't exist.

 

Issues that crop up here are often down to misunderstandings about the terms people use. 

 

For example, you did not answer the question @schumaku on the "access point mode". I admit that it was phrased a bit oddly. Another way to put it is "Have you put your SRR60 in access point (AP) mode?"

 

Well, you did answer, but not in a way that makes sense. Telling us that "SRC is satellite" just adds the confusion.

 

The reason for asking this is that if you do put the SRR60 into AP mode it does not allow you to use the GUI to turn remote access off and on. That is because AP mode disables various things that require the thing to work as a router. For example, you can't get into "Port Forwarding / Port Triggering".

 

The usual reason for using AP mode is that you want to use your SRR60 alongside another router.

 

By the way, the SRR60 isn't your usual bog standard Orbi router. It is a Pro device that usually comes in the SRK60 bundle along with the SRS60 satellite.

 

On which, I may have led you astray earlier with a point to the Orbi bit of this community. I should have pointed you to a different section:

 

Orbi Pro - WiFi for Small Business - NETGEAR Communities 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 21 of 28
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error

@su66s don't worry to much - even Netgear seems to have a lot of confusion. Once upon a time, they had a clear differentiation between remote access and remote management. Nowadays Netgear is using these terms are mixed all over as in the Orbi Pro User Manual - Models SRR60 SRS60 (p.109 Set Up Remote Management  and for using it p.110 "Use Remote Access " ... that is as a direct Web browser connection to the public IP address - and not applicable to the App based Remote management) or  How do I enable or disable remote access on my Orbi router?  (of course, by enabling Remote Management, and for using "Connect with Remote Management" in the App).

 

This does bring me to the next question - again confusing. We're discussing here Orbi Pro under the Nighthawk App topic (because of a lot of technology is similar). For generic consumer Obri systems, the Orbi App section would be more appropriate. But in your case, it's about an Orbi Pro which is to be used with the Insight App. Is this the App you are using?

 

PS. @michaelkenward do you have some better channels to bring the awarenes on this mess into Netgear? My words (sigh, not always very polite, and not a native English poet) are unheard. 

Message 22 of 28
Highlighted

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error


@schumaku wrote:

PS. @michaelkenward do you have some better channels to bring the awarenes on this mess into Netgear? My words (sigh, not always very polite, and not a native English poet) are unheard. 


I can try, but as you say this is a mess.

 

It is easy to see how punters can get confused with terminology, but if Netgear can't get it right internally what hope is there for the rest of us?

 

Then  there is the confusion that you mention in where to post here. It took me a time to realise that we were talking about an Orbi Pro device here.

 

But as I said earlier on, it doesn't help when someone drops an Orbi problem into the Nighthawk App zone. Nighthawk apps don't work on Orbis. That's not semantics. Its logic.

 

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 23 of 28
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error


@michaelkenward wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

PS. @michaelkenward do you have some better channels to bring the awarenes on this mess into Netgear? My words (sigh, not always very polite, and not a native English poet) are unheard. 


I can try, but as you say this is a mess.


Once upon a time, Negear had it perfeclty right:

 

Message 24 of 28
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Enable Remote Mgmt Error

@schumaku 

Thank you for pointing out that the Orbi Pro needs to use a different app.  I've installed it and it seems to be what I was after.  

 

@michaelkenward 

I searched for my issue, this thread came up, so I simply asked the OP if he was able to solve his issue because it sounded like what I've been experiencing.  Was not my intention to pollute your forum.    I'm not an IT person, just a user that was looking for a point in the right direction.  No need to go all Nick Burns.  

 

 

 

 

Message 25 of 28