Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Loss of internet after enabling Circle by Disney on R7000

PD72
Follower

Loss of internet after enabling Circle by Disney on R7000

I enabled Circle by Disney on the R7000 but then started experiencing internet dropouts.   I have rebooted the router and the problem goes away for about an hour before dropping the internet again.

I have to turn the router off then on again before we can get the internet to work. When the problem occurs I'm also unable to login to the router.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 18
Inquisitor
Aspirant

Re: Loss of internet after enabling Circle by Disney on R7000

Similar problem - Circle setup is confusing - limited to Android or iPhone App with poor documentation.   Tried it anyway last night and it seemed to be working OK.  Woke up with total internet failure on WIFI side,  was unable to connect to the router or even ping the router from WIFI.  DHCP wasn't working on WIFI.  

Fix: Connect using wired connection to router.  Disabled Circle then reboot router.  Your WIFI should be restored.  At least that worked for me.

I'll try Circle again later today or tomorrow and see if it is a bug, or hopefully just my user error.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 18
juched
Apprentice

Similar issues with Circle I think here.

How does Open DNS work?  I turned it on, but nothing.  Do I need to reboot the router to get the DNS changes to propegate?

Message 3 of 18
juched
Apprentice

So circle causes internet slowdown and internet dropping. Just disabling circle brings back full speed and no reboot needed.

OpenDNS doesn’t work consistently, partially it seems because my devices use ipv6 which they don’t provide web filtering for and secondly since custom filtering levels doesn’t work and you just get basic.

Frustrated. May need to go back to tomato and my script to map OpenDNS to certain devices by MAC address.

Hope they can fix circle. I like how it works in theory better.
Message 4 of 18
drubixcube
Aspirant

I have been using Circle for the last few months and too have been having the loss of internet problem.  For me it doesn't happen daily, but at least weekly. First I started to reboot my cable modem and router, then just the router, and now just a disable/re-enable Circle (via the router admin pages) only takes a few moments, but a hassle. Next time I will try via the Circle App.  From the LAN then from the WAN and see if I can do this remotely. 

I am on the lastest version of the firmware and this is the version info from the circle page:

Agent Version: 2.0.6.3 
App Database Version: 1.2.4

Netgear are you listening?  This is a freeium service and if the basic version is buggy, what makes you think I will upgrade to the paid version.....

Message 5 of 18
juched
Apprentice

Just upgraded to 1.0.9.14. Will see if it operates better. Same build of circle inside.
Message 6 of 18
juched
Apprentice

Firmware 1.0.9.18 has circle agent 2.0.7.8, so that was updated.
Message 7 of 18
juched
Apprentice

Same thing with this firmware. Circle causes internet to slow down and eventually stall.
Message 8 of 18
dennisjm
Tutor

I just had my first incident of having to disable then re-enable Circle after serveral days of usage.  Symptoms are some websites still work and others stop working.

Cause is that DNS resolution stops working.

We just got this router for the soul purpose of having some parental controls and Circle seemed like a good choice but I can't say impressed with it so far.  Features are OK but if I have to restart it every few days I'm going to have to come up with something else.

Circle info:

Agent Version: 2.0.8.0
App Database Version: 1.2.4

Router Version: V1.3.1.26_10.1.3

R7000P AC2300 Nighthawk

Message 9 of 18
juched
Apprentice

Do you have IPv6 enabled? Try turning it off. That made it stable for me.

Circle doesnt support IPv6 anyways, i have switched to a real circle device and it just down converts IPv6 requests to IPv4 ones anyways.
Message 10 of 18
dennisjm
Tutor

I"m afraid no, ipv6 hasn't ever been enabled.

Message 11 of 18
dennisjm
Tutor

Here we are a couple days later.  Time's up for stable use. Had to turn circle off then back on again.  Same problem.  DNS resolutions stops working.

Message 12 of 18
amorey
Initiate

I have similiar issues since enabling Circle.

I have tried Circle in the past and had grief. 

Need to enable again to control the kids access and unhappy to report that previous issues still exist.

Message 13 of 18
dennisjm
Tutor

I haven't had the issue "yet" on the latest firmware.  Been running V1.3.1.44_10.1.23 for a week or so.

Before that I was able to run a previous version of the firmware without issue.

1.3.0.20 -> I ran this for a number of months without issue.

1.3.1.26 -> is the version that kept needing a reboot to restore internet activity w/ circle enabled.

Message 14 of 18
hijik
Aspirant

I also have been having this issue with no know resolution

DNS routing for managed devices only

to temporary resolve the isssue is to turn off the Disney Circle off and turn it on again.

Downgrading the firmware to  V1.3.1.26_10.1.3 on the Nighthawk R7000P did resolve the issue of the feature turning off on reboot - Known issue with the later firmwre confirmed by netgear support

It did not fix the DNS issue

Still Looking for a resolution

Message 15 of 18
Beykeysr
Aspirant

Have you been having good luck after using the separate circle device?
Message 16 of 18
hijik
Aspirant

we use the feature which is imbedded into the router -not a seperate device 

Message 17 of 18
EdwardTeach
Aspirant

I gave up and switched back to opendns (and started using Qustodio again). Voila, no more problems.  Very disappointing. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7