Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR Genie App: Changing Device Name & Type

dluhop
Aspirant

NETGEAR Genie App: Changing Device Name & Type

I have entered the wrong network device name and type for my iPhone as it appears on the Mobile Genie network map.  I can't change them while my phone is active.  I don't see any edit capability.  I must be missing something.  Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: NETGEAR Genie App: Changing Device Name & Type

Hi @dluhop,

Editing the name for iOS devices cannot be done through the NETGEAR Genie. It recognizes the name that you have created for it through the device itself. You may modify it by going to Settings > General > About > Name.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dluhop,

You should be able to make those changes for the connected device even while it is actively connected through the Network Map on the NETGEAR Genie either on the mobile application or desktop client. Just select the device and select "Modify" and you should be able to make the modifications.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 9
dluhop
Aspirant

Dexter, the desktop client shows the correct device name and type for my iPhone.  On my iPhone, itself, the “modify” option does not appear when I click on the iPhone icon that is labelled incorrectly.  Only those devices that have blue lines can be modified.  Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I hope you can understand what I’m talking about.

Message 3 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dluhop,

I suggest uninstalling the application and reinstall it. You should be able to modify that through the iOS application itself.

Rgeards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 9
dluhop
Aspirant

That sort-of worked.  I still can't edit the device name.  But, it did update the type properly.

Message 5 of 9
netwrks
Master

If you long press on the device on the iphone, is there an edit function that shows up?

Message 6 of 9
dluhop
Aspirant

A long press on the device icon didn't do anything.

Message 7 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dluhop,

Editing the name for iOS devices cannot be done through the NETGEAR Genie. It recognizes the name that you have created for it through the device itself. You may modify it by going to Settings > General > About > Name.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 9
dluhop
Aspirant

Dexter, you have solved the problem - case closed.  Thank you!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7