Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Genie windows 8

blueboy320
Follower

Netgear Genie windows 8

I'm running network Genie 2.2.27.1
WNDR4500 V1.0.1.20
However network Genie does not appear to be compatible with windows 8, it says the internet is off line but, it appears to work normally. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix or patch.

Message 1 of 6
Aurora420
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Genie windows 8

No problems with Genie (same version) here on Win8, using WNDA4100 adapter. Does the "Internet Offline" only appear for a short time, or does it always say that for you?

http://i.imgur.com/lBxK0.png

http://i.imgur.com/CLRTD.png

You may or may not have to enable .Net Framework 3.5 (I already had it enabled before testing this for you, due to an issue with installing inSSIDer)

Here’s how to enable it:

1. Copy sxs folder from your install ISO to the root of C: drive (not sure why this can’t be done with the contents of Winsxs folder... maybe it can?)
2. Run the following command from an elevated command prompt (CMD Admin):
dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:C:\sxs /LimitAccess

Main reference:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443.aspx

Secondary (note - incorrect syntax in their suggested command! Missing : between source and C)
http://blogs.technet.com/b/aviraj/archive/2012/08/04/windows-8-enable-net-framework-3-5-includes-net...

I would uninstall genie, then reboot and enable .Net 3.5 as shown above, then reboot and install Genie again and see if that helps.
Message 2 of 6
TheBigCheese
Aspirant

I followed these instructions and I still get "disconnected" after about 30 seconds. My router is WNDR3700V2 and Netgear only supports V3 so I may be SOL. This did work until the latest "update"
Message 3 of 6
Aurora420
Aspirant

Sorry to hear you are still having this issue! Does it reconnect after that? Are you using Genie to actually connect, or are you using windows WZC? If you are using windows, and don't need Genie for anything else, it's not required to even be installed, so you don't have to use it unless you want to.

What do you mean NETGEAR only supports v3? Version doesn't really matter with Genie, well I guess it might with something super old, but what you have shouldn't be unsupported with the software as I've used it with a much old router before I think (WNR1000v2). And the above test was done with an unreleased router too, so it's probably not in the support list yet either.

What you can do since you mention it used to work before an update, is roll back to that previous version of firmware or software and use it instead, especially if it was working for you an no problems otherwise. Then wait to update until the next time around and see if that one works properly.

I did note the issue you mention, sometimes in the past, but it normally would only show up when you first open Genie and then it would reconnect and stay connected. And it didn't always happen either, so it was hard for me to get them to be able to replicate to fix it. I do know what you are seeing though so you're not crazy! 🙂

Ohh also, I found during further testing last night, on a clean install of Win8, Genie does not require the above mentioned .NET 3.5! Just mentioned in case that was why it worked for me, but later found that isn't needed.

There's probably just some issue with that version firmware or Genie, and the router model, hopefully it will get fixed in the future! I'm not sure how closely the engineers watch these forums? So you may want to send in an email to them about this so they're aware of the issue, include the firmware and software versions you are using, and also include what firmware and software versions that it used to work properly with in the past.
Message 4 of 6
TheBigCheese
Aspirant

Thank you, I tried sending emails to support but they have no idea what Genie is and tried telling me I needed to install a print driver on my iPad!!! and attach the printer to my router!!! Now they want me to contact Apple to fix the issue!!! They refuse to escalate the issue to someone who knows Genie.
Message 5 of 6
divakar89
Aspirant

I am using Netgear Router from last three years and usually I seek internet for help. I work for online gaming sites like Freedom APK and Hungry Shark Mod APK and many more I can discuss.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7