Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk RAX120

redonaldson
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk RAX120

I have three Nighthawk routers at different locations. Recently my ability to remotely access and perform management and rebooting stopped. Can anyone help with what I might do to regain that feature?

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk

What 3 routers do you have? 

Is this thru the Nighthawk app? 

Message 2 of 9
redonaldson
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Nighthawk RAX 120

All three are RAX 120 Routers on 400 MBPS connections. All three worked great with Remote until a few weeks ago and something changed and cut Remote off on all three routers. I can access the router via the app when I am on that network. One is 35 mile from home and one is 15 miles from home - quite inconvenient when issues arise.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this thru the Nighthawk app? 

What version of the app are you using? 

Is there a screen capture of what you see that you can post here? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do you know if these 120s are v1s or v2s? 

Message 4 of 9

Re: Netgear Nighthawk RAX120

@redonaldson wrote:

All three are RAX 120 Routers on 400 MBPS connections. All three worked great with Remote until a few weeks ago and something changed and cut Remote off on all three routers.

By "remote" do you mean Anywhere Access?

Other remote options are disappearing as Netgear blocks seemingly unsafe ways in.

Why is the Remote Management feature being removed from NETGEAR routers? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 5 of 9
redonaldson
Aspirant

Yes - Anywhere access.

Message 6 of 9
redonaldson
Aspirant

I cannot see the firmware version. The problem started with the last firm wear version update. I checked earlier this week and "Update Firmware" showed no newer version at this time.

2 are V1s and 1 is a V2

The app is the current one on Apple App Store

I am not at any of the locations of the routers now. Again two of these have worked flawlessly for 18 to 24 months(1 v1 and the v2) The other v1 I moved a year ago and it worked at the new location for the past 12 months.

The problem arose with the installation of the last firmware update.

Message 7 of 9

@redonaldson wrote:

I cannot see the firmware version. The problem started with the last firm wear version update. I checked earlier this week and "Update Firmware" showed no newer version at this time.

That is not a reliable test.

There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the app or the browser interface.

The preferred option is a manual update.

Download the firmware from the support section  and update it yourself

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Check the section in the manual on updating the firmware.

or

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

v1.2.8.40 ?

@redonaldson wrote:

2 are V1s and 1 is a V2

The app is the current one on Apple App Store

I am not at any of the locations of the routers now. Again two of these have worked flawlessly for 18 to 24 months(1 v1 and the v2) The other v1 I moved a year ago and it worked at the new location for the past 12 months.

The problem arose with the installation of the last firmware update.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7