Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear genie support

levince107
Follower

Netgear genie support

Hi everybody

I've just bought the netgear Nighthawk R7000

All works fine but when I click on parental control, I land on a web page where I have to dowload Netgear Genie. When I install netgear genie on my windows 8.1 computer. I have the message "Checking router Firmware" ... It looks like you might not be connected to a supported netgear router.

I've made I firmware update to V1.0.3.80_1.1.38 and still have the same problem.

1. I want to use parental control for a unique mac address. Is this possible ?
2. What's the difference between the dowloaded netgear genie and the security build in the router

I've a BBox 3 from Belgacom as modem and my netgear router is connected via an ethernet cable. Wifi on bbox is down and wifi onnetgear is up.

bbox = 182.168.1.1
netgear = 192.168.1.2

Need help please

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
covillen1
Apprentice

Re: Netgear genie support

Hey levince107,

Hey try this, use the genie and click on the parental controls option. When you get to the page look in the lower right hand corner, there should be a refresh option, click that and see if it allows you to continue on.

Also you can log into your router by using 192.168.1.1 and entering the user name and password. From there try going to the parental controls and try accessing it from there.

And to answer your question I think the genie is more for managing the wireless side of your network such your password , parental controls, viewing devices connected and data traffic on your network and the secure log in ( 192.168.1.1 ) has more to do with the routers internal settings like IP address and sub-net mask, blocking devices, and things of that nature. Let me know if you continue to have trouble. Or if it worked for that matter. lol
Message 2 of 11
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Did you set the R7000 to AP mode? I have noticed that the IP address is in range with your modem which is bbox. I think the modem is managing the DHCP that is why the genie is detecting the modem as the main router and providing you the error "t looks like you might not be connected to a supported netgear router".
Message 3 of 11
000_00_00
Aspirant

Hello! I couldn't find a forum fully dedicated to Netgear Genie, this seems to be a closest one. I'm using Genie app on my iMac 2012 (to add AirPrint support to my computer, and it works well). I'm trying to disable an annoying popup message on my mac asking me to allow to firewall incoming connections each time after program starts. I have checked firewall settings, Netgear Genie is among other programs in white list (marked with a green bullet), but popup appears and appears. Is there some solution of this issue? Thank you for your assistance in advance.
Message 4 of 11
covillen1
Apprentice

After checking the box or giving the needed programs permissions did you restart your computer:confused:? Some permissions don't take effect until after you restart your computer.
Message 5 of 11
Titeuf99
Aspirant

Hi covillen,

did you find a solution. I have got exactly the same issue (Belgacom + R7000).

Thanks in advance.

Titeuf.
Message 6 of 11
fax
Aspirant
Aspirant

Disable PPPoE in your BBOX3 and login to belgacom via your Netgear router. Set NETGEAR on another range e.g. 192.168.0.1 and not 1.1.

Any better?
Message 7 of 11
fax
Aspirant
Aspirant

Otherwise you could also disable DHCP in belgacom BBOX3 and keep the default IPs range in NETGEAR (192.168.1.0/255.255....) but then if, for what ever reasons, you need to login again to your BBOX then you need to reset it.

I give as granted that WIFI in BBOX3 is OFF. When everything is setup correctly you will see three green lights in BBOX3. One is the power, one is related to DSL and the last linked to your R7000 attached to the BBOX. If you seem more than you are not in an ideal setup

Cheers,
Fax
Message 8 of 11
covillen1
Apprentice

Titeuf99 wrote:
did you find a solution. I have got exactly the same issue (Belgacom + R7000).
IDK I was waiting to see if levince107 would response back with a yes or no answer. The solution I posted worked for me.
Message 9 of 11
Titeuf99
Aspirant

Hi,

The solution given by "fax" solved my problem.

I now use the net gear router to make the Internet connection. He bbox is then bridged.

Thanks.

T.
Message 10 of 11
fax
Aspirant
Aspirant

Glad to hear it is working now 🙂

Cheers,
Fax
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors