Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MS60 Amber Lights on All 3 Satellites, Blue Light on MR60. Satellites Have Internet.

MS60 Amber Lights on All 3 Satellites, Blue Light on MR60. Satellites Have Internet.

We left for a short weekend getaway to find our internet was not working. We unplugged/plugged the modem and MR60 router and those fired up and worked just fine. I noticed two of the satellites had amber lights and the other had a flashing white light that would not stop or change pace.....just a continuous steady white flash even after numerous resets.

I called Netgear support and of course, only having the system just over a year it is out of warranty. They offered to help me free of charge, but if they were able to fix my problem, I would then have to purchase a 3 month support contract?! Whatever, so I agreed. Long story short, after many cookie cutter procedures to isolate the problem it turns out one of my satellites is bricked (the one blinking white). I asked the support tech what can be done. He said replace it. Got it. He was not able to help me with the amber lights on the other 2 units, although, even amber, were delivering internet on their wired connections. He told me that he suspected the satellites would eventually change back to blue as they are in working order, but that was only a hopeful wish. None of the satellites show up on the app anymore either. They do however show up on the web page. He said he would check back in a couple days to see if everything is back to normal after I did not agree the issues were resolved as he still tried to sell me the contract. Nice enough guy, but my issues were not resolved and he still tried to sell me this support contract. I am beginning to think Netgear is heading in the wrong direction here. 

Also, I spent 4 hours today, fixing the satellite the technician told me to replace. I used a guide posted by "Stocker" here on the forum. I re-flashed the bricked unit with the same firmware as the other two and wow, a working satellite, and $130 in savings. At this point the support contract is a total joke. Nice enough technician; just being honest.

Enough of that. Here is my current situation. I now have:

-A working MR60 with a blue light. 

-3 working MS60 satellites with amber lights that do not show up on the Nighthawk app. 

My suspicion is that my hardware decided to upgrade and one of the units was "bricked" in the process. 

Does anybody have a solution for this? I suspect it is something Netgear will have to fix on their end as far as software goes. Should I roll back firmware? Does anyone know a good combination of firmware. I don't remember or even knew at any point what versions or combos were working well together. 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
S_Miller
Initiate

Re: MS60 Amber Lights on All 3 Satellites, Blue Light on MR60. Satellites Have Internet.

I was having pretty much the same issues! Same diagnosis from yesterday evening. Thanks to your Post I got to the solution (with some extras) . The only step missing for you is to upgrade your MR60 firmware to 1.1.6.122. The MS60s are already ok.

So to sum up for the community:
- Upgrade triggered late afternoon yesterday.
- after this, Router kept blue led, 1 satellite was blinking white, 2 were steady amber.
- overnight after a couple resets, nothing happened and the connectivity was terrible!
- This morning after 2 straight hours (luckily within my stay at home holiday) I managed to confirm that: Router had not been well updated (and no upgrade was proposed by the system %#*#), the 2 amber led satellites were good with the 1.1.6.122 version loaded and running, and the white blinking m*** was not reachable (nothing, neither resets, nor direct 1 to 1 ethernet with laptop was effective).

This was it, the full diagnosis. Two upgrades, one to go and one damaged device. Now to the action.

- 2 Satellites were OK so no action.
- Router, upgrade thanks to downloadable package
- Damaged satellite (tricky one): access with direct 1 to 1 ethernet and TFTP file upload.

Here the links to the instructions I used:

* How do I upload firmware to my NETGEAR router using a TFTP client on Microsoft Windows? | Answer | NETGEAR Support
https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-a-TFTP-client-o...

* How to enable TFTP client on Windows 11/10
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

* MR60 Firmware https://www.netgear.com/support/product/mr60.aspx#MR60%20(Mesh%20Router)%20Firmware%20Version%201.1....

* MS60 firmware https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ms60.aspx#download

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: MS60 Amber Lights on All 3 Satellites, Blue Light on MR60. Satellites Have Internet.

They satellites work if  hardwired into the router? 

Try this. turn off the satellites. 

Factory reset one of them and hardwire it into the router and then re-sync it. 

Once resync, give it a couple minutes to fully update/sync. Then disconnect if from the router. 

You might need to resync it again once disconnected. 

Message 2 of 10

The satellites work fine. They just have amber lights and no longer are visable in the nighthawk app but visable via router login.net. The process you are recommending we already tried with tech support. To be clear, everything works it's just the lights that are wrong and the app is now useless.
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 4 of 10

On the MR60: V1.0.6.110
MS60 Satellites: V1.1.6.122
Message 5 of 10
S_Miller
Initiate

I was having pretty much the same issues! Same diagnosis from yesterday evening. Thanks to your Post I got to the solution (with some extras) . The only step missing for you is to upgrade your MR60 firmware to 1.1.6.122. The MS60s are already ok.

So to sum up for the community:
- Upgrade triggered late afternoon yesterday.
- after this, Router kept blue led, 1 satellite was blinking white, 2 were steady amber.
- overnight after a couple resets, nothing happened and the connectivity was terrible!
- This morning after 2 straight hours (luckily within my stay at home holiday) I managed to confirm that: Router had not been well updated (and no upgrade was proposed by the system %#*#), the 2 amber led satellites were good with the 1.1.6.122 version loaded and running, and the white blinking m*** was not reachable (nothing, neither resets, nor direct 1 to 1 ethernet with laptop was effective).

This was it, the full diagnosis. Two upgrades, one to go and one damaged device. Now to the action.

- 2 Satellites were OK so no action.
- Router, upgrade thanks to downloadable package
- Damaged satellite (tricky one): access with direct 1 to 1 ethernet and TFTP file upload.

Here the links to the instructions I used:

* How do I upload firmware to my NETGEAR router using a TFTP client on Microsoft Windows? | Answer | NETGEAR Support
https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-a-TFTP-client-o...

* How to enable TFTP client on Windows 11/10
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

* MR60 Firmware https://www.netgear.com/support/product/mr60.aspx#MR60%20(Mesh%20Router)%20Firmware%20Version%201.1....

* MS60 firmware https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ms60.aspx#download

Good luck!

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

The satellites and the router should be on the same firmware. 

did you try downgrading the satellites? 

Message 7 of 10

You my friend are a genius. Thank you!

You know what's funny? The technician told me that the firmware do not have to match!

Thank you! All lights are now blue! App is in working order! 

Message 8 of 10

Thank you. I am good to go now after upgrading the router to the correct firmware as suggested by Miller.

Thanks for the reply.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked for you!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7