× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect to Australian nbn with xr500

dxtNET
Aspirant

Can't connect to Australian nbn with xr500

Hi, i'm having issues connecting to my nbn network with my xr500 gaming router, currently i'm using a TP link TL-WR840N and that connects fine, i've updated the firmware to the lastest version which I told to do by my ISP (my ISP is Internode, if that helps) but they weren't exactly sure how to configure the settings for the router for FTTN/FTTB. Any help will be appreciated, and if you need anymore information just ask, Thanks 🙂

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Can't connect to Australian nbn with xr500

Yes you're probably right in that you'll need to setup VLAN before you can sustain a connection. Also make sure that you're using 'Always Connect' for PPPoE in Internet Setup. You can go to Settings > Advanced > VLAN / Bridge Settings for VLAN. What you'll likely need to do is select 'By VLAN Tag group' and then edit the existing internet VLAN rule.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When you went through the setup wizard for the XR500 did it initially detect an internet connection? Do you know if you require PPPoE, DHCP 60/61 or VLAN in order to have an internet connection? Easiest solution if you're not sure would be to copy the internet settings from the TP Link and enter them into Internet Setup on the XR500.
Message 2 of 4
dxtNET
Aspirant

Hi, no it didn't connect when I went through the setup wizard. It does require PPPoE and 802.1Q VLAN Tagging, I've coppied everything correctly from my TP Link to my XR500 apart from the 802.1Q VLAN Tag (I think that might be stopping me from connecting to my network) and i'm not sure where to find that in the software. 

Relating to my first post i'm on a HFC NBN Connection not a FTTN/FTTB connection. 

Sorry i'm pretty new to all this networking stuff. 

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes you're probably right in that you'll need to setup VLAN before you can sustain a connection. Also make sure that you're using 'Always Connect' for PPPoE in Internet Setup. You can go to Settings > Advanced > VLAN / Bridge Settings for VLAN. What you'll likely need to do is select 'By VLAN Tag group' and then edit the existing internet VLAN rule.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7