× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk XR700 all wi-fi bands intermittently disabling

SonzofGod
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk XR700 all wi-fi bands intermittently disabling

Anyone else having this issue...no, it was not a cat or kid, the button on the front was not accidentally hit. I have the router mounted vertically on a wall 6' off the floor...

ALL bands, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 60 GHz are disabled. It started yesterday and is intermittent. I tried updating the firmware, it did not help. I have even tried to do a factory RESET, it will not reset. I've held down the reset button in the back for over a minute, nothing. The power light just flashes and never goes orange....I can't even reset it to factory to see if that will fix it...

wtf 

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Netgear Nighthawk XR700 all wi-fi bands intermittently disabling

Does it reset successfully by doing it through the interface? Try that first then set it up, then in Settings > Advanced Settings disable the WiFi radios, apply, reboot then go back, enable, apply, reboot and see if the issue is resolved.
Message 2 of 9
SonzofGod
Tutor

Ok, I reset to factory within the Backup Settings page, clicked on Erase. It took me through the Setup Wizard. OS version is 1.0.1.20. Had no choice there. It currently says the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands are Enabled. I had to create a new SSID so I guess I'll have to reconnect to try and reconnect each device.... I'll post back here and let you know.

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend updating to this firmware as well as it should be more stable: https://kb.netgear.com/000061714/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-24-Hot-Fix
Message 4 of 9
SonzofGod
Tutor

Wow, this router is a pile. I don't see how something can work fine for a year and then just stop.

I downloaded the Hot Fix but it didn't hold. It still shows version V1.0.1.20. I unzipped the file and uploaded it in Firmware Update.

Even when resetting to factory settings is still doesn't work. Won't broadcast the SSID, can't connect to it. The GHz lights just light up then go dark, repeat.

Message 5 of 9
SonzofGod
Tutor

Netgear said they are sending me a new replacement XR700. If it doesn't work I will be done with Netgear for the forseable future....it's ridiculous. I paid $229 for a 2-year support plan that I will be requesting a refund on if this doesn't work. The Gearhead support guys best idea is to replace the router?? Nice.

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What do you mean it didn't hold? If you're talking about it not showing that version in System Information then a browser cache/cookies clear would make it show correctly. If you still have the router to hand I'd recommend uploading the firmware using this method - it uploads the firmware before it properly boots so would get around any corruption of the software: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 7 of 9
SonzofGod
Tutor

Yes, it wasn't showing that version on the dashboard after uploading the new firmware Hot fix. Either way, it isn't working. I can try and do what you are suggesting but that is a TON of steps for an item that should work fine out of the box, especially a $500 router. If the new one doesn't work that they send I will be done with this model, and maybe Netgear. ALL I need is a reliable wifi router that has bandwith allocation and excellent range....not much to ask.

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I totally understand that, I thought while the replacement was on the way that it may be one last thing to try. It is a lot but it's a lot quicker than it looks. Hopefully the replacement will perform better.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7