× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgrear XR1000 Won;'t handle 1GB download speeds?

charleyshf
Tutor

Netgrear XR1000 Won;'t handle 1GB download speeds?

I have had issues before with my XR1000, but this one is troubling. About a week ago we upgraded our internet speeds from 400mbps to 1000mbps download speeds. When I am directly connected to the cable modem with my pc, everything is fine, we are getting over 1000mbps download no problem, but when we hookup the XR1000 between my pc and cable modem we are lucky to get over 733mbps at best. We have tried a factory reset twice with no difference. Ethernet cable from the XR1000 to the cable modem is a Cat6, tried 2 different cables, all new. This is all wired Ethernet btw.

QOS has been off.

Are there any fixes for this?

Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgrear XR1000 Won;'t handle 1GB download speeds?

What cable modem are you connected to? 

have you manually went in a set you speeds to gigabit? 

DumaOS Optimal Settings Guide: Maximum Bandwidth Speeds : NETDUMA

Message 2 of 17
charleyshf
Tutor

Hello,

It's a EU2551 Specs are here - https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/2018-08/spectrum_d31_emta_data_sheet.pdf

Manually set the speeds, are you taking about the XR1000 itself as I have done that, or is there a way to change it on the cable modem?

Thanks

Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

correct, in the router. There isn't anything in the modem. 

did you disable qos? 

1. Go to QoS
  2. Click the three-line menu in top left corner of Congestion Control (Anti-Bufferbloat for older versions)
  3. Tick Disable QoS
  4. Run a third-party speed test (speedtest.net) from a device connected via ethernet (Not WiFi)
Message 4 of 17
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

How are you measuring the speeds? Are you using a third-party speed-test such as speedtest.net? Or are you using the in-built Connection Benchmark?

Message 5 of 17
charleyshf
Tutor

Hello,

I am using speedtest.net to run the tests.,.

Message 6 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you do the steps above to fully disable QoS to see if speeds are higher?
Message 7 of 17
charleyshf
Tutor

Hello,

I went through the entire guide disabling QOS and didn't make any difference, same results. I just don't know what else to try at this point

Message 8 of 17
plemans
Guru

1. try a different test site for the speed. Maybe the one you're on is picking a poor server when ran through the router. 

2. try a factory reset. Test the speed with it in its default settings and see what you get. 

Message 9 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You will lose a little speed when using a router in general as there is more processing going on, compared to a modem which will just pass it all through to the connected device so you'll never get as high as you do directly connected regardless of the router. In WAN Settings disable the protection option and also set NAT to Open, do you get higher then?
Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using Ooklas installable speed test app on a wire connected PC. 

Running speedtest.net in a browser, the browser can cause results to be inaccurate. 

XR10002CAX80ModemModeOver900Wired.png

What CAT# lan cable are you using between the XR router and modem? CAT6 is recommended. 

If you have QoS disabled after a factory reset and setup from scratch, should should see near 900Mbps or maybe just a bit over on a 1Gb download using the speedtest app on a wired PC. 

@charleyshf wrote:

Hello,

I am using speedtest.net to run the tests.,.

Message 11 of 17
charleyshf
Tutor

Hi,

This is my third factory reset in the past few days, and unfortunately it didn't help. I am using a cat 6 ethernet cable, also tried 3 different ones just in case.

Message 12 of 17
charleyshf
Tutor

Hello,

I tried setting NAT to open, and actually the speeds were even slower, which I thought they should of stayed the same at least...

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

And trying a different PC as well? 

You don't need to set NAT filter to open. You should get near 1Gb with either setting. 

I presume you get near 1Gb with the wired PC connected to the modem with out the router? 

I would try a different router to compare results. Possible the XR is just faulty...

Message 14 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Odd that it would be slower as it relaxes the firewall, did disabling the protection option have any affect? Are any other devices heavily using bandwidth when you're doing a speed test?
Message 15 of 17
charleyshf
Tutor

After all the tests, even trying a different cable modem I ended up getting a new Wifi Router (ASUS) and set it up last night. Within minutes I was getting the correct speeds, no issues, no slow internet.Thank You everyone for your help but I have to lean towards the XR1000 being the issue here.

Message 16 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Appreciate you getting back to us, if you still have the XR and wish to continue troubleshooting do let us know!
Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7