× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NightHawk Xr 500 pro gaming

Jreal
Aspirant

NightHawk Xr 500 pro gaming

Still dealing with high ping and lagging even worse now in game. I have never had this bad of a lag. Idk what else to do as of right now. Is something wrong with my router?
Message 1 of 13
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: NightHawk Xr 500 pro gaming

How are you measuring ping? How long has this problem been occurring?
Message 2 of 13
Jreal
Aspirant

Hi jack, it has been going on for about two weeks now and I’ve even done a 1 on 1 and I’ve even bought a new modem just to test and see if it was that or the router, but it seems to be the router. My ISP has replaced everything new and techs have been in and out my house every other week. The problem is the router. I lag in games and the ping is really high Jack. I like the idea of the router and software, but I’m not sure if it’s finished yet. Something seems off
Message 3 of 13
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ok. Fraser will be back online tomorrow so he’ll arrange a 1-1 if needed. I’m sure we can help you get the bottom of the problem!
Message 4 of 13
Jreal
Aspirant

Ok thanks!
Message 5 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Jreal, as I've done two 1 on 1's with you now and as far as I can see your settings are optimal I would recommend contacting the Netgear 24/7 English support line. If you go here: http://support.netgear.com/ and login it should give you a number to call.
Message 6 of 13
Jojo242
Tutor

Hey guys I recently bought the xr500 yesterday an I'm experiencing high pings times. I live in the Bahamas an I've own many routers including the netduma r1. When I go on speedtest.net on my linskys my ping is in the 30s but on the xr500 its in the 50s/60s... I had the same issue with the netgear r7800 which the xr500 replaced... Is there a fix for this issues I saw a post where it says use the old router Mac address but that didn't work for me.I have yet to try the firmware update direct from the website as I use my smart phone to setup the software. I dont think I have two faulty netgear routers so it has to be a setting to turn off or on to adjust/fix this issue
Message 7 of 13
Jreal
Aspirant

Hi, can we do another 1 on 1? My router is acting strange.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 8 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@jojo, the speed test server may have changed so manually change it to one nearer to you. Also consider changing DNS to one more suitable for your location.

@Jreal, we need information on what issues you're having. We can't have 1 on 1's all the time, its used as a final step.
Message 9 of 13
Jojo242
Tutor

The closest server to me is Miami Florida an its still 50/60 ms when I use the xr500 an the r7800 nighthawk...i when I hook up my old Linksys 3500 I get 33 ms on speedtest.net .I has to be a setting on the router to fix this.
Message 10 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It can take a few days for 3rd party routers to sync properly with ISP but other than that local congestion would be the only thing causing it to raise. Use 'Always' and 70% for download/upload on Anti-Bufferbloat.
Message 11 of 13
Jojo242
Tutor

I'm currently using those settings an it still have a high ping.... Should I wait a few days to see if it ISP n the router sync ????
Message 12 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes please, thats the only thing I think that it could possibly be. Don't reboot the modem or router in that time.
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7