× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk XR500 slow wired connections

BrodieStorch
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR500 slow wired connections

I have the lastest firmware on the xr500. I'm getting laughable wired connection download speeds(10mb) (Upload speed is fine 22mb). I tested 2 cat6 cables and mulitple ports. I also confirmed it was a router issue by pluging directly into cable modem obtaining constant 480mb download. Also things i've done= Factory reset, QoS OFF, Speed & Duplex 1gb and 2.5gb my mobo has 2 ethernet ports 1gb, 2,5gb. Tested both ports on xr500 and get slow download speed. Also tested both ports and both cables it straight to modem with no router, and speeds are fine. Wifi isn't a issue at all. This router is a year old. I'm honestly thinking on shooting it at this point and never using the snake oil (gaming router) again. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 22
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk XR500 slow wired connections

Have you went into the qos settings and manually set it for your speeds?

Message 2 of 22
plemans
Guru

Message 3 of 22
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Good question above!

So you're not experiencing any issues with the Wi-Fi? What speeds are you seeing there?

Also, how have you disabled QoS? Make sure you do it by clicking the three-line menu in Congestion Control and select 'Disable QoS'

Message 4 of 22
BrodieStorch
Aspirant

Wifi 480down 23up. Speedtest.net reads my speeds are correct at 480down 23up. But Fast.com and google speedtest both say 10mb. I can tell the difference too while trying to watch streams they constantly buffer, and I even tested downloaing a game on steam. It's very slow. But If I were to connect from PC to modem and not use the xr500 router. All 3 speed test sites show same thing 480down 23up, and a Steam game 800mb download happen in seconds vs 10mins. I even see the lag in game, People tell me im skipping. So somehow it's defaulting to 10mb download. This is really annoying me. I even bought a $20 switch That went between the modem and router. The connection was giving me my max speeds. But if I used wifi at all while using the switch to bypass having to hard wire into router. My wired connection suffered and caused it to buffer. Now the weird thing is. When I have Modem-Router-Cat6-PC The wifi is amazing and doesn't affect wired at all even though it's stuck at 10mb. My mind is blown at this point.

Message 5 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend you reinstall the firmware via TFTP - this will bypass the boot process and any issues that may be lurking there, then do a factory reset. That will give you the freshest install possible, see if it is resolved after that please.
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 6 of 22
BrodieStorch
Aspirant

I just completed what you said. Still getting 480MB-down 23MB-up on ookla. Fast.com and Internet speed test still show 10MB-down 23MB-up "Which is the actual speed" I can tell while trying to watch videos or downloading stuff. I can screen record maybe? This makes no sense at all. Spectrum doesn't even have a stand alone modem with multiple ethernet ports.... Next step is buy a cable modem, and or a new router (Not NETGEAR). "Again wifi speeds are fine and well" this is something rare. Still don't understand how ookla shows my speed. But I can tell it's running actually at 10mb or less. Same ethernet to modem without router all tests are equal, and game download takes 30secs. When I use the router ports I get the CAP. I used the same game to do the testing and with out router flawless. With router i'm having 2004 flashbacks.

Message 7 of 22
BrodieStorch
Aspirant

My mind is blown, I'm defeated. This thing would act up after warranty exp. $250 router that throttles my hard wire....

Message 8 of 22
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway do you have? 

since you can go modem-----switch--------deivces/router  it makes me suspect you have a modem/router combo device. 

Message 9 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is you exact modem model?
Message 10 of 22
BrodieStorch
Aspirant

E31U2V1. It's weird man. I thought you need two IPs for it to work from modem switch router. But I bought that last night to test. I thought It was gonna work. It showed me all speeds on all test sites. The kicker was when I used my mobile device to watch something  I got instant buffering. But if I eliminate the router compeletly and go Modem-PC it works fine and fast without the 10MB cap. Tempted to buy a cheap TP link router at this point.

Message 11 of 22
BrodieStorch
Aspirant

E31U2V1

Message 12 of 22
BrodieStorch
Aspirant

Is it possible ethernet ports can be glitched or bugged? Which would be weird because like I said the Ookla test show its blazing. But other two cap 10mb, and everything else on PC feels that way. 

Message 13 of 22
plemans
Guru

When you did the tftp, did you factory reset? 

And then clean install (not from a backup)?

Don't suppose you have a vpn? 

Message 14 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've seen that modem a few times and people having issues with it, do you have another modem you can try with?
Message 15 of 22
BrodieStorch
Aspirant

Went out bought a TP link $69 router at Walmart. Hooked it up and it works great. I knew the issue is something with the xr500. Now I gotta sell it on CraigsList or Marketplace. Can't beileve how something so expensive can = a paper weight. My next question is do I have to factory reset it one more time before I sell it? 

Message 16 of 22
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that, we'd be happy to assist with further troubleshooting!

What speeds are you now seeing with the replacement router?

Message 17 of 22
Dropbottom
Tutor

I read all your post my friend and its as if i wrote them myself.  I am having the same exact issue with the XR500.  I have a new PC that i built and it has 2 x 2.5Gb ethernet ports.  I am getting wired speeds of approx 80 Down and 20 Up.  On my iphone wifi i am getting 420 Down and 24 Up.  I have all the up to date drivers for the Intel ethernet (ASUS Maximus XIII Hero Z590 motherboard). 

I went through the normal troubleshooting steps and the fact is DUMA OS, we have a problem.  I threw on Spectrum's Horse**bleep** router and gold, works as it should.  

XR500 wired is no Bueno.  i don't know what else to say.

Message 18 of 22
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Do you have QoS configured? If so, what bandwidth speeds did you configure it with?

If you run a connection benchmark, what speeds does it show?

Message 19 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Also on the Device Manager table view what does the link speeds say for the ports?
Message 20 of 22
BrodieStorch
Aspirant

I honestly cannot fathom why it's so hard for someone competent to help me fix this issue. The full duplex of the ports are 1000mb. How many times do I have to say it shows correct speeds on speedtest.net. But on the other sites it's capped at 10mb.I tested it downloaing a 566mb game. It's faster to download it on wifi. When I bought the TP-Link router. The problem is resolved. I'm coming closer to having to return the tp-link or keep it. This is pathetic for something costing $300. It's clearly a bug in the routers brain. 

Message 21 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@BrodieStorch you didn't reply to the question Liam last posted aimed at you, we were replying to Dropbottom. Regardless you mentioned link speed but did not specify whether this is shown on the Device Manager, given you've said the speed is actually capped then it's still a valid question there. If you put the TP link between the modem and XR, what does the XR get for speeds then? You can make a ticket directly with Netgear if you prefer: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7