× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk XR700

tngtx
Tutor

Nighthawk XR700

Observed a higher than normal ping rate during game play 70+ ms versus 20 ms,  I decided to cycle the modem and router which turned to be fatal move.  My XR700 never wanted to broadcast SSID Wifi.  Still having access to configuration I managed to spend countless hours trying different firmware,  older or latest,  nothing changed.  Hard reset,  factory reset nothing worked.  DumaOS seems to never recover from this yet router configuration always seemed to be available.  2.4/5 ghz lights never turned on but 60 ghz lights up.  Paid Netgear support says it's a hardware issue but no one wants to diagnosis the hardware and confirm its a real hardware issue. As any router there has to be logs somewhere right?   1 year usage,  loved the router for geo fencing but now left back with 10 year old netgear to assure i can work and semi play.  No alternatives but buying a new router.  XR1000 seems to have as bad of reviews as ever..   no power spikes occured or nothing...  if someone has deep diagnostics that wish to try i'd be up for it... nothing to lose... beta code,  logging or physically i'll pop the hood on this thing but... how can overnight WIFI decide not to operate boggles me.   If anything the TV would of blowed up too....  any help appreciated but deep diagnosis - all standard troubleshooting has been attempted.... just can't conceive i have to throw away this nice router with no capable use....   

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Nighthawk XR700

Sorry to hear you're having this issue, you could try the DumaOS 3.0 version, it's the first beta build so may be a big buggy. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/XR700-DumaOS-3-0-Beta-Firmware/td-p...

Either using the beta or another firmware I would recommend you upgrade using the TFTP method, this bypasses the boot process and any issues there: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Once you've done that see if the WiFi works, if not factory reset from the interface and see if it brings it back, that will be the freshest installation possible.

Message 2 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

Thanks for the guidance.  Explain to me an observation so I can best understand.   I configured the router initial on an interface... i don't believe it was part of the DumaOS as it had the main router configurations.    The DumaOS let me configure QoS or Geo Fencing which i dont see as part of the main configuration tabs.  Can you explain how i load up DumaOs again?  As once it has the configuration done,  it loops on a webpage saying DumaOS not loaded yet.
I will try DumaOS 3.0 worth any try.  I think the TFTP method will be more powerful than the admin interface... as to be factory reset and still keep my last passwords tells me something is wrong.
Last thing,  if 60 ghz led lights up...  is there any devices that can use it? or it's the enhanced 2.4/5ghz reason why those leds don't light up?  I never really observed when the router worked well...  the factory reset i've done with support was the 8 power offs/with pin in factory reset didn't do much.  Let's hope the best as this is garbage and can't explain how a soft reset would harm the board or attennas which still show the red leds on them.
Thanks!
Message 3 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's odd, going to routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1 should take you straight to DumaOS. Try with the beta and TFTP and if it still happens please post a screenshot. In my experience there are very few devices that can make use of 60GHz and have yet to see anyone use it.
Message 4 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

Am I right to determine this observation? Admin configuration vs DumaOS? Seems two seperate locations...  i'll try TFTP and hope my setup will permit.

Keep you posted after update.

Message 5 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

Also wish to know if the 60hz overides having the 2.4/5ghz leds light up? If this is the case,  I'm looking at something different.   Being a hardware/software guy... if the attennas or something within those lines broke... wouldn't the 60 ghz not light up either?  something is just broken probably in the code... but lets do the TFTP

Message 6 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

Small observation in your comments...  

XR700-V1.0.1.34_Dumaos3.0_6.img · 41.63 MB  is in beta?  I did see a v1.0.1.38 too? Explain me what is goign on here...     the lastest update via the firmware via the admin wasn't successful.   Let's be clear on what is the latest...

Let's hope TFTP overrides all.
Message 7 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I assume you're referring to /adv_index.htm which is the Netgear settings without DumaOS. No it doesn't override it to my knowledge. Yes that is the beta firmware and .38 is the latest non beta version. Let us know how you get on.
Message 8 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

Unfortunately the .36 didn't fix the issue via TFTP.  I will try .38 but don't have much hope.  i need someone to grind the logs and figure out why 2.4/5 ghz isn't lighting up...  i have full control on lighting up 60 ghz... what could be so different.  Below is sign of biggest issue when going straight to 192.168.1.1...  how would one have DumaOS loaded again? 

DumaOS not loaded yet!

Don't worry we will redirect you shortly.

Message 9 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you factory reset after TFTP? The reset should bring it up or a reboot in most cases. It's a bug as I have seen the issue before, something for NG to fix but hoping we can resolve it ourselves.
Message 10 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

Tell me - NetDuma-Fraser - what is behind this username? Are you part of the DumaOs team?

.38 was unsuccessful... same status... nothing lights up on 2.4/5 ghz...  all this via TFTP.

Attached screenshot of what my admin console looks like and i garantee,  this isn't DumaOS.  None of the features around QOS or geo fencing as you see don't show up.. Below message needs to be addressed.

#http://192.168.1.1/desktop/index.html?cache=0#com.netdumasoftware.dashboard# (perhaps there is a address that i can overide or point to that isn't this...)  

DumaOS not loaded yet!

At this point, I expired all options... i need to get in the logs so i can see what is not working.  Can someone give me root access to this router? Some tool to diagnostic...  i don't want to hear it's a hardware issue unless a tool can provide this information.  Let's step it up Netgear... 

Message 11 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I am yes. That's the adv_index.htm page that doesn't include DumaOS, if you remove that part of the URL press enter, can you take a screenshot of what you see there please? There are log files in Settings > Monitoring but I don't think they will show anything. It's been a bug we've seen before and I don't think we can change anything to make it work without a fix - if it is firmware related.
Message 12 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

Glad to hear,  big fan of DumaOs when it worked.  Geo fencing is one of the best feature i've seen... hope to see it run in action once more.

Can you share another link that would get me to the DumaOS without being the default ip 192.168.1.1 as this stuck in a loop where it can't find DumaOS.  

If i remove that part of the URL i get this:

DumaOS not loaded yet!

I will need your help as i have a non functional router...  feel free to send me any undocumented issues as if i'm experiencing a bug... no one is being accountable for it.   What are my options? Netgear to send me a new functional router?  I'm a techie and geek so i could exploit this router as much as you want me to...  but i have a hard time accepting overnight router decided to stop broadcasting SSID... 

Thanks,

Patrick

Message 13 of 32
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Have you performed a factory reset yet? You'll need to do this after you've installed the beta firmware

Message 14 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

Several times,  to previous versions to the newest,  no success.  Multiple factory resets multiple firmware updates.

Please advise how to successfully reinstate DumaOS on this router... also need deep hardware diagnosics... bug or not... some code could certainly be used to extract this data,  please share.

Perhaps with combination of keys or buttons,  harder reset... i don't feel the factory does justice as if it did,  my device password would be wiped.   Need a hard reset on this router,  a successful one with logs.

Thank you! Patrick

Message 15 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1 should get you on the interface, if you're faced with it not loading again then clear your browser cache/cookies and try again. If that doesn't work unplug the router entirely from power for 10 minutes, that will let the residual power drain, then try.
Message 16 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

192.168.1.1 doesn't get me in to the normal DumaOS which it shows Geo Filter or QOS but simple setup/admin/advance admin.... routerlogin.net will bring me to that setup page but not the usual red screen but a grey setup page.

192.168.1.1 shows DumaOS not load yet!  nobody can explain nor nobody can explain why the 2.4/5ghz led/functionality not broadcast as SSID.

Browser cache has been cleared, firmware applied and so much time powered off,  you can count 24h and this router isn't the full same router code that I initial had... i don't get to the real DumaOS red screen but grey setup/admin.

Wish we were heading in better directions to resolution than same documentated steps that have not worked.  

Message 17 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If TFTP is not restoring functionality of the interface at all and the WiFi is gone, which is a known bug then it sounds like it is faulty and there is nothing you can do unfortunately except try to pursue a replacement.
Message 18 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

The 60 ghz isn't gone but no device can operate at that speed.  It's interesting that no deep debugging features to determine that the router is really dead or faulty hardware.  Netgear has overturned a RMA last second especially when i was expecting a new XR700 router.   I'm super bitter as i have a faulty hardware with normal operation.   Least Netgear could do is help a loyal Netgear customer.    I stay bitter and not very happy that i paid $600 for a high end consumer product and left dry not even 1 year in my experience with this product.   Spent tons of time trying to resolve,  unfortunate outcome.

Message 19 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can go to routerlogin.net/debug.htm connect a USB and start debug capture and see it to @TimChang but it may not indicate the issue if it is partly hardware. Sorry I can't help further
Message 20 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

Send Tim a private message, unfortunately couldn't attach the router log files.   There are attached to this thread,  hoping we can find valuable information.  If not,  let's find other ways to get deep logs and hopefully find a resolution.  Please advise on where to send the debug logs as I can't send a zip file.

Message 21 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

@TimChang If you guys can share any other router commands i can send to the router to initialize 2.4/5ghz this would be helpful.  Obvious some extracts of the logs are concerning and seem semi hardware/software related.   As I expressed,  there is no way to share the logs as .zip isn't accepted so please share a repository i can send them.  Meanwhile,  here are two attachments that are noticable.

Ignore time stamp - seems off by a few weeks

[2021_01_14-07:33:49] ########### [ Th
[2021_01_14-07:33:49] u, 14 Jan 2021 07:33:49 -0600 start ] #############
[2021_01_14-07:33:49] sysinit: Configuration: NTP server : time-a.netgear.com Interval : Configuration
[2021_01_14-07:33:49] file: /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf
[2021_01_14-07:33:49]
[2021_01_14-07:33:49] sysinit: Could not open configuration file '/var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf' for reading.
[2021_01_14-07:33:49] sysinit: Failed to set up interface with /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf
[2021_01_14-07:33:49] sysinit: Failed to initialize interface
[2021_01_14-07:33:50] sysinit: 11ad link loss watch do
[2021_01_14-07:33:50] g is alive
[2021_01_14-07:33:50]
[2021_01_14-07:33:51] thermaltool: wifi1: No such device
[2021_01_14-07:33:51] thermaltool: wifi0: No such device
[2021_01_14-07:33:52] ########### [ Thu, 14 Jan 2021 07:33:52 -0600 end ] #############
[2021_01_14-07:33:56] thermaltool: wifi1: No such device
[2021_01_14-07:33:56] thermaltool: wifi0: No such device
[2021_01_14-07:33:57] ########### [ Thu, 14 Jan 2021 07:33:57 -0600 start ] #############
[2021_01_14-07:33:59] Save the collect log into debug-log.zip and upload to user

Message 22 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can upload to dropbox for example and then send the link. As I said, this has happened before and has been classed as a hardware issue, it's unlikely they will be able to bring it back but see if Tim replies.
Message 23 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

I've sent link to Onedrive in PM to you @Netduma-Fraser @Netduma-Liam @TimChang but it would require an email.  Hopefully you can request access via the link sent.  Hoping you have interesting feedback to share from logs.  Wondering why at this stage Netgear can't simply send me a replacement/new/used/refurbished of any kind to remediate the issue.  Seems straight forward from a manufacturer to do the right thing?  Once Netgear has the router in their hands they can fix, apply corrections or trash it but without leaving a customer hanging dry.   I'd totally understand if I voided the warranty or messed around with the router but this is a hardware failure.

Hope someone at Netgear can acknowledge and do what is right regardless of the origin of this router or how it was acquired.  It hasn't been tampered with... used for work and gaming but ceased to broadcast SSID after a powercycle.

Thanks for your help.

Patrick

Message 24 of 32
tngtx
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser @Netduma-Liam @TimChang any chance to see the logs?  also,  is there a command line to activate/shutdown attenna or signal to 2.4/5 ghz via telnet?

thanks,  Patrick

Message 25 of 32
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7